What Individual stocks are you buying?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
adamthesmythe

Re: What Individual stocks are you buying?

Post by adamthesmythe »

Here's my complete list:

geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

mega317 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:15 am All of them, through my index funds.

I don't think you're going to get the engagement you want on this forum.ok
:beer

Insert list of S&P 500 companies
VTSAX and chill
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

adamthesmythe wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:47 pm Here's my complete list:

:sharebeer Bless you sir
VTSAX and chill
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla »

adamthesmythe wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:47 pm Here's my complete list:

...so funny!

:mrgreen:
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Been watching and/or buying with my play money:

Disney
Tesla
Starbucks
Carnival Cruise
Visa
Apple
Amazon
Boeing
Delta
Bama12

Post by Bama12 »

As always
Apple-AAPL
Bank of American-BAC
US Bancorp-USB
Coca-Cola-KO
Pepsi-PEP
Wendy's-WEN
Kroger-KR
Johnson & Johnson-JNJ
Procter & Gamble-PG
Pfizer-PFE
Marathon Oil-MRO
Occidental Petroleum-OXY
Suncor Energy-SU
Store Capital-STOR
Bank of New York Mellon-BK
Boeing CO-BA
Exxon Mobil-XOM
McDonald's-MCD
Wal Mart-WMT
dmcmahon

Post by dmcmahon »

bloom2708 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:44 am I thought about buying Ford when it went under $9. Now it is under $7.

Even thinking about an individual stock makes it go down (for me). :oops:

Total US stock index has most all you are thinking are "deals".
Please post a set of stock picks short recommendations!
honduranhurricane

Post by honduranhurricane »

BA, DIS, LHX, MSFT and GE amoung others
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Same here. Sp 500 index..however.. I do buy some on side..wont make or break me but makes me.feel.like im.in the game
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

GS
V
BA
WF
STWD
BRK-B

My naive logic
Goldman Sachs: well capitalized and deep roots within government no matter who or what party wins election (not saying that they have undue influence but .....

V: Secular trend of less cash transactions as

BA: unlikely to go bankrupt. Currently the defense contracts through government will in and of itself sustain company. I believe that they will sell airplanes in the future and not all airlines are comfortable with only having Aerbus as the sole plane maker. Continued secular trend that after 18 months from COVID travel decline will return above current state of nearly zero (not necessarily to pre-COVID19 era) and airlines will then feel comfortable allocating capital to purchase planes.

WF- presume all the bad press and culture of the prior years are behind them. Well capitalized and increasingly efficient operations with decreasing costs. Feel this is going forward a reliable capital return business (dividends that will I will reinvest via a DRIP). No bail out from government so will be able to return capital to investors.

Starwood REIT: yield with annual dividends currently near 20%. Board confirmed last week the dividend has always been a priority with maintained capital to payout . Comfortable with the business leaders who have been through economic downturns in past.

Berkshire : betting on they do better In the long run when others panic

All these individual stocks were purchased in the last 1 Week with nearly equal weighting (15% each) from new capital allocated for such events that leads to >30% decline.

Full disclosure also have Long term holdings:
Apple
Google
Starbucks
Walmart
Disney

Total funds within individual stocks about 10% of investments in equities/bonds
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

With my 'dumb' money I was going to tax loss harvest XLF (Bank ETF, bought right after Trump elected) for VFH (Vanguard's Bank ETF). I then saw how badly oil stocks were doing and decided to buy XOM instead (Exxon Mobile).

#blowmysmallbrainout
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:02 am
Frugalbear wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:42 am Good morning everyone!

If you are throwing your money at any individual stocks currently, what are they?

I'm really developing a strong position in:

AAL
GE
PPL
Okay, you have piqued my interest, what made you select these 3 stocks? :?: :?: :?:
Probably because PPL is yielding 7.25%. Half of their earnings come from distribution companies in Great Britian.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
Slowtraveler

Post by Slowtraveler »

The list of individual stocks I've bought in the last month is literally in the thousands. I hope you have too. I'm guaranteed to buy every bargain this way.
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

Xrayman69 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:30 pm GS
V
BA
WF
STWD
BRK-B

My naive logic
Goldman Sachs: well capitalized and deep roots within government no matter who or what party wins election (not saying that they have undue influence but .....

V: Secular trend of less cash transactions as

BA: unlikely to go bankrupt. Currently the defense contracts through government will in and of itself sustain company. I believe that they will sell airplanes in the future and not all airlines are comfortable with only having Aerbus as the sole plane maker. Continued secular trend that after 18 months from COVID travel decline will return above current state of nearly zero (not necessarily to pre-COVID19 era) and airlines will then feel comfortable allocating capital to purchase planes.

