Help with portfolio for new investor, thanks in advance!

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
huskerdoc2035

Help with portfolio for new investor, thanks in advance!

Post by huskerdoc2035 »

Longtime lurker and now new to posting. I have spent a lot of time on here and whitecoatinvestor learning lots of concepts but now it’s time to try to put this all into practice and hoping from some help from anyone will to be kind enough to read this novel and put forth their suggestions. I tried to fill this out the best I can using the template. Overall I am a pretty blank slate with things.

Emergency funds: 16k in a Discover high yield savings at 0.8% interest
Debt: 11K on 1 car at 1.9% (roughly $450 per month for 2 more years), 134k in student loans (refinanced to a 15 year variable rate which is currently at 2.74% and has a cap of 9%)
Tax Filing Status: Married Filing Jointly
Tax Rate: 28% Federal this year (hope I can deduct enough from moving/retirement to get down to 25% bracket) next year federal would be 33%, 6% State
State of Residence: Missouri
Desired Asset allocation: 85% stocks / 15% bonds -???? Open to suggestions, looking to be more aggressive at this early point in my career.
Desired International allocation: 10-20% of stocks???? Again, open to suggestions

Current total portfolio: about 16k split between my traditional IRA, my roth IRA and her roth IRA

Some general information about our situation. I took my first job as a physician starting this September with an annual salary close to 300k in which 225k is employed salary and 75k is independent contractor (medical director pay). The first 6 months of this year I was in training and made about 27k. She worked as a teacher making about 20k so far this year and is not currently working as she was not able to get a teaching job. She will likely do some substitute teaching but do not anticipate her making more than a few thousand this year. So our taxes this year will be a bit complicated but hopefully more straightforward next year. Anticipate our taxable income for this year combined in the 160-170k range. We are currently renting a house with rent/utilities at about $1500/month. Total out of pocket for month outside of fun/food/gas is roughly 3k (1500 rent/utilities, 1000 school loans, 500 car payment). Our current goals are trying to maximize tax breaks with retirement and save up money for a down payment for a house or to possibly use that money to pay off my student loan if that variable rate starts to go up. I suspect though if student loan rate goes up then mortgages will also but trying to hit a down payment and chunk for student loans before rates start to go way up.

Current retirement assets

Taxable
None currently

His 401k
None currently invested, just started my first permanent job
Company matches 100% for first 3% of salary and 50% of the next 4% of salary (IE I put in 7% of salary and they put in 5% of my salary, medical director portion does not count since it is an independent contractor)

His Roth IRA at TDAmeritrade
$3,500 in wide range of their free ETFs (it’s a mess quite honestly and need to get into just a few funds)
Here is a link to the commission free ETFs on Ameritrade
https://www.tdameritrade.com/investment ... /etfs.page

His traditional IRA at TDAmeritrade
$7,500 in wide range of their free ETFs (it’s a mess quite honestly and need to get into just a few funds)

Her Roth IRA at Ameritrade
$5,500 currently in cash

Current total = roughly $16,500

Contributions

New annual Contributions
$20k approx in his solo 401k as employer contribution (I still need to set up a solo 401k)
$30k approx in his 403b (I put in 7% and they put in 5%)
$5500 his Roth IRA (backdoor starting next year)
$5500 her Roth IRA (backdoor starting next year)
457b – still deciding if I should use it, see below for fund options which are same as my 403b
-whatever is left after maxing out other more tax efficient accounts = taxable

Available funds

Funds available in his 403(b)
Guaranteed interest fund fixed 0.89
PIMCO Mortgage-Backed Securities Instl PTRIX bond 0.50
Janus Flexible Bond Fund T JAFIX bond 0.70
American Funds American Balanced R6 RLBGX Balanced 0.29
Vanguard 500 Index Signal VIFSX Large Cap 0.05
BlackRock Equity Divident Instl MADVX Large Cap 0.74
American Century Growth Instl TWGIX Large Cap 0.77
JPMorgan Mid Cap Value Instl FLMVX Mid Cap 0.99
Great-West T Rowe Price MidCap Gr Fund I MXMGX Mid Cap 1.03
Victory Small Company Opportunity VSOIX Small Cap 0.99
Baron Small Cap Instl BSFIX Small Cap 1.05
Fidelity Advisor Real Estate FHEIX Specialty 0.90
Lazard Emerging Markets Equity Instl LZEMX International 1.09
American Funds EuroPacific Gr R6 RERGX International 0.49

These would also be the funds available in a 457b if I use it. I have provided the Gross Investment Expenses but it also talks about some other management fees, I would hope they are all included in the gross investment expenses? The other annualized amounts I am seeing are ranging from .034%-.185% but doesn’t explain exactly what for and says fee is for administrative costs associated with this plan and is deducted from account balance. This fee may not apply to all investments offered under your plan, please see your plan administrator for additional information. I will try to contact my plan administrator but if anyone has similar wording or this is standard and makes sense please let me know.

