Purchasing MYGAs (multi year guaranteed annuities) - mega thread

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
indexfundfan

Re: Purchasing MYGAs (multi year guaranteed annuities) - mega thread

Post by indexfundfan »

fsrph wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:34 pm As mentioned above, I applied for Sagicor 5 year MYGA thru Blueprint. Blueprint notified me my application was complete and was sent to Sagicor before the end of June (for the 3% rate). Said the policy should be issued shortly. I haven't heard a thing from Blueprint or Sagicor since then. This is my first MYGA, some questions. Is this wait normal? Who will contact me next, Sagicor? I didn't plan to fund the policy till the end of July, so I can wait. Am I supposed to send the money before I see the policy? That doesn't seem right. Thanks.

Francis
For all the policies I have bought, the insurer will only issue the policy after the money was paid. How did you tell Blueprint you will fund the policy?

You may be able to ask them to send you a sample copy of the policy. I haven't this requested before.
My signature has been deleted.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

fsrph wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:34 pm As mentioned above, I applied for Sagicor 5 year MYGA thru Blueprint. Blueprint notified me my application was complete and was sent to Sagicor before the end of June (for the 3% rate). Said the policy should be issued shortly. I haven't heard a thing from Blueprint or Sagicor since then. This is my first MYGA, some questions. Is this wait normal? Who will contact me next, Sagicor? I didn't plan to fund the policy till the end of July, so I can wait. Am I supposed to send the money before I see the policy? That doesn't seem right. Thanks.

Francis
If I were you, I’d give Blueprint a call or send them a message. They’re the agent and your primary point of contact at this stage of the process.

On the one hand, I wouldn’t expect that a policy would be issued until your money is received and processed. Sagicor wouldn’t know what date to put on the policy until your money is received.

On the other hand, I’ve never applied for a policy with “deferred funding”, as I have always submitted authorizations to fund at time of application. So I have no relevant experience on your question.

Let us know what you find out. I’m interested.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

indexfundfan wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:51 pm

Francis
For all the policies I have bought, the insurer will only issue the policy after the money was paid. How did you tell Blueprint you will fund the policy?

You may be able to ask them to send you a sample copy of the policy. I haven't this requested before.
I told Blueprint I'd fund the policy with a CD that matures in late July. They said that's fine as I have 60 days to fund. I'm new to buying MYGA's, please bear with my questions. So, I'm supposed to send Sagicor a check for 100k with no written documentation that I'm receiving the 3% rate? Maybe that's how it does work. Blueprint did send me a shipping label for the check.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Fsrph said: “ I told Blueprint I'd fund the policy with a CD that matures in late July. They said that's fine as I have 60 days to fund. I'm new to buying MYGA's, please bear with my questions. So, I'm supposed to send Sagicor a check for 100k with no written documentation that I'm receiving the 3% rate? Maybe that's how it does work. Blueprint did send me a shipping label for the check.”

You will print the page one of your MYGA application which you should have a copy. Enclose the check with that page.
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

fsrph wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:37 pm I told Blueprint I'd fund the policy with a CD that matures in late July. They said that's fine as I have 60 days to fund. I'm new to buying MYGA's, please bear with my questions. So, I'm supposed to send Sagicor a check for 100k with no written documentation that I'm receiving the 3% rate? Maybe that's how it does work. Blueprint did send me a shipping label for the check.

Francis
For me, I wrote my name and the MYGA details (5yr 3% etc) on the check. For some policies, Blueprint can provide a reference number.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

HueyLD wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:42 pm Fsrph said: “ I told Blueprint I'd fund the policy with a CD that matures in late July. They said that's fine as I have 60 days to fund. I'm new to buying MYGA's, please bear with my questions. So, I'm supposed to send Sagicor a check for 100k with no written documentation that I'm receiving the 3% rate? Maybe that's how it does work. Blueprint did send me a shipping label for the check.”

You will print the page one of your MYGA application which you should have a copy. Enclose the check with that page.
And, in the unlikely event that the policy is not issued as you expected, you have a “free look” period of 30 days after you receive the policy to get a full refund.

But I really doubt that there will be any problem.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Stinky wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:53 pm

Francis
If I were you, I’d give Blueprint a call or send them a message. They’re the agent and your primary point of contact at this stage of the process.

On the one hand, I wouldn’t expect that a policy would be issued until your money is received and processed. Sagicor wouldn’t know what date to put on the policy until your money is received.

