What Individual stocks are you buying?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Re: What Individual stocks are you buying?

Post by 000 »

anoop wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:03 pm I really want to but I get turned turned off by their corny anti-Apple ads. The dividend is very attractive. I had position for several years which I exited when they screwed up on their manufacturing promises. They have a new CEO now. In tech, usually one big slip and there's no coming back (there are exceptions but very rare). With the kind of ads they are putting out, I'm not sure they have their act together.
Do you think the anti-Apple ads are actually meant to convert Apple users or prevent slippage among PC customers (from going to Apple or AMD)?
Last edited by 000 on Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
anoop

Post by anoop »

000 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:21 pm
anoop wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:03 pm I really want to but I get turned turned off by their corny anti-Apple ads. The dividend is very attractive. I had position for several years which I exited when they screwed up on their manufacturing promises. They have a new CEO now. In tech, usually one big slip and there's no coming back (there are exceptions but very rare). With the kind of ads they are putting out, I'm not sure they have their act together.
Do you think the anti-Apple ads are actually meant to convert Apple users or prevent slippage among PC customers (from going to Apple or AMD)?
It's hard to say who the ads are targeting because, in my experience, one wants to be on macOS or Windows and then picks the best machine for their needs. There are some weird issues for power users of Macs with the M1 chip, but there are still Intel-based Macs for such folks, and my guess is that Apple will address those issues in their next gen chip (M1X or M2) before they discontinue Intel-based machines.

Post by 000 »

anoop wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:33 pm .
Reading the comments on the ad on youtube has me even more bullish on this stock.

Value trap is a concern but doesn't INTC have the only major remaining chip foundries in North America?
danaht

Post by danaht »

000 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:37 pm Thinking about starting a position in Intel (INTC). Any thoughts?
I own Intel stock. I think it's a great buy right now. If you look at history - AMD and Intel have periods (or cycles) where one outperforms the other. Seems like AMD will lead Intel for 5 years - and then Intel will lead AMD for 5 years (or 10 years). I am really excited about Intels Alder Lake CPUs that will be released in the next few months, and Intel's new dedicated graphics cards that will be released in 2022. Intel also pays a good dividend.
anoop

Post by anoop »

000 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:35 pm
anoop wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:33 pm .
Reading the comments on the ad on youtube has me even more bullish on this stock.

Value trap is a concern but doesn't INTC have the only major remaining chip foundries in North America?
Not an expert but TSMC and Samsung seem to be investing heavily and both appear to be ahead of Intel.

Post by 000 »

danaht wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:42 pm I own Intel stock. I think it's a great buy right now. If you look at history - AMD and Intel have periods (or cycles) where one outperforms the other. Seems like AMD will lead Intel for 5 years - and then Intel will lead AMD for 5 years (or 10 years). I am really excited about Intels Alder Lake CPUs that will be released in the next few months, and Intel's new dedicated graphics cards that will be released in 2022. Intel also pays a good dividend.
Good points. I feel similarly to you.
anoop

Post by anoop »

danaht wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:42 pm
000 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:37 pm Thinking about starting a position in Intel (INTC). Any thoughts?
I own Intel stock. I think it's a great buy right now. If you look at history - AMD and Intel have periods (or cycles) where one outperforms the other. Seems like AMD will lead Intel for 5 years - and then Intel will lead AMD for 5 years (or 10 years). I am really excited about Intels Alder Lake CPUs that will be released in the next few months, and Intel's new dedicated graphics cards that will be released in 2022. Intel also pays a good dividend.
This is not about AMD vs Intel anymore.

They are being hit from multiple fronts -- Apple (laptops), Nvidia (graphics/AIML), Microsoft/AMD (reportedly collaborating on ARM processor for Windows), AMD (servers), TSMC/Samsung (manufacturing), ...

They will be around but growth is very questionable, IMO, and they better not screw up or they will be destroyed in no time. Their monopoly is fading.
danaht

Post by danaht »

anoop wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:02 pm

They are being hit from multiple fronts -- Apple (laptops), Nvidia (graphics/AIML), Microsoft/AMD (reportedly collaborating on ARM processor for Windows), AMD (servers), TSMC/Samsung (manufacturing), ...

