ETFs / mutual funds for crypto currency?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
ShaftoesSpreadsheet

ETFs / mutual funds for crypto currency?

Post by ShaftoesSpreadsheet »

Locked: See this post by the site owner: New Forum Policy Prohibiting Discussions of Cryptocurrency, Market Manipulation Schemes, etc as Investing Strategies

I don't want to bother with buying crypto currencies (bitcoin, ethereum, etc) with a wallet or some shady app / exchange. However I wouldn't mind holding a very small amount of my net worth in crypto currencies using a Roth account.

Are there any decent funds out there (yet)?

Is this pointless FOMO driven investing? Probably. Still I think it is interesting to watch it all unfold. Owning a small bit of it keeps me in the loop, could work out as a nice hedge.
bloom2708

Re: ETFs / mutual funds for crypto currency?

Post by bloom2708 »

PayPal isn’t shady. You can buy in PayPal quite easily.

Fees apply.

An ETF at this point would not be the same.
txhill

Post by txhill »

BLOK might be what you want. Tracks companies that are exposed to crypto, even if a bit indirectly. I don’t know of an ETF that tracks just cryptos yet— would need SEC approval first. I’m personally just buying BTC and ETH directly, but it is a bit of a pain in the butt. Although that barrier to entry also means we are still early :)
derlen

Post by derlen »

The most well-known and largest ticker for bitcoin exposure in the US is GBTC which is available via OTC. Just be aware that the premium (price vs nav) can fluctuate wildly. Currently GBTC is trading at a pretty hefty premium discount of -6% to -10% against nav. At other times of bitcoin “bull” runs, it has been upwards of 30-50% premium. It wouldn’t be a horrible time to buy in at a discount, but not sure if the situation will worsen... if/when it becomes an approved ETF, the premium should basically go away so it could be a decent speculative play too. Definitely non-bogleheadish. :D

Grayscale offers other funds beyond GBTC: https://grayscale.co/
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Simple ways to buy: mutual fund BTC; PayPal
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

There is another thread also on this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=345898