Vanguard statements missing

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Vanguard statements missing

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Is anybody having a similar issue?

I have four accounts with Vanguard: Rollover IRA, Roth IRA, General Brokerage, and UTMA for my child. My wife has two accounts, a Rollover and a Roth IRA.

Therefore, I should see four statements per month and my wife should see two. However, the statements showing are sporadic. Under my statements, for example, January and March show all except the general brokerage, February and May only show the Roth and Rollover, April only shows the Rollover.

A similar thing is happening on my wife's accounts. It seems random. I have been on hold with Vanguard for 25 minutes now.
livesoft

Re: Vanguard statements missing

Post by livesoft »

Statements at Vanguard not monthly anymore for some years now.

Maybe there is a list of the types of account activity that will generate a statement somewhere, but if no activity, then no statement.
Last edited by livesoft on Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

livesoft wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:00 am Statements at Vanguard not monthly anymore for some years now.
Even if they are quarterly, then why would I have some statements for January, February, April, and May and why wouldn't I have any statement at all for my taxable brokerage account?
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Just spoke to someone and got it straightened out. I'm a dumdum.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Perhaps different for mutual fund vs. brokerage accounts? I actually stopped retaining the statements any longer as I feel they are worthless. Everything is tracked and reported to the IRS.
Last edited by abuss368 on Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

abuss368 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:23 pm Perhaps different for mutual fund vs. brokerage accounts? I actually topped retaining the statements any longer as I feel they are worthless. Everything is tracked and reported to the IRS.
I'm working on a refinance and need them. Otherwise, I'm with you.

I learned that:

-My Roth IRA and taxable brokerages are on one statement. I didn't look closely enough to notice that. Shame on me. But it still doesn't seem logical.
-My Rollover IRA is its own statement.
-My child's UTMA is its own statement.

-Statements are issued monthly only if there was activity in the month. Otherwise, they are issued quarterly.
ikowik

Post by ikowik »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:35 pm
abuss368 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:23 pm Perhaps different for mutual fund vs. brokerage accounts? I actually topped retaining the statements any longer as I feel they are worthless. Everything is tracked and reported to the IRS.

I learned that:

-My Roth IRA and taxable brokerages are on one statement. I didn't look closely enough to notice that. Shame on me. But it still doesn't seem logical.

-Statements are issued monthly only if there was activity in the month. Otherwise, they are issued quarterly.
That is strange. I have Roth IRA and taxable brokerage accounts at Vanguard too, but receive separate statements for them. The brokerage account has both my and wife's names on it; might be the reason it is not combined with the Roth IRA which is in my name.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

ikowik wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:43 pm

I learned that:

That is strange. I have Roth IRA and taxable brokerage accounts at Vanguard too, but receive separate statements for them. The brokerage account has both my and wife's names on it; might be the reason it is not combined with the Roth IRA which is in my name.
That IS the reason.
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:51 pm
ikowik wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:43 pm

I learned that:

That IS the reason.
My rollover, Roth, and taxable are all in my name, but Roth and taxable are a combined statement. Strange.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

each of our accounts has a separate statement but we also have a household statement that consolidates everything into one. That is the only one I download.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:03 pm
My rollover, Roth, and taxable are all in my name, but Roth and taxable are a combined statement. Strange.
Is the Rollover IRA still a mutual fund account instead of a brokerage account?

Is there an "Upgrade" link near the account title? If yes, then it's a mutual fund account.

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

retired@50 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:13 pm

Is there an "Upgrade" link near the account title? If yes, then it's a mutual fund account.

Regards,
It is a brokerage account with a settlement fund. It even says "Triple Digit Golfer-Rollover IRA Brokerage Account-XXXXXXXX."

All four accounts say brokerage also.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:16 pm

Regards,
It is a brokerage account with a settlement fund. It even says "Triple Digit Golfer-Rollover IRA Brokerage Account-XXXXXXXX."

Oh well, it was a theory. I suppose you could call Vanguard to get to the bottom of it, or like someone mentioned above, you can work with them to issue a "consolidated" statement. I've done this.

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

retired@50 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:17 pm

Regards,

Oh well, it was a theory. I suppose you could call Vanguard to get to the bottom of it, or like someone mentioned above, you can work with them to issue a "consolidated" statement. I've done this.