On the other hand, I’ve never applied for a policy with “deferred funding”, as I have always submitted authorizations to fund at time of application. So I have no relevant experience on your question.

I emailed Blueprint with my issues and here's their reply. Policy won't be issued until funds are received. I have 60 days to fund. As far as written documentation of my Blueprint application it is not available online but rep will email me a PDF copy. So I'll wait till my CD matures in late July, print a copy of my application, and mail the check to Sagicor.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

fsrph wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:20 am
Stinky wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:53 pm

Francis

I emailed Blueprint with my issues and here's their reply. Policy won't be issued until funds are received. I have 60 days to fund. As far as written documentation of my Blueprint application it is not available online but rep will email me a PDF copy. So I'll wait till my CD matures in late July, print a copy of my application, and mail the check to Sagicor.

Francis
That’s what I’d thought they’d say.

Thanks for sharing.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I’ll be making a presentation on MYGAs at the next Birmingham Boglehead meeting on Zoom. Sunday, August 8, 4pm Central time.

All are welcome to join the meeting. To get login information, send an email to birminghambogleheads@gmail.com, or private message me.

I’ll bump this message a time or two before the meeting date.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Thank you Mr. Stinky. Look forward to your presentation.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

FINAL BUMP

I’ll be making a presentation on MYGAs at the next Birmingham Boglehead meeting on Zoom. Sunday, August 8, 4pm Central time.

All are welcome to join the meeting. To get login information, send an email to birminghambogleheads@gmail.com, or private message me.
DDubya

Post by DDubya »

I thought I might add to this thread by sharing my experience with Blueprint. I bought 2 MYGA in my tIRA. I applied on July 12, and the 2 policies were funded August 2, exactly 3 weeks.
Blueprint service was fine. They sent email several times along the way and the rep was knowledgeable and helpful.
Actually, the funding could have been quicker but for an oversight by Vanguard. My instructions were to transfer the money on or after July 20. Vanguard tried before that date and found there was not enough money in my settlement fund (I was using funds from CDs maturing on July 20). This led Vanguard to put a hold on processing until I called them to restart.
I am pleased with my Blueprint experience and am confident I will purchase additional MYGA using them.
Thanks to Stinky and the others who have contributed to this thread.
"Show me the incentives, I will tell you the outcomes." | "No matter how cynical I get, it is impossible to keep up."
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

DDubya wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:12 pm I thought I might add to this thread by sharing my experience with Blueprint. I bought 2 MYGA in my tIRA. I applied on July 12, and the 2 policies were funded August 2, exactly 3 weeks.
Blueprint service was fine. They sent email several times along the way and the rep was knowledgeable and helpful.
Actually, the funding could have been quicker but for an oversight by Vanguard. My instructions were to transfer the money on or after July 20. Vanguard tried before that date and found there was not enough money in my settlement fund (I was using funds from CDs maturing on July 20). This led Vanguard to put a hold on processing until I called them to restart.
I am pleased with my Blueprint experience and am confident I will purchase additional MYGA using them.
Thanks to Stinky and the others who have contributed to this thread.
I’m glad that you had a good experience in purchasing MYGAs through Blueprint Income.

The Blueprint agency was acquired by Mass Mutual earlier this year. To date, I haven’t seen any changes in Blueprint’s offerings or quality of service. I hope that MM allows Blueprint to continue to operate semi-autonomously.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Stinky wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:18 am FINAL BUMP

Thanks for the update! For anyone that cannot join the meeting, any idea if your presentation will be available on the Bogleheads YouTube channel that LadyGeek just posted about?
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

HomeStretch wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:39 am
Stinky wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:18 am FINAL BUMP

Thanks for the update! For anyone that cannot join the meeting, any idea if your presentation will be available on the Bogleheads YouTube channel that LadyGeek just posted about?
Sorry, but this presentation wasn't recorded.

However, I've offered to make the presentation to other Boglehead groups. Maybe one of them will pick up on my offer and record the presentation for YouTube.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Stinky wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:21 am Sagicor has what appears to be a "limited time" special rate on its 3-year and 5-year MYGAs. The 3-year is paying 2.30% and the 5-year is paying 3.00%.

That 3.00% rate on the 5-year product is the highest rate available for a duration of less than 10 years for a company rated A- or higher by AM Best.

