Willing to share your Taxable Portfolio?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
manatee2005

Re: Willing to share your Taxable Portfolio?

Post by manatee2005 »

stan1 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:53 am
manatee2005 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:48 am
GoldenGoose wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:31 pm
manatee2005 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:04 am AMZN
DIS
GOOG
MSFT
NET
NVDA
ROKU
SHOP
TSLA
V
ZM
Wow. Must have made a killing. Wow.
It’s been pretty good. Who would have expected MSFT and Google which already had high valuation to go up 60% since then.
Do you have an exit/rebalancing plan, or are you viewing this as a forever buy and hold portfolio for the rest of your life until your heirs get stepped up cost basis?
Yes, when something in the company changes I sell. I sold
Zoom because the schools are in person now and people don’t want to use it anymore cos it reminds them of bad times. It was a nice run while it lasted. I also buy new stocks, I bought Airbnb cos I think the rebound in travel will be amazing.

As far as the heirs, I’m only in my 40s and I’m not really thinking about that yet.
Last edited by manatee2005 on Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moondawg

Post by Moondawg »

VOO: 66%
Company Stock: 19% (I know, I know... I'm intending to unwind some of this soon)
SQ: 11%
DIS: 1%
UBER: 1%
Another asset class...: 1%
Cash: 1%

Happy I came across this thread. It was a good gut check when evaluating my IPS and what I've been doing with the taxable portfolio over the last year.
sixtoeight

Post by sixtoeight »

Dumb question - but when people say they tax loss harvest using certain funds, does that mean they sell portions of that fund by year end to offset capital gains?
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

sixtoeight wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:47 am Dumb question - but when people say they tax loss harvest using certain funds, does that mean they sell portions of that fund by year end to offset capital gains?
Tax loss harvesting is selling those shares with a loss, while buying other stock to stay invested in the market. This may offset capital gains, but it can be even more useful if it offsets ordinary income which is taxed at a higher rate.
Wiki David Grabiner
sixtoeight

Post by sixtoeight »

grabiner wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:00 am
sixtoeight wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:47 am Dumb question - but when people say they tax loss harvest using certain funds, does that mean they sell portions of that fund by year end to offset capital gains?
Tax loss harvesting is selling those shares with a loss, while buying other stock to stay invested in the market. This may offset capital gains, but it can be even more useful if it offsets ordinary income which is taxed at a higher rate.
Got it. Are there certain advantages to tax loss harvest using certain funds vs others. Or is that just a personal choice?
Flynow7

Post by Flynow7 »

Would one need VTI and VOO in their taxable ? Or is just one fund acceptable?
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Flynow7 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:11 pm Would one need VTI and VOO in their taxable ? Or is just one fund acceptable?
VTI is more stocks, hence more diverse, VOO is mainly Large Caps and less diverse, ie more concentrated, using portfolio visualizer the difference is small over time, so it depends on what your goals are.

My 59% of VOO portfolio at my current age 61 is tilted towards growth Morningstar instant x-ray tool as 48, probably because as you know 30% is in VGT.

To answer your question, yes either is acceptable.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

iudiehard1 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:13 pm Gobble Bogle,

This question has been asked, but during my search I haven’t seen very many people share their holdings and % for taxable accounts.

I am currently maxing out all the tax deferred and will be chunking a couple grand a month into a taxable account for years to come (God willing). I’m going to share my current allocation, but would rather hear what those with taxable accounts are doing?

50% - VOO
50% - WVIUX

I know you need to know more about me, etc...but if you are open to sharing with some color....it would be much appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving
Taxable is:

90% VTWAX
10% VNJTX
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
TomatoTomahto

Willing to disclose your Taxable Portfolio?

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I apologize; nothing useful to say, but every time I pass by this thread, with its title “Willing to share your taxable portfolio?,” my juvenile response is “Only with family or charity.” I hope to stifle this urge by posting, but it would be easiest if the title were changed as I have, since that’s surely what is meant.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
ZWorkLess

Post by ZWorkLess »

Ours is all in Vanguard Total Stock Market and I-bonds (new addition). That's it for now. When the taxable account gets big enough to matter to my domestic/international balance, I'll add the Vanguard Total International Stocks Index to the mix. (I hold some international in our Target Date funds that are in retirement/deferred tax accounts -- and that amount of international exposure is enough for me for the time being.) As far as I can tell, I only want those three things and cash in my taxable accounts until I learn something different.