Funds available in her 403(b)
None, not currently working

Questions:
1. What is the best overall distribution of our money? (IE 403b at 7% of salary to get maximum match, then if any of 17.5k left put it in as employee through solo 401k, then max out employer contribution to solo 401k, then backdoor Roth, then 457b? or taxable?)
2. Which funds should I invest in in the different accounts to optimize expense ratios and keep good diversification?
3. How would I go about rebalancing this in the easiest way possible and how often?
4. Am I fine just doing a solo 401k as an independent contractor or are there particular reasons I should look into setting up an LLC/S-corp? Can I just send in a check for the “employer contribution” or do I have to set up some special account to have that money come from?
5. At this point, which solo 401k firm do you think is best for my situation? I do like the idea of the Merrill Edge where you get the good credit card with the 75% bonus for platinum (when you hit 50k assets) that a few people on here have talked about but have also heard a lot of people with Fidelity and my current accounts are with TDAmeritrade which has 100 commission free ETFs.
6. Do you think it is safe to invest into the 457b plan as it is not a government protected one and hospitals are much more likely to go bankrupt or get sued?
7. Is it a good idea to convert the traditional IRA to a roth IRA this year since we may potentially be in a lower tax bracket compared to future years, hopefully 25% this year? (also looking forward to doing a backdoor roth next year)
8. If she is a substitute teacher, does anyone know if this is an independent contractor and she could potentially do her own solo 401k with this? If this is the case it may be better for her to sub than to get a fulltime job since we could put almost all of her money into a solo 401k then tax deferred, but I guess this depends on what salary she could get and what benefits they have. Plus subbing gives her more flexibility with time off.

Thanks in advance
Nick
Last edited by huskerdoc2035 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ruralavalon

Re: New investor advice, thanks in advance!

Post by ruralavalon »

Welcome to the forum :) .

I can't address all of your issues, but will address some just to give your post a bump so it doesn't get lost.

huskerdoc2035 wrote:Age:30
Desired Asset allocation: 85% stocks / 15% bonds -???? Open to suggestions, looking to be more aggressive at this early point in my career.
Desired International allocation: 10-20% of stocks???? Again, open to suggestions
I would suggest about 20% in bonds to reduce volatility, please see: wiki, on risk. That would be fairly typical for age 30: 2011 regression.

In my opinion 20% of stocks in international is a reasonable minimum, please see: Vanguard, "Considerations for investing in non-U.S. equities". Historically international investing gave at most "a net reduction in volatility of 75 basis points. Allocating 20% of an equity portfolio to non-U.S. stocks would have captured 63 of those 75 basis points, or about 84% of the maximum possible benefit. Allocating 30% to non-U.S. stocks would have captured about 99% of the maximum possible benefit." (Id., p. 6)

In your 403b "Vanguard 500 Index Signal VIFSX Large Cap 0.05" is by far the best fund choice, slate that for all or most of your contributions.

I would suggest transferring his traditional IRA, his roth IRA and her roth IRA from TDAmeritrade to Vanguard, for easy access to Vanguard's very large selection of low expense mutual funds, or to Fidelity to use their low expense Spartan index funds.

huskerdoc2035 wrote: 5. At this point, which solo 401k firm do you think is best for my situation? I do like the idea of the Merrill Edge where you get the good credit card with the 75% bonus for platinum (when you hit 50k assets) that a few people on here have talked about but have also heard a lot of people with Fidelity and my current accounts are with TDAmeritrade which has 100 commission free ETFs.
Here is a forum discussion on firms to use for a solo 401k: "Who holds your Solo 401k?". Fidelity appears to be a favorite, but I have no personal experience with them or with solo 401ks.