Based on communications I've received, it appears that this "special" rate expires on 6/30/21. And I've heard from a couple of annuity agents that those Sagicor products are "hot sellers" right now.
Sagicor ran their rate special at 3.00% on the five-year for the month of June. They then reduced the rate to 2.75% about July 1.

It looks like they’re cutting the rate again. The Blueprint website says that they’re going to 2.45% effective 8/18.

Congratulations to those of you who pounced on the 3.00% rate in June.
tj

Post by tj »

Do any of these companies allow one to buy the MYGA with a credit card? That could juice the yield to some extent.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

I received the contract for my Sagicor 5 yr/3% MYGA yesterday. I spotted something I didn't like on the first page.

Effective date - 8/2/2021
Maturity date - 8/2/2060
Initial rate guarantee period - 5 years
Initial surrender charge period - 5 years
Subsequent surrender charge periods - The initial surrender charge period will be followed by one subsequent 5 year charge period. Surrender charges will not apply beginning of contract year 11.

Is this maturity date of 2060 correct? Why isn't it 5 years? Also, the documents show a table of surrender charges that do not drop to 0% until year 11. Year 5 shows a 5% surrender charge. Can anyone please let me know if this is correct. All I wanted was a 5 year MYGA and do what I want with the money, penalty free, after 5 years.

I plan on calling the the company but closed on weekend. Should I call Sagicor or Blueprint?

Francis
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

It can continue to roll over so to speak, for up to that many years. I had exactly the same concern within an annuity I bought through Stan the annuity man. Yes you have a 5-year myga, but as it matures it can keep being reinvested for up to a much longer period of time, in your case up til 2060. It does mean though, as you approach that five-year deadline, you need to let them know you don't want to reinvest.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

fsrph wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:45 am I received the contract for my Sagicor 5 yr/3% MYGA yesterday. I spotted something I didn't like on the first page.

Maturity date - 8/2/2060
Subsequent surrender charge periods - The initial surrender charge period will be followed by one subsequent 5 year charge period. Surrender charges will not apply beginning of contract year 11.

Is this maturity date of 2060 correct? Why isn't it 5 years? Also, the documents show a table of surrender charges that do not drop to 0% until year 11. Year 5 shows a 5% surrender charge. Can anyone please let me know if this is correct. All I wanted was a 5 year MYGA and do what I want with the money, penalty free, after 5 years.

I plan on calling the the company but closed on weekend. Should I call Sagicor or Blueprint?

Francis
I also have the Sagicor 3.00% 5 year contract. (My wording may vary slightly from yours, due to state variations.)

I agree that showing a maturity date of 2060 is confusing. That's when the annuity itself would mature - probably the anniversary date after your 100th birthday.

The important language is in the section "Penalty Free Window(s) Period", on the Contract Data Page. My paragraph says:

You will have 30 days from the beginning of contract year 6, and 30 days at the beginning of each Subsequent Surrender Period that follows, to withdraw some of or all of the Accumulation Value, during which no Surrender Charge will be deducted prior to You Receiving your proceeds. You will be given 45 days’ notice before {the/each} Penalty Free Window Period begins.

This is the language that makes my funds available to me, without penalty, at the end of 5 years. If I do nothing during that 30 day period, the annuity will continue in force.

Feel free to call either Blueprint or Sagicor next week, if that will give you further confidence. I expect that you'll get substantially the same answer from them.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

fsrph wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:45 am I received the contract for my Sagicor 5 yr/3% MYGA yesterday. I spotted something I didn't like on the first page.

Maturity date - 8/2/2060

Francis
(1) The maturity date is the absolute last day that you must annuitize your MYGA. It is typically set to your 100th birthday and I don’t think you need to worry about that eventuality.

(2) You can certainly have penalty free withdrawal at the end of the initial guarantee period of 8/2/2026. However, if you renew the MYGA then, a new five year period of surrender charges will kick in.

See explanation here https://www.sagicor.com/-/media/USA-Ass ... 2033514271
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Stinky, I see the exact language on my contract data page as you posted. I feel better seeing that. This is my first MYGA and I was trying to make sure everything is correct.

Francis
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

I purchased another MYGA from Gainbridge when my PSECU CD matured. Everything was done online.

9/8 Application submitted. Bank account verified.
9/9 Application pending.
9/10 Money deducted from bank account. Policy active.

