18 to 100 percent annual return fund

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Marseille07

Re: 18 to 100 percent annual return fund

Post by Marseille07 »

johnsmithsf wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:23 am I guess he is saying something like with his options technique, you make money when market moves in the expected direction, but has another option as an insurance if market moves in the opposite direction. :?: I wonder why other option guys haven't figured this out and make a killing :? . He talks about his 6 level training course in his copyrighted strategy
People have, this is called hedging. The problem is you pay the cost of insurance and it's not going to be as profitable w/o hedging. No free lunch here.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

What I find worrying is that all the media reports of outsized returns by very inexperienced investors is going to make the pickings much more plentiful for conmen. Some lucky few hit the jackpot on TSLA options, or Reddit meme stocks, or whatever, and it will raise the FOMO to a fever pitch.

Heck, some recent posts on BH have bragged (humble or otherwise) about their good fortune with insane returns (which are of course possible but rare with options). I hope OP and other less seasoned investors don’t jump on board.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

I skipped through the video to try to see what they were talking about. The guy mostly just claims high returns, only lost 3.5% in 2020, and he has a foundation with "150 volunteers" making a lot of poor people in India rich, or something. He also claims to have raised $900 million in the past year. He has 5 levels of investors, where if you are accepted into level 5, you make more money. I didn't hear anything about investing method, but there is some kind of online course you can take. Sigh.

Youtube comment section is interesting also (answered by the video poster).

Q: "This is great ! Where can I see your portfolio P&L?"
A: "Great question!"

Q: "Where can we see proof of these claims?"
A: "I agree!"
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

You could invest 5% play money, and see how it goes.
--If/when you make a profit, scrape your winnings off the table.
--If/when you lose, then it was a cheap lesson.

You should expect invitations to contribute more, so you earn more. Don't do it. Never invest more than 5%.

Worst case? You'll get a tax-loss harvest.

Remember to report back on your success.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

humbledinvestor wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:10 am I wonder the same thing. Why bother hawking crap on YouTube if he is making money hand over fist. Why not make money and relax. Beware of GK Madoff.
Well, DFV (of the GameStop fame) was on youtube for years and see what he has done now.

I really do not believe OP is serious. He has registered on BH forum since 2017. He certainly knew about the reception he will be getting for this topic before creating it.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

OP, you should read the disclosures (https://nanbanenterprise.com/wp-content ... 0.2020.pdf)
Section-4: Fees and Compensation
Our fees will range from 1.5% to 1.75% per year based on the total value of the portfolio. The fee
structure and schedule are negotiable.
• If the portfolio value is above or equal to $1M, then the fixed fee is 1.5% per year.
• If the portfolio value is less than $1M, then the fixed fee is 1.75% per year.
That is mighty expensive if you ask me...
celia

Post by celia »

johnsmithsf wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:07 am This acquaintance has been telling me that I am missing out on an opportunity of a life time which can lead to early retirement. He has already invested in this.
Of course, he is getting rich- - by all the suckers ”investors” he has sending him money.

If he was this good, why wouldn’t he would sell all his other assets (including his house(s), if he has any) and make himself rich instead of selling his “services”.

Answer: Because he can make more by getting other people to send their money to him.

I’ll wager in a year from now, you won’t even get half your money back.
Topic Author
johnsmithsf

Post by johnsmithsf »

wrongfunds wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:54 am
humbledinvestor wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:10 am I wonder the same thing. Why bother hawking crap on YouTube if he is making money hand over fist. Why not make money and relax. Beware of GK Madoff.

I really do not believe OP is serious. He has registered on BH forum since 2017. He certainly knew about the reception he will be getting for this topic before creating it.
Well, I mostly invest Bogle style, but also do some investing in individual tech stocks and ARK funds. So not 100% passive. Market gods in 2020 have been kind to me. Better to be lucky than smart I guess :D
And here comes this SEC registered guy with the promise of astronomical returns and no risk to the principle who is being interviewed on YouTube by Investment Community.
Posted this in this blog as his promised returns did get my attention. It was sold to me by a high net worth acquaintance as an upcoming Hedge Fund with the rare opportunity to get in and retire early and he is investing in it himself!.
And I didn't know who else to ask as right now most of my friends are in speculative stock mania :twisted: Some are even into penny stocks :oops:
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

johnsmithsf wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:05 pm...
And here comes this SEC registered guy with the promise of astronomical returns and no risk to the principle who is being interviewed on YouTube by Investment Community.
Bernie Madoff was also SEC registered.
Search: https://www.google.com/search?q=was+ber ... ith+SEC%3F
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Can anyone else smell the horse manure on this thread? I didn’t know my computer could do that.

