Should I continue to own Vanguard funds in my Fidelity account?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
notmyhand

Should I continue to own Vanguard funds in my Fidelity account?

Post by notmyhand »

Hello,
I moved my individual 401k from Vanguard to Fidelity. I now own the following Vanguard funds in my Fidelity individual 401k:

Vanguard Energy Investor Fund (VGENX)
Vanguard Real Estate Index Admiral Fund (VGSLX)
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Admiral Fund (VTIAX)
Vanguard Emerging Markets Index Admiral Fund (VEMAX)
Vanguard Small Cap Index Admiral Fund (VSMAX)
Vanguard Total Stock Market Admiral Fund (VTSAX)

I am having trouble figuring out what it's costing me to keep Vanguard funds in a Fidelity account. Should I switch them out for Fidelity funds?

Thank you for your thoughts.
Laundry_Service

Re: Should I continue to own Vanguard funds in my Fidelity account?

Post by Laundry_Service »

It's probably costing you nothing at this point. I think new purchases will have some kind of fee and dividends are likely reinvested for free. You should probably call Fidelity and ask. You also may be able to place a preview for an order for one of your existing funds and you'll probably see a commission fee on the page. I'd suggest looking at ETFs or whatever the equivalent funds that Fidelity offers.

I imagine you aren't interested in moving your i401k again but ETrade offers at least some if not most Vanguard funds with no transaction fees.
Outer Marker

Re: Should I continue to own Vanguard funds in my Fidelity account?

Post by Outer Marker »

Not sure if they'd charge you anything if you're not making trades - just to hold them.

You might want to look at the Fidelity Zero funds for TSM and TISM if you plan to be at Fidelity for the long haul.

Consider consolidating the sector funds into just those two, plus TBM.