5yr MYGA 3.00% APY
AM Best B++
Surrender charges, in years 1,2,3,4,5 are 3%,3%,3%,2%,1% plus market value adjustment.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

indexfundfan wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:19 am I purchased another MYGA from Gainbridge when my PSECU CD matured. Everything was done online.

9/8 Application submitted. Bank account verified.
9/9 Application pending.
9/10 Money deducted from bank account. Policy active.

5yr MYGA 3.00% APY
AM Best B++
Surrender charges, in years 1,2,3,4,5 are 3%,3%,3%,2%,1% plus market value adjustment.
I personally think that the Gainbridge product, underwritten by Guggenheim Life, is an excellent value.

Very competitive interest rate, low surrender charges, and lighting fast turnaround.

I’ve purchased from Gainbridge.
Zosima

Post by Zosima »

FYI, AM Best has recently placed Guggenheim Life and Annuity Company under review. I am not sure it will result in any change its B++ rating but it is something worth following.

https://news.ambest.com/presscontent.as ... fnum=31092

"AM Best has placed under review with developing implications the Financial Strength Rating of B++ (Good) and the Long-Term Issuer Credit Rating of “bbb+” (Good) of Guggenheim Life and Annuity Company (GLAC) (Wilmington, DE).

The Credit Rating (rating) actions reflect GLAC’s decline in surplus and weakening in its risk-adjusted capital position during the first half of 2021, driven in large part by the payment of stockholder dividends to its ultimate parent, Sammons Enterprises, Inc. GLAC’s management is working on a capital plan to increase its capital and surplus and strengthen its risk-adjusted capital position."
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

gjlynch17 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:50 am FYI, AM Best has recently placed Guggenheim Life and Annuity Company under review. I am not sure it will result in any change its B++ rating but it is something worth following.

"AM Best has placed under review with developing implications the Financial Strength Rating of B++ (Good) and the Long-Term Issuer Credit Rating of “bbb+” (Good) of Guggenheim Life and Annuity Company (GLAC) (Wilmington, DE).

The Credit Rating (rating) actions reflect GLAC’s decline in surplus and weakening in its risk-adjusted capital position during the first half of 2021, driven in large part by the payment of stockholder dividends to its ultimate parent, Sammons Enterprises, Inc. GLAC’s management is working on a capital plan to increase its capital and surplus and strengthen its risk-adjusted capital position."
Thanks. Good to know.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

gjlynch17 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:50 am FYI, AM Best has recently placed Guggenheim Life and Annuity Company under review. I am not sure it will result in any change its B++ rating but it is something worth following.

Thank you very much for posting this.

Given that GLAC’s capital position has declined, Best could have taken much more severe action. They could have downgraded the company. They could have placed the rating “under review with negative implications”.

Instead, they put the rating under review with “developing” implications. That language suggests to me that Best currently has an expectation that the capital situation will be resolved in a positive way, which would allow Best to affirm the rating.

There’s no guarantee that the rating will be affirmed. The company could be downgraded. But, based on the language here, I don’t expect it.

“Under review” situations take a while to get resolved. I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t hear again from Best for 3-6 months.

Please keep us posted as you hear of Best actions on companies in the MYGA space. I appreciate the news updates.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I am somewhat bothered by the cause of declining capital. If making dividend payment to its parent company could weaken its risk adjusted capital position to such a level that triggered the credit review, something else might be going on.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the insurance company gets its capital back to an acceptable level on a risk adjusted basis. I want to see what they actually do, not just what they say they will do.
Zosima

Post by Zosima »

Stinky wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:39 am
Given that GLAC’s capital position has declined, Best could have taken much more severe action. They could have downgraded the company. They could have placed the rating “under review with negative implications”.

Instead, they put the rating under review with “developing” implications. That language suggests to me that Best currently has an expectation that the capital situation will be resolved in a positive way, which would allow Best to affirm the rating.

There’s no guarantee that the rating will be affirmed. The company could be downgraded. But, based on the language here, I don’t expect it.

“Under review” situations take a while to get resolved. I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t hear again from Best for 3-6 months.
Stinky, thanks for your analysis. It is nice to have your perspective from working in the insurance industry.

Reading between the lines of the press release, GLAC appears to have a planned transaction for an infusion of capital and its B++ rating is contingent upon closing of that transaction. I am looking at purchasing several MYGAs in the next 4-6 months and like Guggenheim's rates so I will be following developments with interests.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

There was a discussion in another thread about guaranty fund limits. The discussion starts with the following post and continues for several posts after it.

viewtopic.php?p=6235097#p6235097

I suggest that anyone who is considering purchasing a MYGA (or other annuity or cash value life insurance product) carefully review the coverage limits and other provisions of their state life and health insurance guaranty fund.