They will be around but growth is very questionable, IMO, and they better not screw up or they will be destroyed in no time. Their monopoly is fading.
The interesting thing is - people were saying similar things about AMD when AMD's stock was ~ $2 six years ago. Intel does not need a monopoly to do well. They just need to produce chips that people want. I see it as a glass half full situation - where Intel can get more business by producing Apple's (and other companies) custom chips in Intel's fabs. I also think that graphics cards will finally become obsolete in the next decade - and that Intel will be one of the main companies making this happen with very powerful CPU/GPU (APU) integration. I really like the plans that Intel's new CEO has listed so far - one of the companies I am most excited about.
Last edited by danaht on Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anoop

Post by anoop »

danaht wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:35 pm

The interesting thing is - people were saying similar things about AMD when AMD's stock was ~ $2 six years ago. Intel does not need a monopoly to do well. They just need to produce chips that people want. I see it as a glass half full situation - where Intel can get more business by producing Apple's (and other companies) custom chips in Intel's fabs. I also think that graphics cards will finally become obsolete in the next decade - and that Intel will be one of the main companies making this happen with very powerful CPU/APU integration. I really like the plans that Intel's new CEO has listed so far - one of the companies I am most excited about.
The monopoly meant they could screw up on execution and entire world would wait (which they did with several chips). Without the monopoly, if they screw up in execution they will be run over. Of course, the other guys could screw up giving Intel an edge. But usually, this a winner take it all game and Intel having been on the decline for a while, they have lost a lot of their best talent to competitors and retirement.
Tortoise2030

Post by Tortoise2030 »

None.
anoop

Post by anoop »

danaht wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:35 pm

The interesting thing is - people were saying similar things about AMD when AMD's stock was ~ $2 six years ago. Intel does not need a monopoly to do well. They just need to produce chips that people want. I see it as a glass half full situation - where Intel can get more business by producing Apple's (and other companies) custom chips in Intel's fabs. I also think that graphics cards will finally become obsolete in the next decade - and that Intel will be one of the main companies making this happen with very powerful CPU/GPU (APU) integration. I really like the plans that Intel's new CEO has listed so far - one of the companies I am most excited about.
Tomorrow would be an excellent day to start a position.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

anoop wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:04 pm Tomorrow would be an excellent day to start a position.
After that 8.5% drop AH, it's probably a reasonable valuation, especially if future strategy/growth turns out okay.
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

DWACW
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

jarjarM wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:21 pm
anoop wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:04 pm Tomorrow would be an excellent day to start a position.
After that 8.5% drop AH, it's probably a reasonable valuation, especially if future strategy/growth turns out okay.
Might as well pick up some IBM as well.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:40 pm
Might as well pick up some IBM as well.
Good point :beer
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

Tanelorn wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:39 pmDWACW
The time to pick it was this morning at 9am
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

jarjarM wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:44 pm
Tanelorn wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:39 pmDWACW
The time to pick it was this morning at 9am
Mid morning was still quite good. Even better was yesterday when there was a suspiciously large bunch of extra volume ahead of the merger announcement; those buyers would be up 40x on their money right now. But even buying at the close today has you up 100% in of the after market...
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Im not. But kin bought industrials, defense and energy stocks in 2009-13.
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

Intel chips are power hungry and quite large when compared to the competition. It was reported that Intel has secured the majority of TSMC's 3nm process node capacity for next year and is said to be using the technology to create three new CPUs and a GPU. If true, The new CEO is not delivering on his promise to build a chip smaller than 10 nanometers. Intel simply outsourced to buy time until the shareholders lose confidence in the new CEO.
Last edited by Wiggums on Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I started with nothing and I still have most of it left."
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

Wiggums wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:54 pm
Intel chips are power hungry and quite large when compared to the competition. If was reported that Intel has secured the majority of TSMC's 3nm process node capacity for next year and is said to be using the technology to create three new CPUs and a GPU.
Really? Intel is abandoning their own FAB in favor of TSMC?! That's gotta hurt for the egos of intel engineers. I still remember being a vendor of INTC once upon a time when they get to call the shots on everything. How the mighty have fallen... Another reason why buy/hold of individual stocks is a bad thing. Thanks for the rumor tips :beer
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

jarjarM wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:57 pm
Wiggums wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:54 pm
Intel chips are power hungry and quite large when compared to the competition. If was reported that Intel has secured the majority of TSMC's 3nm process node capacity for next year and is said to be using the technology to create three new CPUs and a GPU.
Really? Intel is abandoning their own FAB in favor of TSMC?! That's gotta hurt for the egos of intel engineers. I still remember being a vendor of INTC once upon a time when they get to call the shots on everything. How the mighty have fallen... Another reason why buy/hold of individual stocks is a bad thing. Thanks for the rumor tips :beer
Best case, if true, it will give Intel time to build the new foundry. Intel is way behind and it does make me wonder what the issue is. The exited the cellular modem business and it appears that they need help with the manufacturing process to build smaller chips.

