Roll over IRA adn Self Directed IRA

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
dfw_north

Roll over IRA adn Self Directed IRA

Post by dfw_north »

My wife has money in her Roll over IRA. It was rolled over from 401K plan from her previous employer. She plans to move some of that money to a Self directed IRA - where the amount gets invested in some Real estate. Self directed IRA will get dividend every quarter. My questions are

1) Can she transfer those quarterly dividends into the Roll over IRA?
2) Can she transfer Self directed IRA into Rollover IRA, when the real estate property gets sold?

Thank you in advance,
Silk McCue

Re: Roll over IRA adn Self Directed IRA

Post by Silk McCue »

Can you clarify the reason for the desired machinations?

Cheers
Topic Author
dfw_north

Post by dfw_north »

Thank you. We would like to invest in some real estate via a syndicate; we could not do that in rollover Ira.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I thought a lot of the benefits of real estate investing had to do with tax deductions and such.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Here’s what I know/believe.

1) The transfer of the quarterly dividends has to be custodian to custodian as you are only able to make one indirect rollover per year (as in 365/366 days point to point) from any of your IRAs. Serious IRS issues if you violate that rule. This issue is not specific to a Self Directed IRA.

2) Once the Self Directed IRA is in cash you can roll back to your Rollover IRA.

If I am wrong someone will assuredly correct me.

Alan S. Please take a look at this question and provide your expert feedback.
Alan S. wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:34 pm
Cheers
Topic Author
dfw_north

Post by dfw_north »

placeholder wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:46 pm I thought a lot of the benefits of real estate investing had to do with tax deductions and such.
Thank you. Good to know.
Topic Author
dfw_north

Post by dfw_north »

Silk McCue wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:07 pm Here’s what I know/believe.

1) The transfer of the quarterly dividends has to be custodian to custodian as you are only able to make one indirect rollover per year (as in 365/366 days point to point) from any of your IRAs. Serious IRS issues if you violate that rule. This issue is not specific to a Self Directed IRA.

2) Once the Self Directed IRA is in cash you can roll back to your Rollover IRA.

If I am wrong someone will assuredly correct me.

Alan S. Please take a look at this question and provide your expert feedback.
Alan S. wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:34 pm
Cheers
Thank you sir. Regarding point 1) you can only do one rollover per year even between brokerages? For example, you can only take advantage of brokerage bonuses on eve per year per account??? Just curious..
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Notice that was for indirect rollovers which is money have comes out of an ira in cash to you and doesn't apply to custodian to custodian transfers.