I've just started with the I bonds; before that our taxable was all TSM. It'll be around half and half for a couple years, but I won't buy more bonds (for the time being anyway, in our 50s) in taxable other than the 20k/yr of I-bonds, so ultimately I expect bonds to be a much smaller part of taxable -- with all other bonds being in the deferred tax accounts.

I'm new to having significant amounts in taxable accounts, so this thread is very timely and helpful for gaining ideas for the future. Thanks for starting the thread!
Waiting_for_Godot

Post by Waiting_for_Godot »

Currently languishing at Ally getting 0.5%, and encompasses ~60% of the total portfolio. I'm STILL trying to figure out how much of that I want to sequester away for retirement, while being mindful of guaranteed losses due to inflation.
dharrythomas

Post by dharrythomas »

Approximately

82% Total World Stock Index
15% Tax Managed Balanced
3% SSBK (de novo bank purchase)
2 shares of Alabama Power 4.6% preferred stock (inherited)
smectym

Post by smectym »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:20 pm I'm not sharing mine because I fear the wrath of the bogleheads when they see how little I have in international stock funds.
I am similarly reticent, as I have that issue, and worse, I have a balanced fund in taxable. Oof
GoldenGoose

Post by GoldenGoose »

Do I sense a wind of change here at boglehead? The last time I posted about owning individual stocks here I got crucified. After that I had not visited this site for a while. Seeing this thread is a bit bittersweet.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

smectym wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:29 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:20 pm I'm not sharing mine because I fear the wrath of the bogleheads when they see how little I have in international stock funds.
I am similarly reticent, as I have that issue, and worse, I have a balanced fund in taxable. Oof
I have a worse situation. I have bond funds in taxable. Oof.
Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 »

90% FDLXX (Fidelity treasury only money market fund) and 10% FXAIX (Fidelity 500 index fund)
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett
Apathizer

Post by Apathizer »

Signature.
ROTH: 50% AVGE, 10% DFAX, 40% BNDW. Taxable: 50% BNDW, 40% AVGE, 10% DFAX.
kleiner

Post by kleiner »

GoldenGoose wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:38 pm Do I sense a wind of change here at boglehead? The last time I posted about owning individual stocks here I got crucified. After that I had not visited this site for a while. Seeing this thread is a bit bittersweet.
Let me give you some company then :-)

FXAIX (S&P 500 index) 42%
DIA (Dow Jones ETF) 21%
FSKAX (total market index) 27%
Apple 5%
Microsoft 1%
Other individual stocks 2.5%

I should explain that I bought Apple and Microsoft in the late 1990s and have held on to them for almost 25 years. I bought the other individual stocks between 2001 and 2018 using the (much missed) ShareBuilder service.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

smectym wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:29 pm
It's okay I'll join ya'll. Here's a copy pasta from my pivot.

AAL 0.13%
bank accounts 15.21%
FSKAX 1.41%
FZDXX 7.52%
FZFXX** 0.77%
GE 0.07%
INO 0.08%
ITOT 0.74%
PLD 4.09%
STAG 4.46%
VTSAX 9.88%
VWIUX 1.95%
WFC 5.14%
drjd

Post by drjd »

kleiner wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:46 am
GoldenGoose wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:38 pm Do I sense a wind of change here at boglehead? The last time I posted about owning individual stocks here I got crucified. After that I had not visited this site for a while. Seeing this thread is a bit bittersweet.

DIA (Dow Jones ETF) 21%
Apple 5%
Microsoft 1%

I should explain that I bought Apple and Microsoft in the late 1990s and have held on to them for almost 25 years. I bought the other individual stocks between 2001 and 2018 using the (much missed) ShareBuilder service.
I've been wanting to do FSKAX since I prefer fidelity and prefer mutual funds, the "company line" around here is not to do mutual funds in a taxable account. Have you had any issues with taxes thus far? What are your thoughts on that?
BruinBones

Post by BruinBones »

Flynow7 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:11 pm Would one need VTI and VOO in their taxable ? Or is just one fund acceptable?
They are great tax lost harvesting partner’s.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Taxable
VTSAX (96%)
VG Fed MM (VMRXX) (4%)