See also:The White Coat Investor, "Where To Open Your Solo 401K".

huskerdoc2035 wrote:6. Do you think it is safe to invest into the 457b plan as it is not a government protected one and hospitals are much more likely to go bankrupt or get sued?
i don't think I would use a non-governmental 457b, but i have no personal experience with 457bs.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
Topic Author
huskerdoc2035

Post by huskerdoc2035 »

Thanks for the response ruralavalon! I'll read through those links. I was a little disappointed with the options in my retirement plan.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

huskerdoc2035 wrote:Thanks for the response ruralavalon! I'll read through those links. I was a little disappointed with the options in my retirement plan.
Don't be too disappointed, all you really need in your 403b is one good fund. You have one excellent very low expense index fund in the 403b, which covers domestic large company stocks. You can use your IRAs and solo 401k for everything else you need or want: bonds; international stocks; domestic small company stocks; REITs; etc.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
Topic Author
huskerdoc2035

Post by huskerdoc2035 »

Thanks again ruralavalon. That makes sense, this is just such a random year with all of the changes in my life so hopefully with a more set income next year I can get a better grasp of things and get things distributed appropriately. Do you think I would get more responses on this if I titled it "portfolio review" or it wasn't so long?
JDDS

Post by JDDS »

Sounds like you're doing well.
huskerdoc2035 wrote:Questions:
1. What is the best overall distribution of our money? (IE 403b at 7% of salary to get maximum match, then if any of 17.5k left put it in as employee through solo 401k, then max out employer contribution to solo 401k, then backdoor Roth, then 457b? or taxable?)
Sounds good.
huskerdoc2035 wrote: 2. Which funds should I invest in in the different accounts to optimize expense ratios and keep good diversification?
The Vanguard S&P 500 fund in the employer plan should be the only fund in that account. Fingers crossed that the gross expense ratio covers all fees, but even if it doesn't, you want to put the 7% to get the 5% match. You can then put international in bonds in the Roth and taxable accounts. It's probably fine to go with bonds in IRA, international in taxable, or muni bonds in taxable and international stocks in IRA. Depending on your asset allocation and how the money balances between accounts, you may end up with both bonds and international in taxable.
huskerdoc2035 wrote: 3. How would I go about rebalancing this in the easiest way possible and how often?
It's likely that you can rebalance when you make new contributions to taxable.
huskerdoc2035 wrote: 4. Am I fine just doing a solo 401k as an independent contractor or are there particular reasons I should look into setting up an LLC/S-corp? Can I just send in a check for the “employer contribution” or do I have to set up some special account to have that money come from?
Which structure is best for your situation is probably impacted much more by other things than the solo 401(k). You can have a solo 401(k) as a sole proprietor without issue.
huskerdoc2035 wrote:
5. At this point, which solo 401k firm do you think is best for my situation? I do like the idea of the Merrill Edge where you get the good credit card with the 75% bonus for platinum (when you hit 50k assets) that a few people on here have talked about but have also heard a lot of people with Fidelity and my current accounts are with TDAmeritrade which has 100 commission free ETFs.
I don't know if ME offers a solo 401(k), but any of the normal places is fine. Check WCI for a comparison chart of the different features.

huskerdoc2035 wrote: 6. Do you think it is safe to invest into the 457b plan as it is not a government protected one and hospitals are much more likely to go bankrupt or get sued?
I don't have an opinion, but caution seems prudent.
huskerdoc2035 wrote: 7. Is it a good idea to convert the traditional IRA to a roth IRA this year since we may potentially be in a lower tax bracket compared to future years, hopefully 25% this year? (also looking forward to doing a backdoor roth next year)
Can you just roll this into either the employer plan or the solo 401(k)?
huskerdoc2035 wrote:
8. If she is a substitute teacher, does anyone know if this is an independent contractor and she could potentially do her own solo 401k with this? If this is the case it may be better for her to sub than to get a fulltime job since we could put almost all of her money into a solo 401k then tax deferred, but I guess this depends on what salary she could get and what benefits they have. Plus subbing gives her more flexibility with time off.

Substitute teaching is quite different from a regular teaching gig. I suspect that will play a larger role in determining what makes the most sense.
Topic Author
huskerdoc2035

Post by huskerdoc2035 »

[/quote]
I don't know if ME offers a solo 401(k), but any of the normal places is fine. Check WCI for a comparison chart of the different features.
Good call, I do remember seeing a chat on that site and will refer back to that.
huskerdoc2035 wrote: 7. Is it a good idea to convert the traditional IRA to a roth IRA this year since we may potentially be in a lower tax bracket compared to future years, hopefully 25% this year? (also looking forward to doing a backdoor roth next year)
Can you just roll this into either the employer plan or the solo 401(k)?
I'm not sure, I never knew if this would be an option but something I should look into. I guess I was thinking future backdoor Roth's would cost me in the 33% marginal bracket whereas I can get ahead with some Roth contribution (by conversion from traditional IRA to Roth IRA) this year while I'm still in a lower tax bracket (25%) and can afford to pay the taxes.

