stock analysis S&P 500

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
iraconfused

stock analysis S&P 500

Post by iraconfused »

Hello Bogleheads. I hope all are safe and well.

I have a question I hope someone can answer or tell me where to go so I can see it myself. I would like to see or know the breakdown of the S&P 500 stock analysis. How much is large growth & value & mid growth & value. On FB I joined a Dave Ramsey group just to break the boredom. As you know DR is all growth. These people have drunk the juice. Have a chat with a guy who says S&P is a joke when he is comparing apples to oranges.

So if someone here can tell me where to go or show me the breakdown it would be appreciated.

Thank you
retired@50

Re: stock analysis S&P 500

Post by retired@50 »

I'd start at the source.
See links below. There are a variety of indices from S&P. Value, Pure Value, Growth, Pure Growth, etc.
https://www.spglobal.com/spdji/en/indic ... /#overview
https://www.spglobal.com/spdji/en/indic ... /#overview

Check the methodology section of the fact sheets for what characteristics they are using to lump stocks into the value or growth bucket.

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

Go the the Barcharts website. Go to the stocks tab, and then the S&P indices tab. Scroll down till you see S&P components and you'll have the whole index. You can then select fundamentals as the "view" and can see the market capitalizations and net income, among other things. If you sign in for free, you can select your own parameters to view and sort by. I find it very useful and interesting.
Topic Author
iraconfused

Post by iraconfused »

retired@50 & boglegrappler thank you
happysteward

Post by happysteward »

Here is vfiax from M*

"How much money is enough?", John Rockefeller responded, "...just a little bit more."
Topic Author
iraconfused

Post by iraconfused »

Thank you happysteward!!!!! That is what I was looking for
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

happysteward,

Where is the missing 4%?
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

I thought all the stocks in the S&P 500 are "large" by definition.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Thesaints wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:12 pm I thought all the stocks in the S&P 500 are "large" by definition.
The S&P 500 index consists of stocks of selected large-cap and mid-cap U.S. companies.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Thesaints wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:12 pm I thought all the stocks in the S&P 500 are "large" by definition.
The S&P 500 index consists of stocks of selected large-cap and mid-cap U.S. companies.

iraconfused wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:18 pm Hello Bogleheads. I hope all are safe and well.

I have a question I hope someone can answer or tell me where to go so I can see it myself. I would like to see or know the breakdown of the S&P 500 stock analysis. How much is large growth & value & mid growth & value. On FB I joined a Dave Ramsey group just to break the boredom. As you know DR is all growth. These people have drunk the juice. Have a chat with a guy who says S&P is a joke when he is comparing apples to oranges.

So if someone here can tell me where to go or show me the breakdown it would be appreciated.

Thank you
Simply use the ticker symbol for the fund or ETF you are considering in Morningstar's free "Instant X-Ray" tool
Last edited by ruralavalon on Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
CardioMD

Post by CardioMD »

ruralavalon wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:58 pm
Also, the definition has a little subjectivity to it as well which is why they delayed Tesla, and others, entry.

I believe it was Mr. Bogle that said the S&P 500 essentially offers active management. Something to think about for those that crave active.
“The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing.” -Jack Bogle
happysteward

Post by happysteward »

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:05 pm happysteward,

Where is the missing 4%?
I’m guessing rounding protocols at M*
"How much money is enough?", John Rockefeller responded, "...just a little bit more."
Topic Author
iraconfused

Post by iraconfused »

ruralavalon wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:00 pm

iraconfused wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:18 pm Hello Bogleheads. I hope all are safe and well.

Thank you
Simply use the ticker symbol for the fund or ETF you are considering in Morningsta
r's free "Instant X-Ray" tool

ruralavalon that instant x ray tool rocks. Thank you for the heads up on that sir
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

Simply use the ticker symbol for the fund or ETF you are considering in Morningstar's free "Instant X-Ray" tool
All S&P 500 companies are large, as defined by S&P's measurement stick.

If you use Morningstar's "Instant X-Ray" tool you are using a different measurement stick, and thus a different result.

Why do you think that Morningstar's ruler is better than S&P's?
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

did you also think they're all U.S.?

hint: they're not.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Robert20

Post by Robert20 »

[/quote]

Instant X-Ray

Vow.. this is very nice.. thanks..