Which would you do with a small windfall? Pay remaining mortgage or 3-fund it?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
lazynovice

Re: Which would you do with a small windfall? Pay remaining mortgage or 3-fund it?

Post by lazynovice »

Orange_Philosophy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:18 pm I thought I'd come back and update. Checks all finally clear after closing and I got a little more than expected but in the end I decided to pay off the house and keep the $100K left over to pay the IRS their cut and invest the rest. I now have zero debt @52 hoping to stick a fork in it in 4 years or so.
Congratulations!
bradinsky

Re: Which would you do with a small windfall? Pay remaining mortgage or 3-fund it?

Post by bradinsky »

Orange_Philosophy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:18 pm I thought I'd come back and update. Checks all finally clear after closing and I got a little more than expected but in the end I decided to pay off the house and keep the $100K left over to pay the IRS their cut and invest the rest. I now have zero debt @52 hoping to stick a fork in it in 4 years or so.
I think that was a wise decision on your part. I think it’s a great feeling to know that you own your home free & clear. Many never achieve that. Congratulations!

Brad
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

Since our mortgage rate is 2.7%, we would three-fund it, figuring we would beat 2.7% in most years.