Windfall management advice on DCA to a 90% stock portfolio

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
ARK2021

Windfall management advice on DCA to a 90% stock portfolio

Post by ARK2021 »

Hey there!

I am in my early 30's and i just had a substantial windfall. I was thinking about a 5 year DCA plan into a 90/10 stock/bond
Portfolio and i was convinced that this is the best allocation for me since stocks will do better in the long term and taking my
age into consideration.

That is until i listened to bogle speaking(https://youtu.be/MLgn_kVKjCE?t=1419) min: 23 about 1929 and investors who started
investing in 1918 to 1929 did good until 1929 then the crash came and investors lost 90% of their stock portfolio and they didn't break even until 15 years later.

My question is how likely such scenario might repeat itself with all the baby-boomers retiring and so forth and how can I fortify
My portfolio against it.

Thank you!
Why DCA into five years by jack bogle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa8MqIcMAfM

As Jack bogle said about DCA: "it's a way of eliminating to the maximum extent possible the vagaries of the stock
market which in the short term do things for no explainable reason except the stupidity hope fear greed of investors
and all those emotions that get into the game"
Last edited by ARK2021 on Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Re: Windfall management advice on DCA to a 90% stock portfolio

Post by Sandtrap »

ARK2021 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:42 am Hey there!

I am in my early 30's and i just had a substantial windfall. I was thinking about a 5 year DCA plan into a 90/10 stock/bond
Portfolio and i was convinced that this is the best allocation for me since stocks will do better in the long term and taking my
age into consideration.

That is until i listened to bogle speaking(https://youtu.be/MLgn_kVKjCE?t=1419) min: 23 about 1929 and investors who started
investing in 1918 to 1929 did good until 1929 then the crash came and investors lost 90% of their stock portfolio and they didn't break even until 15 years later.

My question is how likely such scenario might repeat itself with all the baby-boomers retiring and so forth and how can I fortify
My portfolio against it.

Thank you!
Unknown.
Why did you pick a "5" year DCA plan?

Things to consider:
On one hand, by not doing a "lump sum" investment, you might miss a long extended gradual run up.
But. . . . OTOH, sticking to your 5 year DCA plan might even out strong market corrections going forward and end up well.
But. . . . OTOH. . . . ??

See?
You can pick any points and stages in "the past" and project that forward into endless "what if's" with endless outcomes.
What if you had deployed all of your windfall in your portfolio at the bottom of around March, 2020?

Actionably:
1. Strategize how and what rate to DCA into your portfolio that "fits you", your income/spending needs, and. . . . just as in allocation and fund choice, "your need and ability to take risk", and "your reactivity to investing behavioral pitfalls" (wiki).
2. Structure your portfolio with simplicity, low cost, and durability. And, a balance between long term returns, volatility, and survivability. . . "to fit you".

Question:
Why did you pick a "5 year DCA"?
Why not 3?
Why not 8?

Suggest:
For greater context, post the amount of the windfall if you want, and put it in the greater context of a "portfolio review".
Here's the format:
Asking Portfolio Questions
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewt ... =1&t=6212

Suggestions on the "how" of deploying your windfall can be had.
When. . . . is another matter.

Suggested reading from the forum "wiki".
MANAGING A WINDFALL
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Managing_a_windfall

j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla »

DCA, asset allocation, or market performance will have nothing to do with your success. No matter your choice there, you really can't screw it up.

The biggest risk you will need to deal with is losing your windfall to family and friends who will be coming after you and asking for help. Be prepared to deal with these pressures.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

The math shows that you're likely to do better "lump sum" all at once.

That said, your hesitance is understandable at today's market highs.

I'd divide it up and DCA in over the next year in 12 equal installments.

Your proposed 90/10 AA is very high and a possible reason for your angst about investing it.

Consider 70/30 AA, which gives you more than 90% of the expected return of a 90/10 portfolio with considerably less volatility. https://investor.vanguard.com/investing ... allocation

P.S. - Welcome to the forum!
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

At your age and with a large windfall you don't need to be very aggressive. A moderate allocation will likely get you substantial growth of assets and avoid much of the risk you are concerned about. You have the ability to take higher risk but really not the need to do so.

As far as DCA I favor putting say 30% lump sum invested in your target allocation now and then automate a DCA monthly with a goal to be fully invested in 12 months. Also, if the market drops double up that monthly DCA. Gets you invested rather than sitting on the sidelines, gets you fully invested in a year or less and maybe teaches you to invest when the market and news in negative.

good luck
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

Good advice above.

Hands down, lump sum is the back-tested best. Going forward who knows? The market will go up or down, but up in the long run, hence the superiority of lump sum.

Maybe a way of thinking this (as articulated above) is to lump sum invest to a lower, but still acceptable asset allocation. As you experience its volatility, re-evaluate your ability, willingness and need to take risk. Perhaps you might be tempted to shift some fixed to equity during a dip and call it "rebalancing".
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Are you sure you'd be willing to stick with a 90% stock portfolio once you've DCA'ed in?
Why would you be willing to hold the allocation in the future, but not all at once now?
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Another way you could look at this is to invest 100% now at a very conservative AA.

Say, 30% Total Stock Market, and 70% Short Term Bond Index.

Then, once a month, "rebalance" 10% toward your ultimate target allocation. 40/60, 50/50, 60/40, etc.

