Wash sale / disallowed loss simulator / calculator

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
livesoft

Wash sale / disallowed loss simulator / calculator

Post by livesoft »

I just thought that it would be very nice if there was a spreadsheet or calculator or app that could be used to calculate "What if?" scenarios for potential investment transactions with respect to wash sales, disallowed losses, and adjustment of basis.

Clearly, brokerages have to be doing these calculations because it is required by law, so they should also provide the tool on their web sites for their clients.

Also, a package like Quicken or MS Money could do the same thing.

For example, one could put in their known transactions and a future transaction with estimated share price and date and ask the questions: Would this be a wash sale? If so, what is the value of the disallowed loss and which shares get the increase in basis?

Or series of transaction could be input and wash sales flagged and adjustments shown.

But with an independent tool, one could check what their brokerage was telling them, too.

If it was a spreadsheet function, then it could be sort of like the XIRR() function.

Does such a thing already exist? I searched and didn't get anywhere, so I am using googleheads.org now. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
kunaguvarun

Re: Wash sale / disallowed loss simulator / calculator

Post by kunaguvarun »

Its 2021 and I am surprised there are no known tools or people who knows existence of such tools.