Taxable is 37% of total portfolio. Overall portfolio is 58 equity and 42 bonds/fixed due to the Friday drop.
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller
ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry »

Out taxable is almost 100 percent international stocks funds, with a small amount of US stock funds making up the remainder.
GoldenGoose

Post by GoldenGoose »

kleiner wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:46 am

DIA (Dow Jones ETF) 21%
Apple 5%
Microsoft 1%

Oh wow. Lucky you. Not many people hold on to a stock that long. Congrats.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

VTI
VXUS
VBTLX
VWIUX

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
ThriftyGeorge

Post by ThriftyGeorge »

I have changed our taxable fund over the years to become an income fund/early retirement/emergency fund. It’s sole purpose is to provide dividend income should the need arise, and hopefully grow a bit to help fund our retirement goals. Below is a rough estimate as to the holdings. A few etfs and tax exempt municipal funds, and the rest Is mostly boring blue chip consumer staple companies. Things people can’t live without. Their phone, food, guilty pleasures, healthcare, insurance, utilities, etc.

VWHAX(tax exempt municipal)-12%
VWITX(tax exempt municipal)-8%
VYM(high div yield)-5%
VPU(utilities)-5%

The rest is in individual stocks(I know…a Boglehead no no) I’ve chosen many of the stocks for their dividend pay dates…to equally spread out payments. I’m currently yielding 3.98%, at an average of 3,000 a month. I’m happy with that and plan on using the dividend drips to continue to fund the portfolio. Our 401ks(Boglehead 3 fund + Real Estate) could still support our retirement. For simplicity sake, I’ll say the below stocks are mostly even percentages. I may add a broad stock market etf, but I already have a lot of that in our other funds, so it seems rather redundant.

AT & T
Verizon
Altria
Phillip Morris
Chevron
Exxon
Proctor and Gamble
Kimberly Clark
Unilever
Colgate
Clorox
MMM
IBM
Cisco
Intel
Bristol Myers Squibb
Pfizer
Abbvie
Merck
Cardinal Health
Johnson and Johnson
General Mills
Smuckers
Campbell’s Soup
Kroger
Sysco
Pepsi
McDonalds
Starbucks
Aflac
Met Life
Prudential
Allstate
US Bank
Xcel Energy
American Electric Power
Last edited by ThriftyGeorge on Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:06 am, edited 5 times in total.
“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, so we can buy stuff we don’t need”-Tyler Durden
ny_rn

Post by ny_rn »

VTSAX
NET
AAPL
PLTR
RDFN
SNOW
SQ
Databricks (coming soon)

No plans on selling as I do not need this money for many, many years.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

70% VTSAX
30% Ultra short term bond(sold my residence and holding for purchase in 2-3 years)

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
TheoBanana

Post by TheoBanana »

58% VTI & VXUS
24% Individual Municipal bonds (from an inheritance)
16% iBonds
2% Cash
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

28% MSFT
19% TSLA
13% NVDA
12% VOO
5% AAPL
5% BND
5% Cash
~1% each of AMZN, LCID, PLTR, NFLX, BRKB, XPEV, KD and few others
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

VTI 36%
VV 26%
IVV 26%
VEU 12%
Nver2Late

Post by Nver2Late »

73% VTSAX
27% HYMM, CDs, Ibonds

Edit: After posting above, I double checked my spreadsheet and I do not include the I-bonds in the "taxable" percentage, instead considering them tax deferred. They are unique - tax deferred instruments held in "taxable".
Last edited by Nver2Late on Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Better is the enemy of good." Good is good.
Flynow7

Post by Flynow7 »

Why wouldn’t you guys just do VTI / VOO instead of VTSAX in taxable portfolio? Expense ratio is less on those two etfs than VTSAX.
dachshunddad

Post by dachshunddad »

Tax loss harvesting done so ETFs are where landed.

76% SCHB
19% VXUS
5% cash

The cash probably shouldn’t be held there as it is not emergency savings. I’ll probably invest it and switch some retirement accounts to bonds to keep my allocation.
Nver2Late

Post by Nver2Late »

Flynow7 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:44 pm Why wouldn’t you guys just do VTI / VOO instead of VTSAX in taxable portfolio? Expense ratio is less on those two etfs than VTSAX.
For me, the position was started with a lump sum in 1997 so it has significant capital gains. I could consider stopping reinvesting dividends and re-direct the monthly contribution to VTI, but I haven't gone that route yet for simplicity.