The fact that the greatest investor of all time has a lifetime average under 20%, I would be highly suspect of anyone you never heard of stating they can double your money every year.

Why isn't this guy ruling the world by now?
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Topic Author
johnsmithsf

Post by johnsmithsf »

In hindsight, it does make sense that I should stay away from this. I got too greedy I guess to think about this.
Perhaps I should warn my acquaintance as well.
I wonder how SEC allows such kind of advertisements of astronomical returns
Candor

Post by Candor »

I'm not sure if I'm getting the right read on you guys but I'm beginning to think this might be a bad idea.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

johnsmithsf wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:38 pm In hindsight, it does make sense that I should stay away from this. I got too greedy I guess to think about this.
Perhaps I should warn my acquaintance as well.
I wonder how SEC allows such kind of advertisements of astronomical returns
That's the right decision, to stay far away from this.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
newguy123

Post by newguy123 »

Look into optionsellers.com saga and how this guy who wrote books on selling options and appeared as a guest commenter on cnbc blew up selling options ... should give you a hint at anyone who claims to be an expert lol. Oh if you want a laugh here is his apology video after losing the money and leaving the people who invested with him owing the broker money (yes they actually OWED money after this saga)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI395YShGRQ

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/ne ... ns-to.html
Would I rather relax and make money or make money and relax ?
dru808

Post by dru808 »

runninginvestor wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:25 am https://adviserinfo.sec.gov/individual/ ... ineSection

The main guy you linked to has less than 1 year if experience according to his SEC search.

Edit: just realized the entire firm is new as of The middle of 2020. That's very forward looking return projections.
Get in early at the top and only the people after you are suckers. 🥳👍
1 fund
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

Perhaps it is just me, but if I could generate returns like this, I would keep it all to myself. I would eventually become a billionaire.
Godot

Post by Godot »

HomerJ wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:03 am
johnsmithsf wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:07 am I don't know much about options and he is claiming 18 to more than 100% annual returns with options with his technique with no risk to the principle.
That's why it has piqued my interest.
Why does an obvious lie pique your interest?

Or maybe it's not obvious to you. Okay, we can help, since we're older and wiser. It's a lie.
Which one's a lie?
"The day you die is just like any other, only shorter." | ― Samuel Beckett
MidwestMet

Post by MidwestMet »

MarkBarb wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:43 am You should watch some episodes of American Greed.
Yep. That was my immediate thought.

When you see someone “guarantee” a future market condition, I “guarantee” it’s a scam.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

newguy123 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:48 pm Look into optionsellers.com saga and how this guy who wrote books on selling options and appeared as a guest commenter on cnbc blew up selling options ... should give you a hint at anyone who claims to be an expert lol. Oh if you want a laugh here is his apology video after losing the money and leaving the people who invested with him owing the broker money (yes they actually OWED money after this saga)

It was painful to watch the apology when it came out, and it still is. The guy appeared to be remorseful, but that won't get back his clients' money unfortunately.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

hi_there wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:05 pm
newguy123 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:48 pm Look into optionsellers.com saga and how this guy who wrote books on selling options and appeared as a guest commenter on cnbc blew up selling options ... should give you a hint at anyone who claims to be an expert lol. Oh if you want a laugh here is his apology video after losing the money and leaving the people who invested with him owing the broker money (yes they actually OWED money after this saga)

It was painful to watch the apology when it came out, and it still is. The guy appeared to be remorseful, but that won't get back his clients' money unfortunately.
Here's a great write up of the whole thing blowed up by ERN.

https://earlyretirementnow.com/2018/12/ ... s-debacle/
redmaw

Post by redmaw »

jarjarM wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:11 pm

You beat me to, I literally copied that address already.