https://www.techspot.com/amp/news/90780 ... ction.html
Last edited by Wiggums on Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I started with nothing and I still have most of it left."
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

Investnewbie01

Post by Investnewbie01 »

Agree that 5% is good for individual stocks. I have already posted why you should. Been in for 3 years wish I had started earlier. My jewel is Shopify which I bought heavy at $80. It is still a buy at $1500! Biggest loss is Boeing, second biggest position , down 30%, but not worried will come back. To start, go with cult companies, like Nike, Apple, Tesla and my recent acquisition is Dutch Bros that has huge potential. Also Waste Management and Trade Desk.
Speculative is in vehicles, so have positions in Plug, Lucid and Canoo. Way back bought Plug at $2 sold for a small profit, as it hadn’t done anything then bought again at $20, lesson learnt hold position! Also bought Aston Martin which was a penny stock, warned very risky but now up 35% Aim to keep for at least 5 years and always reinvest dividends
It is fun and be in it for the long term
viewtopic.php?p=6139564#p6139564
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround »

Two of my holdings I continue to strongly believe in and would buy more
- Nvidia. Up 440% since I bought it June 2018. (IMHO still has a huge upside outlook to be realized across its video, cloud gaming, data center and Artificial Intelligence markets for its chips for years to come)
- Home Depot. First bought some in 1991. Would be willing to buy even after reaching it's recent high. HD continues to show solid management and innovation in moving into a hybrid of brick and mortar and online sales.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Bought Moderna, sold for a nice profit after reading about the vaccine being the only product and recommending Novavax which has a more diversified product line. It immediately went down 20+%, eliminating Moderna profits, providing an introduction to tax loss harvesting. Since owned stocks are only for diversion and all-told are up 16% this year, it provided a chuckle that would have been tear-filled if individual stocks comprised a major part of our assets.

Tim
sjl333

Post by sjl333 »

TSLA , holding 1110 shares, adding more every paycheck

I also plan to add some NVDIA / AMD sometime into my mix, but right now im 100% all in on tesla.
Investnewbie01

Post by Investnewbie01 »

Wanted to buy Tesla at $400 only pulled back to $413 so missed the boat, would suggest looking elsewhere as many others are gaining, Ford a good option perhaps
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

sjl333 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:44 am TSLA , holding 1110 shares, adding more every paycheck

I also plan to add some NVDIA / AMD sometime into my mix, but right now im 100% all in on tesla.
I don't understand Tesla. It has a nearly trillion dollar market cap.
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

bought 50K of BABA at $151 two weeks ago.
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

CMCSA only because of 15% discount per share. Rest on index funds.
selters

Post by selters »

I don't memorize ticker symbols (especially not of single stocks), so I have no idea what you are talking about.
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

Nowizard wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:00 am Bought Moderna, sold for a nice profit after reading about the vaccine being the only product and recommending Novavax which has a more diversified product line. It immediately went down 20+%, eliminating Moderna profits, providing an introduction to tax loss harvesting. Since owned stocks are only for diversion and all-told are up 16% this year, it provided a chuckle that would have been tear-filled if individual stocks comprised a major part of our assets.

Tim
NVAX has been full of promise on the merits of their vaccines but giving it back with production issues. Tough luck, but too risky now for me. Plus they lost a lot of ground to PFE and MRNA being so late to trying to get approved.
namajones

Post by namajones »

Buying individual stocks is a great educational tool. It will teach you why you shouldn't buy individual stocks.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

namajones wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:05 am Buying individual stocks is a great educational tool. It will teach you why you shouldn't buy individual stocks.
Indeed. I found Bogleheads (which totally changed my life) after 15 years of stock picking. I'm an over-educated and intellectually-engaged person so it took me extra long to realize I didn't know anything more than the market. :oops:
Activesloth

Post by Activesloth »

