What Individual stocks are you buying?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Btreatcpa

Re: What Individual stocks are you buying?

Post by Btreatcpa »

Royal Caribbean RCL
Gilead GILD

And funding the retirement account twice a month with VFIAX
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Bought stakes in 5 of the Top 20 S&P 500 stocks plus Target and Starbucks to give my portfolio a bit of a quality tilt.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Have any of the people here who buy single stocks actually read a single page of the company's financial statements?
xraygoggles

Post by xraygoggles »

Bought JETS, TSLA, AAPL last week in taxable.

100% VTI in retirement accounts monthly.

Young investor, so looking for growth.
Simplicity is the key to brilliance - Vti & chill.
rasta

Post by rasta »

Caduceus wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:40 pm Have any of the people here who buy single stocks actually read a single page of the company's financial statements?
absolutely. it's called fundamental investing
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

Caduceus wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:40 pm Have any of the people here who buy single stocks actually read a single page of the company's financial statements?
Can't speak for all - but, I've slogged through a few consolidated financial statements. It sounds like you don't think folks would do that?

In fairness to your question, skimming through 2019 annual reports and consolidated financial statements is not what drove me to buy the stocks that I did purchase. I liked the management and company position within their markets. Sure, with coronavirus, there are a lot of unknowns...
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

xraygoggles wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:14 pm Bought JETS, TSLA, AAPL last week in taxable.

100% VTI in retirement accounts monthly.

Young investor, so looking for growth.
Yes, I added Apple too. :beer
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Rosencrantz1 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:49 pm
Can't speak for all - but, I've slogged through a few consolidated financial statements. It sounds like you don't think folks would do that?

In fairness to your question, skimming through 2019 annual reports and consolidated financial statements is not what drove me to buy the stocks that I did purchase. I liked the management and company position within their markets. Sure, with coronavirus, there are a lot of unknowns...
+1. I am also forward looking. The most recent “financials” are essentially very old news in a different era. The management, philosophy, outlook in the current and upcoming market conditions are more relevant than the past financials which will not have any bearing on the upcoming quarters and midterm outlook. The manner in which the current management navigate these waters better or more efficiently than competitors (if any) will have greater affect on thE long term outlook.

Listening to their upcoming conference calls will also be helpful as additional data points.

Can I do this for all 500 S&P companies, absolutely not nor do I need to when buying the index. However for the 5-10 individual stocks that I have, this is interesting and fun. I spend more time doing this than “studying” my favorite sports teams, I don’t play fantasy football. When doing this I try to share 1 tidbit to my daughter and wife in hopes that it would be interesting to them. So far not too successful except for Disney for my 9 year old (owned it since she was born and this has been for her account).
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:07 pm Bought stakes in 5 of the Top 20 S&P 500 stocks plus Target and Starbucks to give my portfolio a bit of a quality tilt.
Well, Starbucks may not be under much threat in China with Luckin.
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

Xrayman69 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:02 pm
Rosencrantz1 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:49 pm

+1. I am also forward looking. The most recent “financials” are essentially very old news in a different era. The management, philosophy, outlook in the current and upcoming market conditions are more relevant than the past financials which will not have any bearing on the upcoming quarters and midterm outlook. The manner in which the current management navigate these waters better or more efficiently than competitors (if any) will have greater affect on thE long term outlook.

Listening to their upcoming conference calls will also be helpful as additional data points.

Can I do this for all 500 S&P companies, absolutely not nor do I need to when buying the index. However for the 5-10 individual stocks that I have, this is interesting and fun. I spend more time doing this than “studying” my favorite sports teams, I don’t play fantasy football. When doing this I try to share 1 tidbit to my daughter and wife in hopes that it would be interesting to them. So far not too successful except for Disney for my 9 year old (owned it since she was born and this has been for her account).
Yep. This is me. DW has 0 interest - except to know the account balances (and this is okay with me!) :beer

Best of luck to you.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

rasta wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:46 pm
absolutely. it's called fundamental investing
+1.....agreed.
bltn

Post by bltn »

Dottie57 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:57 pm
TheOscarGuy wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:41 am
Frugalbear wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:42 am Good morning everyone!