I really appreciate your responses, I just need to find which funds I should invest in to balance those other accounts with bonds, international, etc I still have a long ways to go with this but really enjoy learning it. Just hoping to get things started on the right foot so that I don't have a total mess in a few years. I hope the quoting worked okay above... Thanks again
JDDS

Post by JDDS »

huskerdoc2035 wrote: I really appreciate your responses, I just need to find which funds I should invest in to balance those other accounts with bonds, international, etc
No problem. Have you seen the 3 fund portfolio wiki page? It gives suggested funds at different providers:

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-fund_portfolio

I'm not sure why it doesn't list TDA but here's that wiki page with details: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/TD_Ameritrade

I considered TDA when setting up my solo 401(k). Eventually I decided I would stick with Vanguard. TDA does not offer VXUS commission free (Total International Stock); they do offer VEU + VSS which can easily substitute. I prefer mutual funds though. For me keeping everything at one place just seemed easier YMMV.

Edit to add: since you're in a high tax bracket, if you end up needing bonds in taxable, consider tax-exempt muni bond funds. I suspect though that you'll have enough room for bonds in the solo or the Roth.
Topic Author
huskerdoc2035

Post by huskerdoc2035 »

JDDS wrote:
huskerdoc2035 wrote: I really appreciate your responses, I just need to find which funds I should invest in to balance those other accounts with bonds, international, etc
No problem. Have you seen the 3 fund portfolio wiki page? It gives suggested funds at different providers:

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-fund_portfolio

I'm not sure why it doesn't list TDA but here's that wiki page with details: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/TD_Ameritrade

I considered TDA when setting up my solo 401(k). Eventually I decided I would stick with Vanguard. TDA does not offer VXUS commission free (Total International Stock); they do offer VEU + VSS which can easily substitute. I prefer mutual funds though. For me keeping everything at one place just seemed easier YMMV.

Edit to add: since you're in a high tax bracket, if you end up needing bonds in taxable, consider tax-exempt muni bond funds. I suspect though that you'll have enough room for bonds in the solo or the Roth.
Thanks for the links, I was trying to find a good place to review the 3 fund portfolio I have heard so much about. It seems like a good initial "safe" place for me to start while I continue to learn. I would definitely like to get everything into one place as well to simplify things for me.

I obviously need to dive deeper into the mutual funds vs ETFs but are there 1 or 2 major reasons why you prefer mutual funds to ETFs?

Appreciate your thoughts and responses
JDDS

Post by JDDS »

The wiki gives a good comparison. It suggests that a person needs to decide which of the factors they favor. I chose MFs due to the ease of purchasing, i.e. NAV at end of day, no bid-ask spread, fractional shares. Since I hold Vanguard MFs at Vanguard, there's nocommission. For any Vanguard MFs with an ETF class, I can ask Vanguard to convert my MF shares to ETF shares if I ever favor ETFs for some reason. http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/ETFs_vs_mutual_funds
Topic Author
huskerdoc2035

Post by huskerdoc2035 »

JDDS wrote:The wiki gives a good comparison. It suggests that a person needs to decide which of the factors they favor. I chose MFs due to the ease of purchasing, i.e. NAV at end of day, no bid-ask spread, fractional shares. Since I hold Vanguard MFs at Vanguard, there's nocommission. For any Vanguard MFs with an ETF class, I can ask Vanguard to convert my MF shares to ETF shares if I ever favor ETFs for some reason. http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/ETFs_vs_mutual_funds

Much appreciated, I'll read the wiki but that gives me a great basis. I had noticed issues with the ETFs and I had to trade them during the day and also like the idea of fractional shares. Thanks again!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

huskerdoc2035 wrote:5. At this point, which solo 401k firm do you think is best for my situation? I do like the idea of the Merrill Edge where you get the good credit card with the 75% bonus for platinum (when you hit 50k assets) that a few people on here have talked about but have also heard a lot of people with Fidelity and my current accounts are with TDAmeritrade which has 100 commission free ETFs.

