How little can I leave in VMRXX?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
FOGU

How little can I leave in VMRXX?

Post by FOGU »

Vanguard Cash Reserves Federal Money Market Fund Admiral Shares (VMRXX). There is a $3k minimum initial investment, but I don't see anything about a minimum balance after that.

I am holding cash for an eventuality that could pop any time in the next 6 to 12 months. I am going to move that cash to a HYSA paying .5% instead of the .01% paid by VMRXX. A couple hundred bucks is a couple hundred bucks, amirite???

I was planning to leave only about $20 in VMRXX to keep it available for future deposits if necessary. Anyone foresee a problem arising from that move?
Nicolas

Re: How little can I leave in VMRXX?

Post by Nicolas »

I’ve had about 49¢ in that fund for months now.
Topic Author
FOGU

Post by FOGU »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:10 pm I’ve had about 49¢ in that fund for months now.
I wish I'd done it months ago too.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

FOGU wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:07 pm I was planning to leave only about $20 in VMRXX to keep it available for future deposits if necessary. Anyone foresee a problem arising from that move?
This won't be a problem. ^^^^^^

If you drain the account to $0, then it would take $3,000 to start it up again.

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:10 pm I’ve had about 49¢ in that fund for months now.
I have 1 cent in VMFXX. I emptied it out entirely last year, but it paid out a penny in interest in January.