If you are throwing your money at any individual stocks currently, what are they?

I'm really developing a strong position in:

AAL
GE
PPL
No naked stocks. Only through index funds. I don't necessarily decide what I buy inside an index :happy
I don't understand the point behind this exercise. Is this your play money that you want to take a chance, just to scratch an itch.?
Index funds for. Me too. OP are you sure you are in the right investing forum?
I was wondering this as I began to read this thread right after it started. Now I come back to it and I m amazed at all the respondents with a portfolio of individual stocks.
As I think about it, I m reminded of my past history, when , for about 10 years after I became an indexer, I still maintained a group of individual stocks comprising about 7-8% of my total portfolio . I ve sold them all but two, despite the pain of the capital gains taxes. And one, WMT, now makes up about 5% of my total portfolio. But with 80% of the holding value as capital gains, and with the strength of the company, I ll hold it until I start to sell stocks in retirement.
I almost forgot. About 3 years ago I bought 20,000 of BRK-b so that I could attend an annual Berkshire Hathaway stockholders meeting with my daughter. Current value is about 19,000.
jeep5ter

Post by jeep5ter »

Bought more LMT when it got down to just over $300. Also CAT at $99
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

I’ve read the K’s and Q’s cover to cover, read the 8-Ks too! Look at competitors too. Watch recent/current management presentations. Then I wait for a good entry point. Index funds are much easier though, I purchase based on objective-no financial statement analysis required.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:09 pm
I’ve read the K’s and Q’s cover to cover, read the 8-Ks too! Look at competitors too. Watch recent/current management presentations. Then I wait for a good entry point. Index funds are much easier though, I purchase based on objective-no financial statement analysis required.
+1. I suspect some of these answers were not quite what Caduceus thought might be happening. I actually enjoy reading analysis (and the occasional financial report) about a specific company I may be interested in. I'm retired. It gives me something to do. :beer

Disclosure: without doubt, the largest part of my equity holdings are in VOO/VTI and I've been buying more of them with the market fall.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Rosencrantz1 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:25 pm
+1. I suspect some of these answers were not quite what Caduceus thought might be happening. I actually enjoy reading analysis (and the occasional financial report) about a specific company I may be interested in. I'm retired. It gives me something to do. :beer

Disclosure: without doubt, the largest part of my equity holdings are in VOO/VTI and I've been buying more of them with the market fall.
Well, then I look forward to more specific investment theses based on actual financial statement data and analysis. So far, the discussion has been remarkably fact-free.

No one is saying: "Walmart is a great buy because: ...."

Has there been a single statement in this thread that draws upon financial statement analysis of any stock?
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Caduceus wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:38 am

Well, then I look forward to more specific investment theses based on actual financial statement data and analysis. So far, the discussion has been remarkably fact-free.

Has there been a single statement in this thread that draws upon financial statement analysis of any stock?
As opposed to reading the financial statements of all the stocks contained in an index fund? You seem to want to make a statement about investing, so what is it?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:35 pm
BuyandHold37 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:32 pm American Airlines is garbage. Watch the video I posted above and Warren explains why you don't need more than 1 business in a sector if you invest in the best (Delta).
Berkshire owns 10% of American Airlines, 11.2% of Delta, 10.4% of Southwest Airlines and 8.8% of United Airlines. Holdings are as of December 31, 2019 as reported in Berkshire Hathaway’s 13F filing on February 14, 2020, except for Delta Air Lines, which is as of February 27, 2020.
https://www.cnbc.com/berkshire-hathaway-portfolio/
Oops.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:08 am
As opposed to reading the financial statements of all the stocks contained in an index fund? You seem to want to make a statement about investing, so what is it?
That's a nonsensical statement, and here's why. When you buy index funds, you're being agnostic about your ability to pick stocks, so there's no need to read any financial statements. When you pick individual stocks, you believe there's something superior about the stock relative to some other benchmark investment you can make, so you have to be able to study the financial statements.