WF- presume all the bad press and culture of the prior years are behind them. Well capitalized and increasingly efficient operations with decreasing costs. Feel this is going forward a reliable capital return business (dividends that will I will reinvest via a DRIP). No bail out from government so will be able to return capital to investors.

Starwood REIT: yield with annual dividends currently near 20%. Board confirmed last week the dividend has always been a priority with maintained capital to payout . Comfortable with the business leaders who have been through economic downturns in past.

Berkshire : betting on they do better In the long run when others panic

All these individual stocks were purchased in the last 1 Week with nearly equal weighting (15% each) from new capital allocated for such events that leads to >30% decline.

Full disclosure also have Long term holdings:
Apple
Google
Starbucks
Walmart
Disney

Total funds within individual stocks about 10% of investments in equities/bonds

+1 I'm watching Boeing closely and am committed to buying again if/when it nears $100. I'm also pretty confident that Boeing would be considered 'strategic' to the US - and wouldn't be allowed to fail.

Also long Apple, MCDonalds, and Walmart (and, of course, VOO and VTI)
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

what do.u guys think.about Ford / GE/GM.
Slowtraveler

Post by Slowtraveler »

Ford and GM had too much debt and fixed costs last I saw them. Their earnings will collapse with the stop because most people don't need a new car. The used car market is huge and demand for new cars highly elastic.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Slowtraveler wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:44 pm Ford and GM had too much debt and fixed costs last I saw them. Their earnings will collapse with the stop because most people don't need a new car. The used car market is huge and demand for new cars highly elastic.
Interesting. That brings us to the increase in auto parts demand..IE Auto zone, Oreilly amongst others..so based on what you said, we shoulf expect Auto parts stocks to go up
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I've was looking at Boeing. Should have bought when in the 90s 2 weeks ago.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Keenobserver wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:41 pm what do.u guys think.about Ford / GE/GM.
I fear that the ratio of cars to population will continue to decline, suggesting that peak auto has passed. Mass transit and the rise of autonomous cars that could be incorporated into the Uber/Lyft model to further decrease the cost of point to point trips. Having access to easy reliable transportation may increase the number of US households that no longer need to own multiple cars.

The cost of keeping a second car in the parked position is increasingly recognized as an inefficiency and unnecessary luxury. At our main home base only a single car to drive kid to school and activities.

That’s my thesis on why I’m not interested in automakers as individual stock investments. Tesla, I’m not sure values as an auto company by the multiple it is given. It appears to have a multiple on par with a technology company. Too many other options than to consider this battleground, but I understand why some may be interested.
OnTrack

Post by OnTrack »

Rosencrantz1 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:34 pm
V
BA
WF
STWD
BRK-B

My naive logic

+1 I'm watching Boeing closely and am committed to buying again if/when it nears $100. I'm also pretty confident that Boeing would be considered 'strategic' to the US - and wouldn't be allowed to fail.
Well, in 2009, GM wasn't allowed to fail, however, the stockholders got shares in the "Old GM," aka Motors Liquidation Company (MTLQQ) which is not the "New GM," so they did not share in post GFC success of GM.
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

OnTrack wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:45 pm
V
BA
WF
STWD
BRK-B

My naive logic

Well, in 2009, GM wasn't allowed to fail, however, the stockholders got shares in the "Old GM," aka Motors Liquidation Company (MTLQQ) which is not the "New GM," so they did not share in post GFC success of GM.
Good point. I suppose the gov't *could* allow the liquidation of current stock holders - only to resurrect a 'new' Boeing. Still... if Boeing gets near $100, I'll take that risk.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

TheOscarGuy wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:41 am
Frugalbear wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:42 am Good morning everyone!

If you are throwing your money at any individual stocks currently, what are they?

I'm really developing a strong position in:

AAL
GE
PPL
No naked stocks. Only through index funds. I don't necessarily decide what I buy inside an index :happy
I don't understand the point behind this exercise. Is this your play money that you want to take a chance, just to scratch an itch.?
Index funds for. Me too. OP are you sure you are in the right investing forum?
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

Berkshire Hathaway B
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
Shael_AT

Post by Shael_AT »

5% of my portfolio is individual stocks that I am confident in due to my industry.

$MSFT , "Microsoft? More like MACRO. HARD."