This review is especially important for folks who plan to purchase MYGAs that are, in aggregate, in excess of the coverage limits of their guaranty fund. The laws of many states are less than crystal clear about whether the coverage limits apply to a person’s exposure to a particular insurer, or a person’s exposure to all insurers.

One way for a person to get greater confidence in guaranty fund coverage is to directly ask their state guaranty fund. I have contacted my state guaranty fund, and I encourage others to contact theirs. Contact information is on the guaranty fund's website.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Sagicor Life has just announced a rate increase on their 5-year MYGA, from 2.75% to 3.00%. The increase is effective 11/30/21.

Sagicor is rated A- by AM Best.

To my knowledge, this is the highest rate for a 5 year contract by an insurance company in the "A" range.
Wrench

Post by Wrench »

Stinky wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:22 pm Sagicor Life has just announced a rate increase on their 5-year MYGA, from 2.75% to 3.00%. The increase is effective 11/30/21.

Sagicor is rated A- by AM Best.

To my knowledge, this is the highest rate for a 5 year contract by an insurance company in the "A" range.
I note this rate from Sagicor is only available for investments of $100K or more. For investment amounts down to $10K,the A rated Americo offers 2.80% return.

Wrench
bulbs

Post by bulbs »

Stan the Annuity Man advertised on his website a 3% interest 5-year Great American (A+) MYGA effective 12/6. Then it was removed today. Does anyone have any knowledge of what is going on with Great American? :sharebeer
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

bulbs wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:56 am Stan the Annuity Man advertised on his website a 3% interest 5-year Great American (A+) MYGA effective 12/6. Then it was removed today. Does anyone have any knowledge of what is going on with Great American? :sharebeer
That’s very weird.

Stan’s website now shows the rate from that company for 5 years at 2.35%, where it’s been since early November.

Maybe a data entry error by Stan’s office? Probably the only way you’ll ever know is to contact Stan’s office directly.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Stinky wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:09 pm
bulbs wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:56 am Stan the Annuity Man advertised on his website a 3% interest 5-year Great American (A+) MYGA effective 12/6. Then it was removed today. Does anyone have any knowledge of what is going on with Great American? :sharebeer
That’s very weird.

Stan’s website now shows the rate from that company for 5 years at 2.35%, where it’s been since early November.

Maybe a data entry error by Stan’s office? Probably the only way you’ll ever know is to contact Stan’s office directly.
Great American was sold to Mass Mutual about six months ago. And Mass Mutual is not known for paying good rates.
bulbs

Post by bulbs »

It was a different annuity than the one advertised at 2.35%. From Stan's website earlier today:
"Great American Life Insurance Company A+ Advantage 5 Advisory 89 $250,000 $2,000,000 10% 10% 3.00 3.00 3.00 12/06/21"
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

Published by Blueprint Income, Dec 2021.

Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

indexfundfan wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:16 am Published by Blueprint Income, Dec 2021.

Thank you for posting this.

I continue to believe that MYGAs are a viable alternative to bank CDs and bond funds for the right fixed income investors. They have a yield that is much higher than many alternatives, and will pay out fully (without market value adjustment) at the end of their term, even if interest rates increase.

Folks who buy MYGAs need to be highly confident that they will be able to hold them to maturity. And they need to become familiar with the protection provided by their state guaranty fund. Both of these topics are discussed upthread.

While the Blueprint website covers a large number of MYGA sellers, there are a couple of direct sellers (Canvas and Gainbridge) who offer even more attractive rates. Both those companies are rated B++.
Zosima

Post by Zosima »

Stinky wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:07 pm
indexfundfan wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:16 am Published by Blueprint Income, Dec 2021.

Thank you for posting this.

I continue to believe that MYGAs are a viable alternative to bank CDs and bond funds for the right fixed income investors. They have a yield that is much higher than many alternatives, and will pay out fully (without market value adjustment) at the end of their term, even if interest rates increase.

Folks who buy MYGAs need to be highly confident that they will be able to hold them to maturity. And they need to become familiar with the protection provided by their state guaranty fund. Both of these topics are discussed upthread.