I thought it was obvious. But since it seemed it wasn't for you, I've made it obvious for you. There.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Caduceus wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:33 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:08 am
That's a nonsensical statement, and here's why. When you buy index funds, you're being agnostic about your ability to pick stocks, so there's no need to read any financial statements. When you pick individual stocks, you believe there's something superior about the stock relative to some other benchmark investment you can make, so you have to be able to study the financial statements.

I thought it was obvious. But since it seemed it wasn't for you, I've made it obvious for you. There.
Glad I could point it out. So if I buy a cap weighted index like the S&P 500 I am not deciding that Microsoft is a better company that Intel because I am deciding to buy 5x of Microsoft what I am of Intel? Seems like someone has decided Microsoft is surperior to Intel. So by your logic Market cap is the arbiter of what we should buy since it is the arbiter for an index fund. So carrying that logic further, since Microsoft, Apple and Amazon are the top 3 stocks in the S&P 500 and make up approximately 14% of the S&P 500 I should buy a portfolio of just those 3 stocks because that is what the index is telling me is the best and what I buy the most of if I buy an S&P 500 index fund? Of course, that is total obvious.
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

Caduceus wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:38 am

FYI - Bogleheads is an investment site that generally eschews buying individual stocks. As such, I imagine there's some hesitancy to say "Hey, XXX stock is a great buy because...". And, as someone has already mentioned, relying on past financial statement, in and of themselves, is a bit tough in the current environment - the "E" has evaporated.

But, since you asked - I bought 400 shares of MGM - most of it at a little over $7/share.

I bought it for several reasons:
Bill Hornbuckle has been named interim CEO and has 4 decades of gaming experience - and happens to be a graduate of UNLV (my alma mater).
MGM, by most analysts, is burning a little over 14M/day and has enough liquidity to do so for a minimum of 9 months.
MGM is a very big player on the Las Vegas strip and my personal opinion is that the state of Nevada (IF it became necessary) might assist the company with some tax breaks (just my opinion - sort of like the giveaways to Elon Musk for has battery factory).
MGM is a good "corporate neighbor" - raising millions of dollars to help their employees and donating hundreds of thousands of meals in this time of crisis.

I think MGM is currently about $14+/share - so, my 400 shares, so far, has earned some 'lunch money'. At this level of individual stock buying, that's all it is - lunch money. As stated previously, the vast majority of my equity holdings are in VOO/VTI.

Personally, I think MGM will survive this pandemic and tourists will eventually return to the Las Vegas strip. If tourist do not return, the state of Nevada will be in a world of hurt (and my $3100 investment in MGM won't be even a drop).

I predict MGM will be in the mid 20s within the next year. BUT, I am NOT an accountant nor a financial advisor nor a financial analyst. YMMV.

edit to add: Oh, I forgot to add - there's also been quite a lot of MGM executive (insider buying) of their stock at these depressed prices too.
sp0704

Post by sp0704 »

I added Wells Fargo last month and so far MGM is the only one that is positive from my initial purchase price. I'll likely keep buying over the remainder of the year. The Strip seems to be reopening June 4. While I wouldn't go during the pandemic, I think business will be generated and the company will stay afloat and emerge successfully.
Rosencrantz1 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:08 pm
sp0704 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:31 am Air Canada and MGM
I bought some MGM. Not a LOT of it though - the company has a lot of debt. Still... I don't see it folding. I think MGM can weather months of down time - but, if it exceeded a year then ?? Of course, if Las Vegas were shut down for a year, the city (and state) would have LOTS of serious problems.

