Seasoned Bogleheads; What 3 Things Have You Done Financially Related to the Economy Recently

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
GingerU

Seasoned Bogleheads; What 3 Things Have You Done Financially Related to the Economy Recently

Post by GingerU »

Bogleheads,

As a maturing Boglehead, i'm not panicking but I am concerned with a loss of about 8% total in my portfolio due to current conditions. I have a great emergency fund so I'm stable. No job impacts (still working, differently), although my stock grants are now likely to be sold at a loss. What 3 things you have done as a result of the corona virus induced economic difficulties?
CardioMD

Re: Seasoned Bogleheads; What 3 Things Have You Done Financially Related to the Economy Recently

Post by CardioMD »

Working my butt off and going all in on FXAIX. As much as I can spare. In my late 30s so my time horizon is still long.
“The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing.” -Jack Bogle
Trader Joe

Re: Seasoned Bogleheads; What 3 Things Have You Done Financially Related to the Economy Recently

Post by Trader Joe »

GingerU wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:59 pm Bogleheads,

As a maturing Boglehead, i'm not panicking but I am concerned with a loss of about 8% total in my portfolio due to current conditions. I have a great emergency fund so I'm stable. No job impacts (still working, differently), although my stock grants are now likely to be sold at a loss. What 3 things you have done as a result of the corona virus induced economic difficulties?
Absolutely nothing different. For my investments, I have not changed one thing. For my life, same routine as always.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

I'm 65, retired 5 years. 60/40 AA, plus inflation indexed pension and SS.

1. Rebalanced according to my IPS when we hit the rebalance point.
2. Took advantage of low interest rates to refinance the mortgage. I'll do it again if/when rates go lower.
3. Smiling at our lower costs due to not eating out, going to bars with friends, canceled travel. I was surprised at how our expenditures have dropped.
4. Getting a lot of household/automotive jobs done by watching youtube videos, learning how to do it, buying tools and doing the work myself.
somekevinguy

Post by somekevinguy »

Far from seasoned but:

1) considering my bond composition and shifting (eventually) more towards treasuries vs. BND (ie corporate +treasuries) to theoretically take less risk on the fixed income side. Also thinking more about risk (ie fat tail, deflation, inflation) and how to mitigate that and at what price (ie in potential expected returns). Also a good lesson to see that careers like medicine may not be as recession proof as once previously thought (ie if you have your own outpatient practice etc). Confirmed that having 2 years expenses cash on hand is helpful for me.

2) Refinancing my home-although was in the midst of that pre COVID

3) Tax loss harvested and good for quite some time

4) Thought more about preparation (ie for things like earthquakes where I live)
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

I lost 20% of my portfolio, or about 4 years worth of annual expenses in the crash. While I am "staying the course" with the investments already made, I began to fear for my job, and the 6 month EF started to suddenly feel inadequate. I stopped further 401k contributions (my company does a true up at the end of the year, so I will still get full match), and started to add to my cash position. I want to beef up the EF to at least 18 months now. If I am fortunate enough to still hold my job next year, I will contribute only the min to capture full match. It is as if I found myself suddenly in a $60k debt due to the crisis, and scrambling to get myself out of that hole before I feel confident enough to start adding to the investments again.
Explorer

Post by Explorer »

1. Staying the course
2. Not looking at my balances
3. Using Fidelity fractional shares function to buy small quantities of VTI & VXUS almost daily. This is a great sale for equities, the longer it lasts the happier I am. [Not deploying large sums of more money to the market - call me chicken :) ]
Last edited by Explorer on Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

1. Continuing to rebalance out of long Treasuries because they've gone up so much

2. Sold my miniscule gold holding to buy more short TIPS
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

The *only* thing I've done that is new to me, is tax loss harvesting. I didn't do it in 2008-2009, because I didn't know about it. And I haven't done it since then because I haven't really had an opportunity. So.I would like to give a shout-out especially to livesoft, for his many informative posts over the years. Without that exposure, I would not be doing TLH right now, and I'd be worse for it.