Regards,
Thanks for your thoughts! As long as I get all the accounts, whether it's a consolidated statement or a 2 or 3, I'm good. Likely won't need these very often anyway.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I learned that:

Now that you say it, I have seen that. Yes, Vanguard will consolidate and report more than one account on a statement (but not all accounts).
goingup

Post by goingup »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:31 pm

Regards,

Regards,
Thanks for your thoughts! As long as I get all the accounts, whether it's a consolidated statement or a 2 or 3, I'm good. Likely won't need these very often anyway.
You can also create your own valuation statement for your Vanguard accounts. It's available under My Accounts..Statements.
rossington

Post by rossington »

goingup wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:54 pm
Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:31 pm

Regards,

Regards,
You can also create your own valuation statement for your Vanguard accounts. It's available under My Accounts..Statements.
That IS a very useful tool.
"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill.
mangorunner

Post by mangorunner »

goingup wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:54 pm You can also create your own valuation statement for your Vanguard accounts. It's available under My Accounts..Statements.
Thank you again for this bit of info - very helpful! I looked it up again today and I don't know if it was always here or recently moved, but it is under My Accounts > Balances & holdings > Balances by date.
RCL

Post by RCL »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:58 am Is anybody having a similar issue?

I have four accounts with Vanguard: Rollover IRA, Roth IRA, General Brokerage, and UTMA for my child. My wife has two accounts, a Rollover and a Roth IRA.

Therefore, I should see four statements per month and my wife should see two. However, the statements showing are sporadic. Under my statements, for example, January and March show all except the general brokerage, February and May only show the Roth and Rollover, April only shows the Rollover.

A similar thing is happening on my wife's accounts. It seems random. I have been on hold with Vanguard for 25 minutes now.
I have 3 accounts a Rollover IRA, a Roth IRA, and a taxable account(in the name of my trust)
I receive 1 statement combining the Rollover and Roth IRA's, and a separate statement for the Taxable account

EDIT: when I said combined, I meant each IRA has it's own information, but the two accounts are on the same statement
celia

Post by celia »

abuss368 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:23 pm Everything is tracked and reported to the IRS.
The only things the IRS receives is the year-end data that impacts your tax return, from capital gains/losses, dividends, to Roth conversions, RMDs, and HSA withdrawals.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

I had this situation earlier this week which prompted me to search the forum.

I reached out to Vanguard on the secure message service as I noticed the same thing - missing statements for some months. All accounts are on the brokerage platform.

A Vanguard representative replied that if there are months with no activity (such as an IRA), they will not produce a statement.

I also inquired about the ability to provide one comprehensive statement with all accounts. Surprisingly, they mentioned that they have received a lot of requests for this and are actively looking into providing this.

Best.
Tony
mangorunner

Post by mangorunner »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:35 am I also inquired about the ability to provide one comprehensive statement with all accounts. Surprisingly, they mentioned that they have received a lot of requests for this and are actively looking into providing this.
I have been receiving a "Household statement" (Vanguard's terminology), that includes all of my accounts, since June 2014.

I also receive separate statements for two of those accounts. I have asked Vanguard a number of times to please eliminate the duplicate statements but they have been unable to do so.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

mangorunner wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:44 am
abuss368 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:35 am I also inquired about the ability to provide one comprehensive statement with all accounts. Surprisingly, they mentioned that they have received a lot of requests for this and are actively looking into providing this.
I have been receiving a "Household statement" (Vanguard's terminology), that includes all of my accounts, since June 2014.

I also receive separate statements for two of those accounts. I have asked Vanguard a number of times to please eliminate the duplicate statements but they have been unable to do so.
When I mentioned the “Household” statements format that I read on Bogleheads, the response was that they offered that years ago but presently are unable to do so.

One would expect in the year 2022, form a technology perspective, that this would be so easy.

Confused.
Tony
mangorunner

Post by mangorunner »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:03 pm When I mentioned the “Household” statements format that I read on Bogleheads, the response was that they offered that years ago but presently are unable to do so.

One would expect in the year 2022, form a technology perspective, that this would be so easy.
Wow. Didn't know that you couldn't still get a household statement.

I would have thought elimination of the duplicates would be a piece of cake, too. I mention it every time I have another reason to call - I ask if they would please eliminate them - but they never do. These are some of the head-scratchers of Vanguard technology. :?:
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

mangorunner wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:13 pm
abuss368 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:03 pm When I mentioned the “Household” statements format that I read on Bogleheads, the response was that they offered that years ago but presently are unable to do so.

Wow. Didn't know that you couldn't still get a household statement.

I would have thought elimination of the duplicates would be a piece of cake, too. I mention it every time I have another reason to call - I ask if they would please eliminate them - but they never do. These are some of the head-scratchers of Vanguard technology. :?:
One would think eliminating duplicate statements across the system (you can’t be the only investor) would lower costs!

Best.
Tony