/0.02 cents
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

sp0704 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:26 am I added Wells Fargo last month and so far MGM is the only one that is positive from my initial purchase price. I'll likely keep buying over the remainder of the year. The Strip seems to be reopening June 4. While I wouldn't go during the pandemic, I think business will be generated and the company will stay afloat and emerge successfully.
I bought some MGM. Not a LOT of it though - the company has a lot of debt. Still... I don't see it folding. I think MGM can weather months of down time - but, if it exceeded a year then ?? Of course, if Las Vegas were shut down for a year, the city (and state) would have LOTS of serious problems.

/0.02 cents
Yes, I think it will too. I originally bought MGM at $7.25/share and continued buying up to about 12. What REALLY sold me on it was reading an article that described all the insider buying when it was in the $7ish price range. I think MGM has enough liquidity to weather nearly a year of closure while burning about $10M/day while closed (latest numbers I read). As you note, it looks like they're looking to partially reopen in early June. I'm holding onto my MGM - I honestly think it's headed higher. I suppose time will tell :beer
sp0704

Post by sp0704 »

Yep, management making big bets when the stock was lower was a good sign to me as well. I'm hoping to 2x to 3x on these selections over the next few years. They seem to be able to take hits and have the right leadership.
Rosencrantz1 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:44 pm
sp0704 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:26 am I added Wells Fargo last month and so far MGM is the only one that is positive from my initial purchase price. I'll likely keep buying over the remainder of the year. The Strip seems to be reopening June 4. While I wouldn't go during the pandemic, I think business will be generated and the company will stay afloat and emerge successfully.

/0.02 cents
Yes, I think it will too. I originally bought MGM at $7.25/share and continued buying up to about 12. What REALLY sold me on it was reading an article that described all the insider buying when it was in the $7ish price range. I think MGM has enough liquidity to weather nearly a year of closure while burning about $10M/day while closed (latest numbers I read). As you note, it looks like they're looking to partially reopen in early June. I'm holding onto my MGM - I honestly think it's headed higher. I suppose time will tell :beer
GoneOnTilt

Post by GoneOnTilt »

Keenobserver wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:21 pm BTW Wartten Buffet is buying trucks load of Delta...why not American Airlines
How did that work out?
reastman

Post by reastman »

I have a lot of individual stocks. I dont own anything else.
  • Follow a service that does the analysis for their members

Up 37.9% (in the various stock accounts) this year
    Up 52.12% in the large individual stock portfolio, for this year.

Just started in the stock market August 2019

8.34% of portfolio excluding real estate
Just added...
  • Docusign
    Pelatron
    Paypal
    Rocket
    More Wing Stop
    And a few more preferred(s)
Currently measuring a 3 fund portfolio via following Boglehead wiki 3 fund recommendations, against another services retirement recommendation, against a Vanguard 4-fund portfolio a financial advisor we worked with to wrap our arms around our total portfolio and what that looks like as we move into retirement this year. Financial Advisors portfolio is currently in the lead.

After gathering insight into each of these portfolios over the next wew months we will roll pension, 401k & employer savings plans into the "safer space" portfolio once we get a clear winner.

Individual stocks have really helped me learn a lot about evaluating. So glad we went that route.
shrdhrkrv74

Post by shrdhrkrv74 »

Frugalbear wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:42 am Good morning everyone!

If you are throwing your money at any individual stocks currently, what are they?

I'm really developing a strong position in:

AAL
GE
PPL
Have held MFAANG for a while. Started micro buying into them again since Schwab started their “slices”. Bought some Novavax and Inovio in March. Inovio reached 600% and Novavax reached almost 1200%. Could not breathe so sold both and bought more of MFAANG through Schwab slices.
Last edited by shrdhrkrv74 on Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

flaccidsteele wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:55 pm Berkshire Hathaway B
Bought this for $170 a week before the end of March. Haven’t bought any individual stocks since

I’ve had baby berks since the late 1990s
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
anoop

Post by anoop »

I sold my "forever" position in INTC last week, a position I started back in 2014/2015. The 7 nm botch was too much for me to digest.

I've started dabbling in AAPL and FB, but now I'm just short-term trading. I will trade from FANGMAN + BLK depending on my fancy. I plan to liquidate everything by the end of October.
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

If they had, would it help? The companies are so analysed that the information in the statements is priced in.