Other than that, everything is the same for me. Still contributing to the 401K with each paycheck, still haver automatic contributions to the taxable accounts going in on the 1st of each month.
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.

Post by 1789 »

CardioMD wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:10 pm Working my butt off and going all in on FXAIX. As much as I can spare. In my late 30s so my time horizon is still long.
+1. Same here
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
notsobright

Post by notsobright »

I actually changed my IPS from 50% bonds to 45% bonds 5% cash
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Howdy

Tax loss harvesting, same as 2009. Reducing my long time holdings of individual stocks and redirecting to index funds. Raised a bit of cash for contingencies, about a years base expenses.

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Just one thing involving investing, I rebalanced inside my rollover IRA by exchanging from my bond fund to Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund (VTSAX).
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I have very little tax loss harvesting I can do, unless the market falls farther, but I have done what I could so so far. Not on the optimal days of course but a reasonable guess. And I've done Roth conversions, mostly prematurely, unfortunately. I don't mind venturing into the 24% bracket, but have the new concern of potentially disqualifying myself from some future income-limted payout like the $1200 this year. Just in Roth conversions so far my 2020 income will exceed the limit.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

Retired. 75yo. Desired AA 35/55/10, but is now 30/60/10. Over 90% is taxable. Total portfolio is down 12.5% from the high. And......I'm not doing anything with my portfolio at this point. I'm thankful we have a comfortable, paid-off home, no debt, and we have enough $$ not to worry too much other than to follow our state's stay-at-home rules so we don't get this virus.

So:
I've done nothing to my portfolio....yet. Will rebalance if it meets my investment plan.
My spending is down because we aren't eating meals out as we usually do, so my checking account balance is up.
I'm not traveling, and have canceled two trips, for which we will get either/or refunds or travel vouchers.
Gas prices are way down, but we have nowhere to go. :annoyed
delamer

Post by delamer »

Tax loss harvesting in taxable.

Rebalancing in tax deferred.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

For a long while directed all stock and bond dividends to bonds as I glided to retirement allocation. Now retired and having a pension that covers all regular expences, was going to spend dividends on a trip this year. But the trip is cancelled so redirecting all dividends to stocks.

I've also used the new rule eliminating RMDs on IRAs this year to cancel the RMD set up for the end of the year. Also set up a calendar notice to remind me to restart the auto RMD next January.

So far there is no thing 3.
Regards, | | Guy
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

read my ips.

tuned out the noise and negative/downer threads on BH.

sipped my coffee.
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Not sure if I'm a seasoned "Boglehead" , though I sure feel well seasoned on slow mornings. . . .

1. DW and I talk about portfolios and the latest repercussions to extended family and friends financially, more than usual.
2. DW and I have adjusted our IPS to shift our allocation after the eventual recovery.
3. Otherwise, nothing. Our 35/65 hybrid LMP has functioned as planned.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

1. I sold brand new sport car back to the dealer for 135K to throw into the market.
2. I dumped 580K into the market last two weeks.
3. I saved additional 2 years for EF with total of 4 years of EF.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

vipertom1970 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:33 pm 1. I sold brand new sport car back to the dealer for 135K to throw into the market.
What sort of emergency lasts four years? And what was the sports car?
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I haven’t done a thing.

JT
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

whodidntante wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:42 pm
vipertom1970 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:33 pm 1. I sold brand new sport car back to the dealer for 135K to throw into the market.
What sort of emergency lasts four years?
none, but I got no human capital anymore last 8 months and still trying to help my daughter with medical school. I sold back to the dealer a 2019 Targa 4GTS with less then 2,000 miles. I have my eyes on another sport car only if the market back to new high.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

OP,
  1. Had our wills and trust reviewed. Amended them to close a few gaps.
  2. Quadrupled donations to charities that feed and care for people in crisis
  3. Worked with an importer to source KN95 masks and coordinated donations to our area hospitals
WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

WoodSpinner wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:13 am OP,
  3. Worked with an importer to source KN95 masks and coordinated donations to our area hospitals
WoodSpinner
Good on you Woodspinner! You set a good example for the rest of us.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

8%? I lose or gain 8% in a single day these days.