Will be fun to see how my boi' Nutella performs 2020-2024
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Rosencrantz1 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:48 am
V
BA
WF
STWD
BRK-B

My naive logic

Good point. I suppose the gov't *could* allow the liquidation of current stock holders - only to resurrect a 'new' Boeing. Still... if Boeing gets near $100, I'll take that risk.
I believe BA board is clear they will not accept “government bailout” in any terms that Would dilute shareholder equity. they will accept bridge loan that permits them alternative source of financing beyond private markets to maintain the airplane business (and keep employees on the payroll) . They would also accept investment into BA similar to what government did in investing with AIG in 2008-09 for which the government made a profit in their investment.

I believe the contracts that they have with government contracts are still being paid and thus maintain cash flow as a business in and of itself to the tune of about $70/share by some analyst estimates.
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

Xrayman69 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:09 pm
Rosencrantz1 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:48 am
V
BA
WF
STWD
BRK-B

My naive logic

I believe BA board is clear they will not accept “government bailout” in any terms that Would dilute shareholder equity. they will accept bridge loan that permits them alternative source of financing beyond private markets to maintain the airplane business (and keep employees on the payroll) . They would also accept investment into BA similar to what government did in investing with AIG in 2008-09 for which the government made a profit in their investment.

I believe the contracts that they have with government contracts are still being paid and thus maintain cash flow as a business in and of itself to the tune of about $70/share by some analyst estimates.
Good information - thanks. If what you believe is in fact true (and I'm not suggesting otherwise), it reaffirms my willingness to buy BA. Very hard for me to imagine the airline industry going away - especially long term.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Keeping an eye (sometimes both) on:
Apple AAPL
Boeing BA
Disney DIS
Microsoft MSFT
General Mills GIS
ExxonMobil XOM

A few others too.
lane7068

Post by lane7068 »

Mostly VTI. But just in case they drop back down to March 23 numbers and below, I've got automatic purchases set for the below stocks in 5 dollar increments going downward:

Boeing
Marriott International
Disney
General Dynamics
Delta
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

RC
DAL
MGM
NVCR
ZTS

Since I’m buying some, you can expect bankruptcy of at least two. Added as a disclaimer- indexes make up 90%+ of my portfolio.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

I only buy with funny money (small potatoes). Just bought more XOM and will purchase more Visa.
staustin

Post by staustin »

JonnyDVM wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:03 pm RC
DAL
MGM
NVCR
ZTS

Since I’m buying some, you can expect bankruptcy of at least two. Added as a disclaimer- indexes make up 90%+ of my portfolio.
DAL and XOM p/e ratio's low low low..... of course recognizing that dal in particular will have no income short term. but, it's currently trading at 3.. my goodness. XOM currently at 12.. again, by historical terms in the value buy range. ZTS on the other hand, p/e ratio of 37. no thanks.
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

bondsr4me wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:40 am Keeping an eye (sometimes both) on:
Apple AAPL
Boeing BA
Disney DIS
Microsoft MSFT
General Mills GIS
ExxonMobil XOM

A few others too.
+1 looks like my list. I've bought some MCD too - I think around 140.
UliKunkel1953

Post by UliKunkel1953 »

I'm surprised to see so much speculative chatter here. It seems anathema to how this forum usually leans.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Rosencrantz1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:24 pm
bondsr4me wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:40 am Keeping an eye (sometimes both) on:
Apple AAPL
Boeing BA
Disney DIS
Microsoft MSFT
General Mills GIS
ExxonMobil XOM

A few others too.
+1 looks like my list. I've bought some MCD too - I think around 140.
+1
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

staustin wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:12 pm
DAL
MGM
NVCR
ZTS

DAL and XOM p/e ratio's low low low..... of course recognizing that dal in particular will have no income short term. but, it's currently trading at 3.. my goodness. XOM currently at 12.. again, by historical terms in the value buy range. ZTS on the other hand, p/e ratio of 37. no thanks.
I buy a lot of products from ZTS. They make good stuff. It dropped to under $100 for a brief moment and I grabbed a bit to average down. Plus it makes me feel a little bit better owning some stock in the company every time I cut them a check for thousands of dollars.

XOM- maybe it’s a good buy. I just can’t feel good about what they do.
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

careytilden wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:29 pm I'm surprised to see so much speculative chatter here. It seems anathema to how this forum usually leans.
This is nothing IMHO. Over the past month or so, there's been ALL kinds of threads about market timing, capitulation, margins, trend and technical analysis, etc, etc.

Disclosure: The vast majority of my equity holdings are in VOO/VTI - and, I've been a buyer with the market fall. :beer
staustin

Post by staustin »

Like others have mentioned, the $'s are very small in total. The vast majority of my equity holdings are index funds. t's just intellectual stimulation at this point more than anything.
UliKunkel1953

Post by UliKunkel1953 »

Rosencrantz1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:53 pm
careytilden wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:29 pm I'm surprised to see so much speculative chatter here. It seems anathema to how this forum usually leans.
This is nothing IMHO. Over the past month or so, there's been ALL kinds of threads about market timing, capitulation, margins, trend and technical analysis, etc, etc.