Single stocks is just feeding a need to gamble/speculate and will underperform in almost all cases.
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

anoop wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:22 am I sold my "forever" position in INTC last week, a position I started back in 2014/2015. The 7 nm botch was too much for me to digest.

I've started dabbling in AAPL and FB, but now I'm just short-term trading. I will trade from FANGMAN + BLK depending on my fancy. I plan to liquidate everything by the end of October.
Robin Hood forum would be a better place for you :)
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

bck63 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:33 pm
Keenobserver wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:21 pm BTW Wartten Buffet is buying trucks load of Delta...why not American Airlines
How did that work out?
I bought jetbkue AAL and Delta.. doing pretty good so far, but going to hold and hope to take more gains in near future.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

I bought more Ford..why? Just watch.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

Reading this makes me even more uneasy about the very near-term performance of the US equity markets. I was a financial advisor during the tech bubble and these sorts of threads make me itchy.
Being wrong compounds forever.
GoneOnTilt

Post by GoneOnTilt »

Keenobserver wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:37 am
How did that work out?
I bought jetbkue AAL and Delta.. doing pretty good so far, but going to hold and hope to take more gains in near future.
I really don't think air travel is going anywhere. And I can't imagine a scenario where our society does not travel by air. This shall all pass. You're more courageous than me. I've been very tempted to break my no single stock rule and buy Southwest.

I wonder why Warren didn't just buy more airline stock.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

bck63 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:52 am
Keenobserver wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:37 am
How did that work out?
I really don't think air travel is going anywhere. And I can't imagine a scenario where our society does not travel by air. This shall all pass. You're more courageous than me. I've been very tempted to break my no single stock rule and buy Southwest.

I wonder why Warren didn't just buy more airline stock.
I bought with the presumption you mentioned. World is a global village now, and people will continue to fly. For many, it is not a luxury, but a necessity. I think there is time still to buy airline stocks and hold. You can wait for some minor serback on thr vaccines which will drop airline prices and purchase then to hold for at least to next summer.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

My individual stock mix is currently:

L3 Harris Technologies
Lockheed Martin
Barrick Gold
Disney
Google
Microsoft
Amazon

In all honesty, I had a Jim Cramer phase, and these are the remnants.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I bought AMZN back in March as I was buying everything from them when this pandemic thing started. It's currently my only individual stock.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:44 amReading this makes me even more uneasy about the very near-term performance of the US equity markets. I was a financial advisor during the tech bubble and these sorts of threads make me itchy.
Why?

Just because people bought individual stocks on the dip? How about buying more Total Stock Market on the dip? It's up 50% since March 23rd...

For those that had new capital to deploy via their weekly/monthly contributions, or perhaps had been sitting on some cash for whatever length of time waiting for better entry points - there was nothing wrong with buying additional shares of EFT's, mutual funds, stocks, etc... during the dip for the long term investor. Our kids had Roth IRA money ready to invest, we had some cash from a commercial real estate sale that finally closed in February and proceeds arrived in March - so it seemed like a rather fruitful risk/reward scenario at the end of March and early April to deploy for the longer term. Those kind of anxiety laden, gut check moments don't come along too often and usually prove to be solid entry points.

Regarding individual stocks, it's a rough game for the long haul unless you own many, many stocks in a well diversified portfolio that cover a lot of factors, sectors and global markets to the tune of your own DIY Index Fund that is passively managed. The Boglehead Wiki covers it quite well...

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Passive ... 20incurred.