Now to be fair, peple should stop calling this a ponzi. It was posted above you deposit your money in a third party broker account, and he trades for you. That in itself is legitimate (no saying a good idea) so its not a ponzi. That said, if you are getting up to 100% return while being "market neutral" there must be a ton of leverage, which opens you not only to loss of capital, but potentially owing more money then you initially invested. Based on when this company started (July) I wonder whose portfolio this guy ruined in March. I wonder if googling his home address will find a laundry list of failed companies in his wake.
Last edited by redmaw on Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Godot wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:52 pm
HomerJ wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:03 am
johnsmithsf wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:07 am I don't know much about options and he is claiming 18 to more than 100% annual returns with options with his technique with no risk to the principle.
Why does an obvious lie pique your interest?

Or maybe it's not obvious to you. Okay, we can help, since we're older and wiser. It's a lie.
Which one's a lie?
The high-llghted words.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
Dregob

Post by Dregob »

What amazes me about these false promises is that if you could do that you wouldn't waste your time managing someone else's money.
100% return turns $2,000 into a million dollars in 10 years!
Topic Author
johnsmithsf

Post by johnsmithsf »

redmaw wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:23 pm

Now to be fair, peple should stop calling this a ponzi. It was posted above you deposit your money in a third party broker account, and he trades for you. That in itself is legitimate (no saying a good idea) so its not a ponzi. That said, if you are getting up to 100% return while being "market neutral" there must be a ton of leverage, which opens you not only to loss of capital, but potentially owing more money then you initially invested. Based on when this company started (July) I wonder whose portfolio this guy ruined in March. I wonder if googling his home address will find a laundry list of failed companies in his wake.
He advertises five level of option strategies.

Level 1 & 2. His Organization teaches you for free. You are supposed to earn at least 20%/year on your own with this

Level 3, 4 and 5. Apparently you have to give his organization your money and organization invests your money on the basis of their Level 3, 4 and 5 strategies. As I understand, you won't get detailed transaction report in order to keep Level 3, 4 and 5 strategies secret.
You will get a K1 at the end of the year. You are supposed to earn at least 50%/year with his help

So apparently account won't be under your control and you won't know what transactions happened
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

He didn't run an investment firm before this. According to the interview, he had a "high paying job in a Fortune 100 IT Company".
Patzer

Post by Patzer »

johnsmithsf wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:27 am Hi,
One of my acquaintance referred me to this guy for investment. This financial guru who runs his own fund is claiming that he generates up to 100 percent annual return with his option strategy and that too consistently and without a risk of loss. He says less than 20% annual return is really bad.
Is it possible? Am I missing something here? I have never seen such a confident financial guru before. Also I have never heard about his company before. Have you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXsvLwzVyxw
https://nanbanenterprise.com/meet-gk/
Total BS. If this guy could actually do that reliably he would be a bigger star than Dalio or Buffett.
He either had a few good years of returns and is shouting about them now, knowing he may fall flat next year and lose 100%, or he is straight up operating a Ponzi scheme.
A Ponzi scheme just got busted by the SEC that was promising 8% monthly returns. They raised 1.7 billion from 17,000 investors and the investors booked a 41% loss before the scam was called out.
shess

Post by shess »

hi_there wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:56 pm

He didn't run an investment firm before this. According to the interview, he had a "high paying job in a Fortune 100 IT Company".
Hell, I had a high-paying job at a Fortune 100 company, those are a dime a dozen.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

shess wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:15 am
hi_there wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:56 pm

Hell, I had a high-paying job at a Fortune 100 company, those are a dime a dozen.
WIMPS!
I was Fortune 20.
:beer
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

johnsmithsf wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:24 pm

He advertises five level of option strategies.