Disclosure: The vast majority of my equity holdings are in VOO/VTI - and, I've been a buyer with the market fall. :beer
I wonder if the mods should create a new board for heretical discussions? :twisted:
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

careytilden wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:22 pm

I wonder if the mods should create a new board for heretical discussions? :twisted:
Good question. While I don't typically act on it, I generally enjoy reading different points-of-view. There are some very sharp folks posting on this site.

I understand this is 'Bogleheads' - but, if I had a nickel for every time I've read 'nobody knows nothing' or 'stay the course' or 'buy the haystack', I could probably pay cash for my next latte (or beer)! :beer
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Rosencrantz1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:48 pm

Good question. While I don't typically act on it, I generally enjoy reading different points-of-view. There are some very sharp folks posting on this site.

I understand this is 'Bogleheads' - but, if I had a nickel for every time I've read 'nobody knows nothing' or 'stay the course' or 'buy the haystack', I could probably pay cash for my next latte (or beer)! :beer

Oh pish posh. We’re just having fun. If 5% or so of my portfolio is individual stock how much harm can it possibly do? I’ll most likely end up either slightly over performing the index or slightly underperforming it. If nothing else It gives me something to talk about with friends. There’s certainly no sports news to discuss right now and all the craps tables are closed.
sp0704

Post by sp0704 »

Air Canada and MGM
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

JonnyDVM wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:26 am
Oh pish posh. We’re just having fun. If 5% or so of my portfolio is individual stock how much harm can it possibly do? I’ll most likely end up either slightly over performing the index or slightly underperforming it. If nothing else It gives me something to talk about with friends. There’s certainly no sports news to discuss right now and all the craps tables are closed.
+1
Redlion

Post by Redlion »

To Boglehead diehards, the advice such as stay the course or buy the haystack is like going to Church, its reemphasizing what you already know.
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

sp0704 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:31 am Air Canada and MGM
I bought some MGM. Not a LOT of it though - the company has a lot of debt. Still... I don't see it folding. I think MGM can weather months of down time - but, if it exceeded a year then ?? Of course, if Las Vegas were shut down for a year, the city (and state) would have LOTS of serious problems.

/0.02 cents
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

Redlion wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:50 am

To Boglehead diehards, the advice such as stay the course or buy the haystack is like going to Church, its reemphasizing what you already know.
Interesting analogy. I guess I'm not a 'diehard' given my dabbling in individual stocks... but, without question, the majority of my equity holding is in VOO/VTI.
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

DAL
MGM
NVCR
ZTS

Did you take the leap on MGM? Mr Market apparently doesn't think it's headed (yet) to bankruptcy. Up 22% today.

Of course, there's always the possibility of reversal tomorrow... :beer
fatlever

Post by fatlever »

Mostly AMZN and MSFT with a sprinkle of GOOGL. Only want to invest in my sphere of knowledge where I am confident.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Rosencrantz1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:27 pm
DAL
MGM
NVCR
ZTS

Did you take the leap on MGM? Mr Market apparently doesn't think it's headed (yet) to bankruptcy. Up 22% today.

Yes. Nice little spike today, but it could be fleeting. To be honest, the main reason I like owning MGM is it makes for great fun at the blackjack tables. You can applaud the dealer for being a model employee when they take your chips "You're doing great work for this company" Keep at it! I'm proud of you!" Alternatively, you can scold them if you win. "What are you doing??? I'm very very disappointed in your performance today :| "

I find it hysterical, the dealers may or may not be amused. :mrgreen:
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

JonnyDVM wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:39 pm
Rosencrantz1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:27 pm
DAL
MGM
NVCR
ZTS

Yes. Nice little spike today, but it could be fleeting. To be honest, the main reason I like owning MGM is it makes for great fun at the blackjack tables. You can applaud the dealer for being a model employee when they take your chips "You're doing great work for this company" Keep at it! I'm proud of you!" Alternatively, you can scold them if you win. "What are you doing??? I'm very very disappointed in your performance today :| "

I find it hysterical, the dealers may or may not be amused. :mrgreen:
Good for you. I bought most of mine at a bit over $7/share. And, I anticipate holding with a stop loss at $5. BUT, I really think (obviously) that it'll be back in the 20s within a year or so... I suppose we'll see... :beer
statefan03

Post by statefan03 »

AFLAC and Tyson Foods seem look good options right now.