Which tool or App you use for Portfolio /Asset management

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
johnpau

Which tool or App you use for Portfolio /Asset management

Post by johnpau »

Which app or tool do you use to show all your portfolio's and financial information at once place.

If you have accounts at different places:

Vanguard Roth,stocks,bonds
Citi
Ally
Fidelity
529 -3rd party

Which app or tool is good to pull numbers from all the above accounts and show in single dashboard.
Showing how the allocation(stocks,bonds,CDs,short term...) is setup based on all the accounts.
Last edited by johnpau on Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dbr

Re: Which tool or App you use for Portfolio /Asset management

Post by dbr »

A lot of people find spreadsheets most useful for this purpose. Spreadsheets have the strength that one can design in any capability in the form one wants it and that one knows exactly what everything is and where it came from.

"Pulling" data online is a special problem separate from compiling, analyzing, and presenting the data. Spreadsheet tools do have the ability to pull data from some online sources sometimes. My experience is that this still leaves enough gaps that manual data entry is required for some data.

I am not aware of any app that manipulates the data in the sense of gathering information, analyzing it, determining an action, and then executing that action by issuing orders to your account holding institutions except perhaps in the special case for some actions that everything is on account in one place. Even then the action has to be manual rather than automated.
TheViper

Post by TheViper »

Both Vanguard and Fidelity allow adding "outside investments" for this purpose. I use Vanguard. Allows adding cost as well.
Last edited by TheViper on Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

I chart everything out in Google Sheets and have some formula-driven tables/charts that categorize by asset class, taxable/Roth/pre-tax, etc. Allows me to monitor allocations across all accounts. Though, I have a simple portfolio, so it works for me and doesn't require much time commitment to update for current MVs of holdings across all accounts. But, admittedly, probably not scalable for those with more comprehensive holdings or a lot of accounts. Also interested to hear what others are using...
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

You can use something like personal capital for this.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

SubPar wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:30 am I chart everything out in Google Sheets and have some formula-driven tables/charts that categorize by asset class, taxable/Roth/pre-tax, etc. Allows me to monitor allocations across all accounts. Though, I have a simple portfolio, so it works for me and doesn't require much time commitment to update for current MVs of holdings across all accounts. But, admittedly, probably not scalable for those with more comprehensive holdings or a lot of accounts. Also interested to hear what others are using...
Do you use Google Finance function to pull MVs of some holdings? I think it can do that.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

tashnewbie wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:15 pm
SubPar wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:30 am I chart everything out in Google Sheets and have some formula-driven tables/charts that categorize by asset class, taxable/Roth/pre-tax, etc. Allows me to monitor allocations across all accounts. Though, I have a simple portfolio, so it works for me and doesn't require much time commitment to update for current MVs of holdings across all accounts. But, admittedly, probably not scalable for those with more comprehensive holdings or a lot of accounts. Also interested to hear what others are using...
Do you use Google Finance function to pull MVs of some holdings? I think it can do that.
Yeah, for some. The syntax is very straightforward; e.g., =GOOGLEFINANCE("VTSAX","Price") will return the last NAV/share for the fund. It works better in Roth IRA/Taxable where the volume of transactions is relatively low and my share quantities are fairly static, save intermittent dividend reinvestment in the Roth. But in 401(k), bi-weekly contributions mean you have to continuously refresh your shares to get accurate MVs, so there's still some manual updating required. Also, some of my holdings are CITs, so no ticker available to call for data via the formula. Overall, not perfect, but not all that onerous either.

[Edit for grammar.]
Last edited by SubPar on Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

Fidelity Full View
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

For tracking net worth and spending: Personal Capital

For asset allocation: a Google spreadsheet