JDDS wrote: I don't know if ME offers a solo 401(k), but any of the normal places is fine. Check WCI for a comparison chart of the different features.
I would not let a credit card offer enter into the the decision, rather look at what funds can be used & their expense ratios, account expenses, whether a Roth option is available, whether transfers from IRAs are allowed, etc.

huskerdoc2035 wrote:7. Is it a good idea to convert the traditional IRA to a roth IRA this year since we may potentially be in a lower tax bracket compared to future years, hopefully 25% this year? (also looking forward to doing a backdoor roth next year)
JDDS wrote:Can you just roll this into either the employer plan or the solo 401(k)?
Yes find out if your 403b will accept a transfer from your trad. IRA. That may be the best choice for enabling a backdoor Roth.

huskerdoc2035 wrote: I obviously need to dive deeper into the mutual funds vs ETFs but are there 1 or 2 major reasons why you prefer mutual funds to ETFs?
I also prefer regular mutual funds over ETFs, because you can buy fractional shares making automatic investment and automatic reinvestment very easy.
Topic Author
huskerdoc2035

Re: Help with portfolio for new investor, thanks in advance!

Post by huskerdoc2035 »

Bump for any other possible answers to my questions. Any thoughts/ideas are much appreciated!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

huskerdoc2035 wrote:Bump for any other possible answers to my questions. Any thoughts/ideas are much appreciated!
What did you find out about whether your current 403b will accept a transfer of your traditional IRA?

For me, the choices for solo 401k would boil down to either Fidelity or Vanguard, because both have a selection of broadly diversified low expense funds.

If your 403b will not accept the transfer of the trad. IRA, then use Fidelity for the solo 401k because it will accept the transfer. Then use only their very low expense Spartan index funds, there are about a dozen you can choose from.

If your 403b will accept the transfer of the trad. IRA, then you could use Vanguard for the solo 401k, with their very much broader selection of low expense funds to select from.
Topic Author
huskerdoc2035

Post by huskerdoc2035 »

ruralavalon wrote:
huskerdoc2035 wrote:Bump for any other possible answers to my questions. Any thoughts/ideas are much appreciated!
What did you find out about whether your current 403b will accept a transfer of your traditional IRA?

For me, the choices for solo 401k would boil down to either Fidelity or Vanguard, because both have a selection of broadly diversified low expense funds.

If your 403b will not accept the transfer of the trad. IRA, then use Fidelity for the solo 401k because it will accept the transfer. Then use only their very low expense Spartan index funds, there are about a dozen you can choose from.

If your 403b will accept the transfer of the trad. IRA, then you could use Vanguard for the solo 401k, with their very much broader selection of low expense funds to select from.
I'm pretty sure I can roll it over, I guess I wasn't sure why that would matter before but it makes more sense now when deciding where to open my solo 401k as you have explained. I still may use fidelity just because there is only the one good fund in my 403b and would rather use it to be able to diversity a bit. I'll have to think it over a little more. If I am able to get down into the 25% marginal bracket this year (which is likely lowest I'll be in for the foreseeable future) do you think it would be a good time to just convert it to a Roth and pay the taxes this year in the 25% bracket? I might just make the cutoff this year to contribute to a Roth so may not be as big of an issue this year. Thanks!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

huskerdoc2035 wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:

I'm pretty sure I can roll it over, I guess I wasn't sure why that would matter before but it makes more sense now when deciding where to open my solo 401k as you have explained. I still may use fidelity just because there is only the one good fund in my 403b and would rather use it to be able to diversity a bit. I'll have to think it over a little more. If I am able to get down into the 25% marginal bracket this year (which is likely lowest I'll be in for the foreseeable future) do you think it would be a good time to just convert it to a Roth and pay the taxes this year in the 25% bracket? I might just make the cutoff this year to contribute to a Roth so may not be as big of an issue this year. Thanks!
I am not entirely sure that I understand what you are asking.

If you roll your traditional IRA over to either the 403b or a solo 401k then there is just a transfer (not a distribution) and so no tax no matter what your tax rate is. And transfer of the trad. IRA to either eliminates the trad. IRA and so ends its interference with using the "backdoor Roth" method in the future. Please see: "Backdoor Roth IRA: Caution".

If you transfer the traditional IRA into the 403b, its still a very good idea to open and use a solo 401k.

If you turn out to be eligible to contribute directly to a Roth IRA this year, then do so.

I don't know if that addresses your concern, let me know.