Edit: I haven't done the brokerage transition yet
"Better is the enemy of good." Good is good.
jvini

Post by jvini »

Hi. All ETFS. 40% of my portfolio in taxable. I have a 60/40 portfolio at age 54. Hope to retire in 2-3 years. I now only contribute to IVV monthly and rebalance into bonds in my tax advantaged accounts at the end of the year or if I'm 6% out of whack.

IVV Ishares S&P 56%
IXUS Ishares international 17%
IJH Ishares mid cap 13%
IJR Ishares small cap 600 14%
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Flynow7 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:44 pm Why wouldn’t you guys just do VTI / VOO instead of VTSAX in taxable portfolio? Expense ratio is less on those two etfs than VTSAX.
I do just this. I am all ETF except for 401K where I just select a US TSM fund.
sandan

Post by sandan »

Borderline superstition for me.

ETFs can be traded instantaneously. A hacker can sell VTI & buy another stock before I can prevent the purchase.

With a mutual fund, I would get the email about a selling transaction in advance of a stock purchase.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

Nope, other than I’m in all index funds.
Flynow7

Post by Flynow7 »

sandan wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:30 pm

ETFs can be traded instantaneously. A hacker can sell VTI & buy another stock before I can prevent the purchase.

With a mutual fund, I would get the email about a selling transaction in advance of a stock purchase.
Really I didn’t know is that an extra security feature ? I didn’t know that.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

I thought they can reverse transactions in case of an obvious fraud. Isn't this why we settle the trades T+2 even today?
sandan

Post by sandan »

Marseille07 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:46 pm

I thought they can reverse transactions in case of an obvious fraud. Isn't this why we settle the trades T+2 even today?
I'm sure they can. That's why I started with "borderline superstition". I still like to eliminate threats before they happen.
sandan

Post by sandan »

Flynow7 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:41 pm

Really I didn’t know is that an extra security feature ? I didn’t know that.
Its not really a security feature.

Most non-margin brokerage accounts don't allow transactions till there is an available balance. The policies always vary a little bit.
loghound

Post by loghound »

I'm pretty jealous of how many people have a small number of simple index funds.

I (57) only came to the Boglehead world in the last five years or so, I've tried to move new investments into more balanced index funds but my taxable (which I started in the early '90s) is a mess of 30 years of semi-random decisions. I've been trying to rebalance it for a while now and have made OK progress but it takes a while.

One of the big advantages of a 401k/IRA is you can rebalance without tax implications which makes it really nice to do in a more sensible manner.
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time. | - Blaise Pascal
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

loghound wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:55 pm I'm pretty jealous of how many people have a small number of simple index funds.

I (57) only came to the Boglehead world in the last five years or so, I've tried to move new investments into more balanced index funds but my taxable (which I started in the early '90s) is a mess of 30 years of semi-random decisions. I've been trying to rebalance it for a while now and have made OK progress but it takes a while.

One of the big advantages of a 401k/IRA is you can rebalance without tax implications which makes it really nice to do in a more sensible manner.
Yeah, it's not always easy in taxable. The key is to continue TLH or pay bills by slashing the position you want to get rid of.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

14% VWIUX
15% VFWAX
25% VFIAX
46% VTSAX

I don’t think I’ve ever asked, so any feedback would be appreciated!
zz4

Post by zz4 »

schwank wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:30 pm Simplicity. :beer

100% ITOT.
I agree! Same here! :sharebeer
obafgkm

Re: Willing to disclose your Taxable Portfolio?

Post by obafgkm »

100% FSKAX (Fidelity Total Market Index Fund)
"I'm investing in stocks... chicken, beef, and vegetable. It's risky, but I know one day it'll pay off & I'll be a bouillonaire. Who knows, I might even open up a Broth IRA."
VanGogh

Post by VanGogh »

100% VOO.
HeavyChevy

Post by HeavyChevy »

Same as deferred and Roth:

31% mid cap, e.g. VIMAX
31% large value, e.g. VHYAX
38% high yield bonds split 40% FAGIX 60% VWEAX

I’m retired so the taxable income is no issue. I spend it.
"It's not the best move, but it is a move." - GMHikaru