While the Blueprint website covers a large number of MYGA sellers, there are a couple of direct sellers (Canvas and Gainbridge) who offer even more attractive rates. Both those companies are rated B++.
Thank you Indexfundfun and Stinky for the information. Blueprint is my default option for checking MYGA rates and I also check Canvas and Gainbridge when I am in the market. Stan the Annuity Man is another great resource as his site sometimes has options that are not on the Blueprint platform. For example, he currently offers MYGAs from Pacific Guardian Life, an "A" rated insurance company by A.M. Best that offers higher rates than the highest rates for "A" rated companies at Blueprint. Current rates for 5, 6 and 7 year MYGAs from Pacific Guardian Life are 2.85%, 2.95% and 3.0% respectively.
Zosima

Post by Zosima »

Stinky wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:39 am

Thank you very much for posting this.

Please keep us posted as you hear of Best actions on companies in the MYGA space. I appreciate the news updates.
As of December 16, 2021, A.M. Best not only removed the "under review" designation for Guggenheim, but it increased their rating from B++ to A-.

"AM Best has removed from under review with developing implications and upgraded the Financial Strength Rating to A- (Excellent) from B++ (Good) and the Long-Term Issuer Credit Rating to “a-” (Excellent) from “bbb+” (Good) of Guggenheim Life and Annuity Company (GLAC) (Wilmington, DE). The outlook assigned to these Credit Ratings (ratings) is stable.

The ratings reflect GLAC’s balance sheet strength, which AM Best assesses as strong, as well as its strong operating performance, neutral business profile and appropriate enterprise risk management.

The removal of the ratings from under review and subsequent upgrades are due to GLAC being acquired by Group 1001 Insurance Holdings LLC, the parent company of the lead rating unit, Group 1001 Life & Annuity Group (formerly known as Delaware Life Insurance Group), for which GLAC will now become a group member in accordance with AM Best methodology. The acquisition closed Nov. 12, 2021."

https://news.ambest.com/presscontent.as ... 1639686315

Group 1001 is also the parent company of Gainbridge (who is the consumer facing part of the Guggenheim MYGAs) and Delaware Life (who also sells annuities). This is great news as Gainbridge/Guggenheim offers exceptionally attractive MYGA rates for a A- rated company.
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

gjlynch17 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:32 pm As of December 16, 2021, A.M. Best not only removed the "under review" designation for Guggenheim, but it increased their rating from B++ to A-.

"AM Best has removed from under review with developing implications and upgraded the Financial Strength Rating to A- (Excellent) from B++ (Good) and the Long-Term Issuer Credit Rating to “a-” (Excellent) from “bbb+” (Good) of Guggenheim Life and Annuity Company (GLAC) (Wilmington, DE). The outlook assigned to these Credit Ratings (ratings) is stable.

The ratings reflect GLAC’s balance sheet strength, which AM Best assesses as strong, as well as its strong operating performance, neutral business profile and appropriate enterprise risk management.

The removal of the ratings from under review and subsequent upgrades are due to GLAC being acquired by Group 1001 Insurance Holdings LLC, the parent company of the lead rating unit, Group 1001 Life & Annuity Group (formerly known as Delaware Life Insurance Group), for which GLAC will now become a group member in accordance with AM Best methodology. The acquisition closed Nov. 12, 2021."

Group 1001 is also the parent company of Gainbridge (who is the consumer facing part of the Guggenheim MYGAs) and Delaware Life (who also sells annuities). This is great news as Gainbridge/Guggenheim offers exceptionally attractive MYGA rates for a A- rated company.
Thanks for the update. I happened to check yesterday and it was still showing "under review". It looks like this is just published today and it is good news to me. :-)
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

gjlynch17 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:32 pm As of December 16, 2021, A.M. Best not only removed the "under review" designation for Guggenheim, but it increased their rating from B++ to A-.

That's wonderful news! As a policyholder of Guggenheim Life, I'm delighted. Thanks for posting.

I went to the Gainbridge website to see if they had updated it for the Guggenheim Life upgrade, and they hadn't updated the AM Best rating language yet. However, I clicked through on something else and saw that the arena that the Indiana Pacers play in is now the Gainbridge Fieldhouse. That may be old news to some (it was announced in September 2021, but I hadn't seen it.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Today is the one year anniversary of this thread.