A good read here...

https://humbledollar.com/2020/08/getting-emotional/

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
SquirrelEater

Post by SquirrelEater »

ENLC.
Should of bought it when it was a $1.88. I didn’t. Just had to have it at $1.85 because I wanted to feel like I was getting good price. Now $2.00 is a good price. But who woulda thought a V recovery? Now I recently paid $3.05 on Friday. Oil is the one area where stock prices have not recovered well.
Sure wish I got in on it while it was under a $1.00 with this latest dip. Would of been phenomenal. I intend to buy and hold. Hold till it hits a specific price point. Then watch in envy the bubble chasers drive it higher and higher. Lol

Yes. And any executive interviews did on YouTube. Every investor conference call transcript aswell. I have ceased holding a company because of what I read/heard.
Easy to do with being majority fskax index investing.
Agon

Post by Agon »

Nantkwest (NK). It is the company who put Senator Harry Reid into cancer remission and is currently working with Alex Trebek to do the same. Keep your fingers crossed!! They also have a covid vaccine. Total speculation. Lottery ticket.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

I was going to bump this thread myself. Is anyone SELLING what you bought now? I’m considering dumping MGM and RCL. Taking the money and running. On one hand I’ll get hit with short term cap gains. On the other hand, I turned a pretty nice profit and don’t want to get too greedy :greedy
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

CyclingDuo wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:11 am
Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:44 amReading this makes me even more uneasy about the very near-term performance of the US equity markets. I was a financial advisor during the tech bubble and these sorts of threads make me itchy.
Why?

Just because people bought individual stocks on the dip? How about buying more Total Stock Market on the dip? It's up 50% since March 23rd...

For those that had new capital to deploy via their weekly/monthly contributions, or perhaps had been sitting on some cash for whatever length of time waiting for better entry points - there was nothing wrong with buying additional shares of EFT's, mutual funds, stocks, etc... during the dip for the long term investor. Our kids had Roth IRA money ready to invest, we had some cash from a commercial real estate sale that finally closed in February and proceeds arrived in March - so it seemed like a rather fruitful risk/reward scenario at the end of March and early April to deploy for the longer term. Those kind of anxiety laden, gut check moments don't come along too often and usually prove to be solid entry points.

Regarding individual stocks, it's a rough game for the long haul unless you own many, many stocks in a well diversified portfolio that cover a lot of factors, sectors and global markets to the tune of your own DIY Index Fund that is passively managed. The Boglehead Wiki covers it quite well...

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Passive ... 20incurred.

A good read here...

https://humbledollar.com/2020/08/getting-emotional/

CyclingDuo
Sometimes you get itchy without knowing exactly why.
Being wrong compounds forever.
Toons

Post by Toons »

KO

:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

In the last month or so I bought some L3Harris Tech (LHX) and PPG.
Walkure

Post by Walkure »

anoop wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:22 am I sold my "forever" position in INTC last week, a position I started back in 2014/2015. The 7 nm botch was too much for me to digest.

INTC got off easy. My sole individual stock, NOK, got burned by the "7 nm botch" as a Custom Foundry client. It is only just now regaining a footing; thanks in no small part to a certain nation-state-sponsored dismantling of their prime competitor which is beyond the purview of this board to discuss further. I've done okay selling covered calls though while it trades sideways.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Walkure wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:56 pm

INTC got off easy. My sole individual stock, NOK, got burned by the "7 nm botch" as a Custom Foundry client. It is only just now regaining a footing; thanks in no small part to a certain nation-state-sponsored dismantling of their prime competitor which is beyond the purview of this board to discuss further. I've done okay selling covered calls though while it trades sideways.
I went from being 100+% up on INTC to only about 55-60%. Decent return so no regrets there.
anoop

Post by anoop »

CyclingDuo wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:11 am
Why?

AAPL and NVDA are up more than 100%. In general FANGMAN has way out-performed TSM since the March lows.

Post by 000 »

Thinking about starting a position in Intel (INTC). Any thoughts?

anoop

Post by anoop »

000 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:37 pm Thinking about starting a position in Intel (INTC). Any thoughts?
I really want to but I get turned turned off by their corny anti-Apple ads. The dividend is very attractive. I had position for several years which I exited when they screwed up on their manufacturing promises. They have a new CEO now. In tech, usually one big slip and there's no coming back (there are exceptions but very rare). With the kind of ads they are putting out, I'm not sure they have their act together.