I lost income, I lost wealth, and I have a job where I now worry I'll become seriously ill or bring serious illness to my family.

But 8%? No, that's not a concern to me.

We really haven't changed anything though because we were FI before. So we're still spending like we otherwise would. If we weren't, then we weren't really FI before were we?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

1. Tax loss harvested
2. Rebalanced (bought equities)
3. Moved a portion of cash held in Vanguard money market fund to bank no-penalty CDs for better yield.

ETA: Spouse and I each purchased I-Bonds
Last edited by HomeStretch on Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Awats

Post by Awats »

I had no cosmic insight but I had been thinking the market is just to high without sufficient justification. I was in three funds (intl, SP500 and US bonds.) Last year I bailed out of international on a peak (or close to it.) In January I bailed out of the S&P. As the Covid virus started taking off I saw a nice rise in the US bond fund and bailed out (but not quite at the peak.) I was able to preserve about 50% of the sudden rise as the US bond markets dropped. In late Feb I bailed out of MM so now I am in all cash. I can afford to not have any increase while we see where this is going. I know the US government would take steps to keep MM funds sound but given the paltry returns I felt it wasn't worth the risk.

So I was able to get out with all of my money plus some profit. While I didn't make a killing, at least I have more than I projected for this period in my retirement.

I am waiting to see where this goes. I don't think the market nor any of the various funds are near the bottom. I know I can't pick the perfect moment but I can get somewhat close. The virus needs to wane before I even think of getting back in. I'll hold back 3-5 years in cash and get in when I think it's bottomed out. But I don't expect the markets to overall return to the January 2020 levels for several years. I believe recovery will be spotty and a challenge for a long time. I will diversify more too.

But again, my actions were more serendipitous than intelligence. I just felt things were way too hot. I was lucky and nothing more.
enebyberg

Post by enebyberg »

1. Rebalanced
2. Taught my kids the importance of an Emergency Fund. One teen and two college age. They have each saved at least $1,500 towards that besides any other savings or investment.
3. Taught them the expected loss rate of different percentages of stock and bond investments in a market downturn or black swan event.
WannabeBogleHead01

Post by WannabeBogleHead01 »

1. Tax loss harvested in taxable
2. Stopped investing in taxable to increase EF
3. Done more yard work in past month then I’ve done in years
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

My Balanced Fund does its thing. TIPS Funds I do not touch either. I like balanced funds cause I can mess up a free lunch.
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

63 years old, retired, no pension.
1. Prepared and filed our 2019 income tax returns and received refund.
2. Bought a small amount of common stock, Coca-Cola and DNP.
3. Got out of Vanguard money market and bought CD at Ally Bank at 1.75%.
4. Watched my March 31 dividends from Vanguard Funds reinvest.
5. Looking at cancelling two trips we had planned.

Sorry, that's 5, I've been busy.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

1. I rebalanced last week, because my IPS calls for that once a quarter when the allocation drifts more than 5% off target

2. I cut down on discretionary spending and am redirecting the difference into expanding the EF.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

1. Let my allocation drift from 40 /60 to 30/70 and then back up a bit. Will rebalance a bit when it hits 29/71.
2. Moved some money market to CD.
3. Spent on some needed clothing.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

1. Started washing my hands frequently after touching money
2. Focused all of my new investment into my equity fund, cash/bond balance was already plenty high enough
3. More seriously considering doing the Roth rollover of my after-tax 401k contributions that I've neglected for way too long.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
SteveJones

Post by SteveJones »

Invested all play money I had which was around 25,000 between 21-23 March into my taxable Vanguard account that is used as part of our house down payment fund.

TLH all of my international stock and VTSAX.

Converted some traditional IRAs to ROTH on 22 Mar.

Maxed out an IRA on 10 Mar (I was positive that was the bottom, OOPS!)
welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe »

1) TLH of TSM and Total International.
2) Moved my cash out of TBills now paying 0% and into FDIC insured CDs and Savings paying 1.5%+
I am not an investment professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

52, still with my job. My only moves have been caused by the market movements, based on long-established decisions in my Investment Policy Statement.)