Level 1 & 2. His Organization teaches you for free. You are supposed to earn at least 20%/year on your own with this

Level 3, 4 and 5. Apparently you have to give his organization your money and organization invests your money on the basis of their Level 3, 4 and 5 strategies. As I understand, you won't get detailed transaction report in order to keep Level 3, 4 and 5 strategies secret.
You will get a K1 at the end of the year. You are supposed to earn at least 50%/year with his help

So apparently account won't be under your control and you won't know what transactions happened
That's horrifying. Making transactions on your behalf but you don't know what they are? Hard pass.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Why is anyone taking this seriously when this guy provides no description of his strategy or proof of returns?
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

One of my acquaintance referred me to this guy for investment. This financial guru who runs his own fund is claiming that he generates up to 100 percent annual return with his option strategy and that too consistently and without a risk of loss. He says less than 20% annual return is really bad.
Is it possible? Am I missing something here? I have never seen such a confident financial guru before. Also I have never heard about his company before. Have you?

I’m not falling for the click-bait. Wish your acquaintance well in his future endeavors. Then read this wiki, if you haven’t done so already.
Topic Author
johnsmithsf

Post by johnsmithsf »

DesertDiva wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:14 am

I’m not falling for the click-bait. Wish your acquaintance well in his future endeavors. Then read this wiki, if you haven’t done so already.
Thanks to Bogleheads, I have learned my lesson. I am no longer interested in investing with this guy
Will try to warn the acquaintance in a delicate way. He is committed to this and is investing BIG time into this (minimum investment I think is 100k). I fear that most likely he won't listen to me.
Anon9001

Post by Anon9001 »

johnsmithsf wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:27 am
If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
Land/Real Estate:89.4% (Land/RE is Inheritance which will be recieved in 10-20 years) Equities:7.6% Fixed Income:1.7% Gold:0.8% Cryptocurrency:0.5%
birdog

Post by birdog »

johnsmithsf wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:12 am Thanks to Bogleheads, I have learned my lesson. I am no longer interested in investing with this guy
Will try to warn the acquaintance in a delicate way. He is committed to this and is investing BIG time into this (minimum investment I think is 100k). I fear that most likely he won't listen to me.
After checking out both links you posted I am even more skeptical of this guy. I don't see how this works out well for his investors.
jeroly

Post by jeroly »

johnsmithsf wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:07 am This acquaintance has been telling me that I am missing out on an opportunity of a life time which can lead to early retirement. He has already invested in this.
I don't know much about options and he is claiming 18 to more than 100% annual returns with options with his technique with no risk to the principle.
There is no risk to the principle because this con artist has no principles.
There is complete risk of loss of your principal, however.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Should I feel sorry for any able minded person who chooses to do such a thing with their money?? As I once heard: Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Wiggums wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:27 am
magicrat wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:22 am
I don't know much about options and he is claiming 18 to more than 100% annual returns with options with his technique with no risk to the principle.
If this guy can in fact do this, why on earth would he do it for you?
+1000

Exactly....the “why” is conveniently overlooked in these scams
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

johnsmithsf wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:12 am . . . . .
Thanks to Bogleheads, I have learned my lesson. I am no longer interested in investing with this guy
. . . . .
It's very good :D to see that you are no longer interested in this scam.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

desi guys?
shess

Post by shess »

johnsmithsf wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:12 am
DesertDiva wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:14 am

Personally, that's a battle I'm not willing to engage in. People make poor financial decisions all the time. Sometimes, I have real information which can inform their decision - but, in this case, I don't think anyone has real information, like say a video of the investment guy saying "We're going to get so rich stealing money!" Having a direct he-said/she-said argument about something I don't know specifics of is just not pleasant, and is unlikely to make anyone happy. And it's 100% guaranteed that the investment guy isn't going to post a video saying "Mea culpa, I was totally wrong", so you'll never be certain you did the right thing.

Also, if you just point him at this thread and leave it at that, then you can provide us with yearly updates on how his investment is doing!
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

johnsmithsf wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:27 am Am I missing something here?
Of course you are missing something.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

If he could really produce those returns he wouldn't need nickle and dime accounts he'd have big dollar investors or just borrow money and invest for himself.
saagar_is_cool

Post by saagar_is_cool »

They have 2 modes for it. One is a non-profit that teaches you Level 1 and Level 2 strategies, that is free and do It Yourself. Essentially it goes something like this

Buy SPY, then sell calls on it and collect premium, and buy put insurance for it. Net net, collect the premium as cash flow. I joined their trainings happening last week and this week.