During the last year, the MYGA market has remained strong.
---- As of this writing, the highest interest rate offered on Blueprintincome.com is 3.25%.
---- Several insurance companies have received ratings upgrades or positive outlook changes (Guggenheim, Nassau, Oceanview, etc.)
---- Pacific Guardian Life, rated "A" by AM Best, is a relatively new entrant to the broad MYGA market with attractive rates (available through some annuity sellers, but not yet through Blueprint Income).

At the present time, I continue to believe that MYGAs can be useful as a fixed income alternative for the right investor. A person can earn a return that is higher than that available on bonds and CDs, presuming that the person is highly confident that they can leave the money invested for the full guarantee period. Additionally, if/when interest rates rise, MYGAs will continue to pay out at full accumulated value without market value adjustment, a result that can be more attractive than bond funds.

In my opinion, the most comprehensive website for exploring MYGAs is blueprintincome.com. That site has in-depth product descriptions, which makes it easy to comparison-shop for products. I've personally found the Blueprint Income team to be easy to deal with. Others have reported positive experiences with other sellers of MYGAs.

Based on the comments and questions on this thread and based on numerous private messages that I've received, it seems that a number of Bogleheads have explored purchasing MYGAs within the last year. I believe that more than a few have purchased the product.

I'll continue to watch the MYGA market, and will post as time goes on.
Mytoocents

Post by Mytoocents »

Thank you Stinky for elevating this discussion over the past year - I’ve learned a lot. As a result, I’ve looked into, and subsequently purchased, three different MYGA products which expiring CDs were rolled into. Great experience with both Blueprint and Stan The Annuity Man.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Thanks Stinky! Great thread!
On BluePrint Income's site there were no A- or higher offers for my state.
There were three B++ offers at 3% and 3.15%...with no withdrawals. (Tempting :) )
I'm not an expert, but B++ gives me pause.
Larry Swedroe said that he bought an MYGA but his was higher rated...and it was over a year ago.
What's my point? None really; I'm just keeping my eye on the market. I consider an MYGA to be an opportunity down the road when a CD matures.
Last edited by hudson on Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Thank you for sharing the good news. I was getting uncomfortable with the ”under review” status and it is now an A- company. What a deal!

FWIW, Gainbridge provides very good customer service and is willing to go the extra mile to make things work for me, a customer. I lost access to my cell phone for reasons too dumb to disclose publicly. And a phone call to their customer service resulted in a quick resolution and a workable solution was done quickly to allow me to receive the 2FA code again for account access. I am a firm believer in good customer service.
Zosima

Post by Zosima »

Stinky, thank you so much for starting this thread and for sharing your industry insights on MYGAs and insurance companies in general. And thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. As someone who is embarking on an early retirement in 12 months I find MYGAs to be a great option for building the early rungs of my fixed income ladder until I start collecting social security. In fact, I am eagerly awaiting tomorrow so I can purchase the next rung with a 7-year MYGA from Gainbridge and have the taxable income in 2029 :-)
OkanePlease

Post by OkanePlease »

Stinky wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:08 am Additionally, if/when interest rates rise, MYGAs will continue to pay out at full accumulated value without market value adjustment, a result that can be more attractive than bond funds.
Stinky, I've appreciated this thread and your help elsewhere on the forum! But can you kindly explain more about the quoted statement? I'm not sure of the meaning. Thanks!
goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou »

OkanePlease wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:25 am
Stinky wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:08 am Additionally, if/when interest rates rise, MYGAs will continue to pay out at full accumulated value without market value adjustment, a result that can be more attractive than bond funds.
Stinky, I've appreciated this thread and your help elsewhere on the forum! But can you kindly explain more about the quoted statement? I'm not sure of the meaning. Thanks!
It means that bond prices fluctuate with interest rates. As interest rates go up, the bond value (NAV for bond funds) go down. This is "market value adjustment". MYGAs are fixed. Just like a CD. Once the interest rate is set at time of purchase of the MYGA (just like a CD), there is a contractual obligation to pay that rate and the full accumulated value at the end of the contract. You do not get this contractual guarantee with bonds. If you sell a bond before maturity in a rising interest rate environment, you will lose principal. Likewise, if you break a MYGA before maturity, you will pay a penalty.
Last edited by goodenyou on Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | “At 50, everyone has the face he deserves”
hudson

Post by hudson »

The order of safety?
Treasuries and CDs
MYGAs and SPIAs
High Quality Bonds, Funds, ETFs