February: paid off my mortgage while keeping the same amount in stock. (I sold international ETFs in my taxable account for a loss or a small gain and used that to pay off the mortgage; simultaneously, I bought an equal amount of an international stock fund in my employer plan by selling bonds.)

March: rebalanced near the market bottom.

April: harvested another loss, selling one international ETF to buy another (rebuying one that I sold all of in February, now that I am past the wash sale deadline).
Wiki David Grabiner
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

1) Curtailed discretionary spending (including Cancelling all planned T&E) not by choice, but because of the lockdown - expect to materially underspend our budget this year,
2) Reallocating funds to FIDC/NCUA insured CD’s (opened and funded two this month at NFCU - one a 37-month IRA CD at 3.0% and one a 17-month traditional CD at 2.25%)

That’s all I’ve got.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
SteveJones

Post by SteveJones »

MikeG62 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:52 am 1) Curtailed discretionary spending (including Cancelling all planned T&E) not by choice, but because of the lockdown - expect to materially underspend our budget this year,
2) Reallocating funds to FIDC/NCUA insured CD’s (opened and funded two this month at NFCU - one a 37-month IRA CD at 3.0% and one a 17-month traditional CD at 2.25%)

That’s all I’ve got.
I locked in two of those 17 month 2.25% CDs with Navy Fed. At the time I was disappointed with the interest rate, but it looks great right now! If you have other CDs and want to consolidate NFCU is allowing you to withdraw CDs early without penalty.
Bullhead5829

Post by Bullhead5829 »

I'm 66, retired 11 years. 70/30 AA, with federal CSRS pension.

1. Staying the course (neither selling nor buying).
2. Gone back to looking at my balances for updates only at quarter end.
3. Staying home as usual.
and 4. NOT watching the continual media spin!
acejacksingh

Post by acejacksingh »

WoodSpinner wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:13 am OP,
WoodSpinner
There needs to be more people in this world like you. Thank you!
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

1. Allowed short term / cash reserves to build - saved recent bonus and deferred some spending
2. Moved most of my money in Prime MM to a high yield savings account
3. Increased physical cash on hand from about $200 to about $600
delamer

Post by delamer »

White Coat Investor wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:45 am

8%? I lose or gain 8% in a single day these days.

I lost income, I lost wealth, and I have a job where I now worry I'll become seriously ill or bring serious illness to my family.

But 8%? No, that's not a concern to me.

We really haven't changed anything though because we were FI before. So we're still spending like we otherwise would. If we weren't, then we weren't really FI before were we?
I thought of you the other day; I hope you and your family stay safe and healthy.

I have a close friend whose daughter is a hospitalist in a major inner-city hospital (although thankfully not NYC), and her safety is a huge concern for her family.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

GingerU wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:59 pmWhat 3 things you have done as a result of the corona virus induced economic difficulties?
1). Stay the course (as others have mentioned above)
2). Maxed out iBond purchases (DW and I)
3). Cut some expenses (travel, dining out, entertainment)

...and one more:

4). Gifted son and daughter-in-law their 2020 Roth contributions - invested in low E.R. Target Date Fund. Happy birthday, you two!
Quaestner

Post by Quaestner »

1. Drained a big chunk of our donor advised fund to give to local and global charities doing good work. (Why let the money sit unused now?)

2. Rebalanced into stocks.

3-ish. Tax loss harvest, buy I-Bonds. Cross fingers for TP during next foraging expedition!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

whodidntante wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:42 pm
What sort of emergency lasts four years? And what was the sports car?
Enquiring minds want to know :).
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:49 am 1. Let my allocation drift from 40 /60 to 30/70 and then back up a bit. Will rebalance a bit when it hits 29/71.
2. Moved some money market to CD.
3. Spent on some needed clothing.
+1
Same here.
For now, just leaving it alone.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Afty

Post by Afty »

I am sticking to my plan and not changing anything. When I totaled up the numbers for this quarter, I'm only down about 10% YTD. That's much better than expected given all the noise here and in the media.