They say advanced strategies are Level 3, 4 and 5 part of hedge funds which is the for-profit enterprise charging 1.5% - 1.75% fees. This is managed by them but they don’t reveal what those Level 3, 4 and 5 are.

I was considering doing hedgefund with 5-10% of portfolio as noted in my thread hnder Risky Portfolio RP2 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=339697. But after reading this thread, I am going to stay away from the hedgefund and do the Level 1 / Level 2 strategies myself and check the performance.

What is interesting is they “interpret” Retirement gamble” PBS show and the Buffett sayings as if they apply to them, they don’t solicit hedgefunds in their trainings under non-profit but it feels very much like a sales funnel ti bring people in. The session I attended today had about 3800 participants today. The volunteers of non-profit seem genuine from the trainings and to be honest, I thought about the hedgefund for a little while. But after the reality check from this thread, I will just try Level 1 and Level 2 on my own under my RP2
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

Too good to be true. Risk is always commensurate with rewards -- there's no free lunch. Note that Madoff offered much lower returns, so he could keep it going for a long time. This one is likely to blow up sooner. On the other hand, ridiculously high returns scare away the skeptical and help attract a more pliable "customer base," which is probably a good thing if you're the one running the operation. I wonder if the exit plan is to abscond overseas?

That said, these work because greed makes people overlook the warning signs. Authorities probably won't get involved until after it blows up. Even with Madoff, tipsters were ignored for years. As the purveyor, if you can get the money and go where there's no extradition risk, then you win.

I wouldn't touch this with a 20ft pole...
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

random_walker_77 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:10 pm Too good to be true. Risk is always commensurate with rewards -- there's no free lunch. Note that Madoff offered much lower returns, so he could keep it going for a long time. This one is likely to blow up sooner. On the other hand, ridiculously high returns scare away the skeptical and help attract a more pliable "customer base," which is probably a good thing if you're the one running the operation. I wonder if the exit plan is to abscond overseas?

That said, these work because greed makes people overlook the warning signs. Authorities probably won't get involved until after it blows up. Even with Madoff, tipsters were ignored for years. As the purveyor, if you can get the money and go where there's no extradition risk, then you win.

I wouldn't touch this with a 20ft pole...
Your post sounds like the narration from American Green, until the 20ft pole part... :beer
LakesandRivers

Post by LakesandRivers »

000 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:33 am Run, don't walk, away.
I’d suggest sprinting...
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

wrongfunds wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:01 am desi guys?
I'm not Indian, but yes, if you google "Nanban Enterprise", you will get more specifics.

Looks like the guy is local to me in the DFW area :oops:

OP, I'm glad you decided to pass on this "opportunity."
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
Topic Author
johnsmithsf

Post by johnsmithsf »

Hmm, as I feared, my acquaintance listened, but didn't agree. He is now recruiting other folks.

Multiple LLC are being formed by other unknown folks who charge 2% processing fees from him and his friends and funnel money into this via LLCs. Millions of dollars are being actively poured into it at a very fast rate...

People are discussing how to invest more in order to achieve diamond or platinum status so that the fund does not take 60% share of the profit (which they apparently do for more than 20% annual gain) once you get expected >90% annual gains :shock:
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

johnsmithsf wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:13 pm

Hmm, as I feared, my acquaintance listened, but didn't agree. He is now recruiting other folks.

Multiple LLC are being formed by other unknown folks who charge 2% processing fees from him and his friends and funnel money into this via LLCs. Millions of dollars are being actively poured into it at a very fast rate...

People are discussing how to invest more in order to achieve diamond or platinum status so that the fund does not take 60% share of the profit (which they apparently do for more than 20% annual gain) once you get expected >90% annual gains :shock:
Curious -- how did your acquaintance come to learn about this "enterprise"?
Topic Author
johnsmithsf

Post by johnsmithsf »

jaqenhghar wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:16 pm
johnsmithsf wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:13 pm

Curious -- how did your acquaintance come to learn about this "enterprise"?
I have absolutely no clue