During the start of the pandemic, I thought I was a genius when I bought Tesla at $250 and sold it at $350 within a day. Then the stock price soared above a thousand dollars, and I realized I didn’t have the stomach (or the brain) for individual stocks. The only individual stock I hold now is Berkshire Hathaway which is pretty much like a mutual fund except you pay no expenses and your fund manager happens to be Warren Buffett. Also it does buybacks instead of dividends, so there is never any tax due unless you sell. Brkb is 15% of my portfolio. It has paid off so far.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Activesloth wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:40 am The only individual stock I hold now is Berkshire Hathaway which is pretty much like a mutual fund except you pay no expenses and your fund manager happens to be Warren Buffett. Also it does buybacks instead of dividends, so there is never any tax due unless you sell. Brkb is 15% of my portfolio. It has paid off so far.
+1. Not to mention the fact that Berkshire's PE ratio is very attractive compared to the rest of the S&P.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

namajones wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:05 am Buying individual stocks is a great educational tool. It will teach you why you shouldn't buy individual stocks.
Only if they're somewhat smart. I've met plenty of people who are trailing the index but keep going with stock picking. They didn't learn anything.
danaht

Post by danaht »

I definitely added a few shares of INTC.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

If the OP had equally weighted the three stocks provided, from March of 2020 through September of 2021, the annualized return would have been 6.58%. Compare that to VTSAX's return of 30.18%.

:shock:
The Sensible Steward
namajones

Post by namajones »

Marseille07 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:45 am
Only if they're somewhat smart. I've met plenty of people who are trailing the index but keep going with stock picking. They didn't learn anything.
And then there's always the story of "Tom at work" (true story), who purchased some shares of Amazon way back when and now uses the proceeds to buy whatever the heck he wants. These stories keep people going.

And there's also Forrest Gump with his investment in the "fruit company."
Last edited by namajones on Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

"Life is an effective but cruel teacher, for it gives the test first and the lesson afterward."
- Unknown
The Sensible Steward
namajones

Post by namajones »

willthrill81 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:26 am
"Life is an effective but cruel teacher, for it gives the test first and the lesson afterward."
- Unknown
and the bill can easily dwarf a few kids' college educations.
AK59

Post by AK59 »

DFCO
NVDA
APA
MRNA

I have less than 3% of my portfolio invested in these, but the holdings have grown to be over a larger percentage.

I put a small amount in when I have extra money that I don't want to save/spend in other areas. It's to serve as bonus money to gain over time if I play it right, if I lose it, well I lost it and it will not effect my ability to feed or cloth myself. I am not trying to get rich just to pay for some frivolous activities with it.

It's a risk I am willing to take and serves a different function than my retirement accounts.
Old VT Guy

Post by Old VT Guy »

Outer Marker wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:29 am
Activesloth wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:40 am The only individual stock I hold now is Berkshire Hathaway which is pretty much like a mutual fund except you pay no expenses and your fund manager happens to be Warren Buffett. Also it does buybacks instead of dividends, so there is never any tax due unless you sell. Brkb is 15% of my portfolio. It has paid off so far.
+1. Not to mention the fact that Berkshire's PE ratio is very attractive compared to the rest of the S&P.
Berkshire is also my largest holding (10%). Its the only company I feel OK with this level of exposure. I can see myself going to 15 or even 20% on any weakness.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (general discussion).

Old VT Guy, Welcome!
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
secondopinion

Post by secondopinion »

Or learn what is positive skew risk. Most will fail but a few will succeed. I have learned about that skew and rejection of individual stocks did not happen. If they were so bad, then why are we buying the composite?
Passive investing: not about making big bucks but making profits. Active investing: not about beating the market but meeting goals. Speculation: not about timing the market but taking profitable risks.
secondopinion

Post by secondopinion »

namajones wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:27 am
willthrill81 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:26 am
- Unknown
and the bill can easily dwarf a few kids' college educations.
Irresponsible investing in only a few individual stocks (without a proper baseline) causes this. Otherwise, the person who lost this would have enough money to retire already and pay for their kids college education even after the loss.
Passive investing: not about making big bucks but making profits. Active investing: not about beating the market but meeting goals. Speculation: not about timing the market but taking profitable risks.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

Frugalbear wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:42 am Good morning everyone!

If you are throwing your money at any individual stocks currently, what are they?

I'm really developing a strong position in:

AAL
GE
PPL
I dont throw money. I dont know what a strong position is.
Pale Blue Dot
Gundy

Post by Gundy »

Today I bought 1,000 shares of The Mosaic Company (MOS).
"I look at a hundred deals a day. I pick one." -Gordon Gekko