Stop when you start feeling anxious. I would personally suggest that point be around 70/30, but its a very personal preference.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Placing the money by a DCA scheme is not a replacement for figuring out the right asset allocation. If you can't stand the possible consequences of being 90/10, then that is the wrong asset allocation. It is that simple.

There are two possible ways out:

1. Realize that 90/10 is not for you, figure out an asset allocation that makes sense, and invest in it now.

2. Better understand what the consequences of 90/10 are, recognize that it is ok, and invest in that now. How can it be ok? It can be ok because in spite of market crashes the market moves on and the long term investor who does not panic and pull out benefits from the growth and innovation of the industries that you own through stocks. If you fear this may not really be so, then see 1. What does not work is to think you can see where the market is going and time when to get in or that there is a scheme for skipping market risk.
nimo956

Post by nimo956 »

DCA is never the right answer in my opinion. The most important thing you need to do is figure out an asset allocation that you can hold through thick and thin.

You mentioned a 90/10 stock/bond split, but if you aren't comfortable holding that fully right now, what makes you think you'll be able to hold that in 5 years (when the market is likely higher)?

Once you come up with an asset allocation plan, it doesn't make sense to deviate from it because that tells you you aren't actually comfortable with it. Choose something more conservative and lump sum immediately.
50% VTI / 50% VXUS
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

When I hear DCA, I just have to ask.....

What are you doing with the money while you're waiting to invest it? I would hope that you put 100% of it into the market with the amount you're scared to invest in equities going into bonds. This will at least get you something while you're waiting to invest. If it's sitting in a 0.1% account, I have to ask.....what are you thinking? Even if the market tanks and takes years to come back, that's such a low % chance, that it really isn't reasonable to hedge against it.

I mean, what if the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor again? (Animal House reference) Are you hedging against that? What if we get a Covid 21? What about the current circumstances where semiconductor companies can name their price and are seeing both sales and margin records. Have you hedged to take advantage of that?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
ARK2021

Post by ARK2021 »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:12 am Unknown.

Things to consider:
On one hand, by not doing a "lump sum" investment, you might miss a long extended gradual run up.
But. . . . OTOH, sticking to your 5 year DCA plan might even out strong market corrections going forward and end up well.
But. . . . OTOH. . . . ??

See?
You can pick any points and stages in "the past" and project that forward into endless "what if's" with endless outcomes.
What if you had deployed all of your windfall in your portfolio at the bottom of around March, 2020?

Actionably:
1. Strategize how and what rate to DCA into your portfolio that "fits you", your income/spending needs, and. . . . just as in allocation and fund choice, "your need and ability to take risk", and "your reactivity to investing behavioral pitfalls" (wiki).
2. Structure your portfolio with simplicity, low cost, and durability. And, a balance between long term returns, volatility, and survivability. . . "to fit you".

Question:
Why did you pick a "5 year DCA"?
Why not 3?
Why not 8?

Suggest:
For greater context, post the amount of the windfall if you want, and put it in the greater context of a "portfolio review".
Here's the format:
Asking Portfolio Questions
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewt ... =1&t=6212

Suggestions on the "how" of deploying your windfall can be had.
When. . . . is another matter.

Suggested reading from the forum "wiki".
MANAGING A WINDFALL
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Managing_a_windfall

j :D
Thank you for the very elaborate reply ,
I am DCA into five years as per jack bogle advice which in this case fits into my psychological wiring ,
I am not wired for Lumpsum investments at all.

Jack bogle Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa8MqIcMAfM
Things to consider:
these are very valid questions and i struggled with them for some time before the windfall as whatif's
Until I came to the conclusion of never timing the market but at the same time eliminate to the maximum extent possible
the vagaries of the market as per jack bogle

Actionably:
my plan is to fire and forget with DCA into five years every quarter with 90% in to either VTSAX or VFIAX
And 10% VBTLX

Thank you for the portfolio review suggestions i have edited the main topic as such and i reread the MANAGING A WINDFALL wiki page
Again :D
tvubpwcisla wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:19 am DCA, asset allocation, or market performance will have nothing to do with your success. No matter your choice there, you really can't screw it up.

The biggest risk you will need to deal with is losing your windfall to family and friends who will be coming after you and asking for help. Be prepared to deal with these pressures.
Thanks for the heads-up, I am very discreet about my finances though. 8-)
Outer Marker wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:24 am The math shows that you're likely to do better "lump sump" all at once.

That said, your hesitance is understandable at today's market highs.

I'd divide it up and DCA in over the next year in 12 equal installments.

Your proposed 90/10 AA is very high and a possible reason for your angst about investing it.

Consider 70/30 AA, which gives you more than 90% of the expected return of a 90/10 portfolio with considerably less volatility. https://investor.vanguard.com/investing ... allocation

Thank you for the reply ,agreed the math adds up but lump sump investing scares me, also i will be investing 20%
of the windfall every year divided by the four quarters.
cheers :D
Dandy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:34 am At your age and with a large windfall you don't need to be very aggressive. A moderate allocation will likely get you substantial growth of assets and avoid much of the risk you are concerned about. You have the ability to take higher risk but really not the need to do so.

As far as DCA I favor putting say 30% lump sum invested in your target allocation now and then automate a DCA monthly with a goal to be fully invested in 12 months. Also, if the market drops double up that monthly DCA. Gets you invested rather than sitting on the sidelines, gets you fully invested in a year or less and maybe teaches you to invest when the market and news in negative.

good luck
Cyclesafe wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:28 am Good advice above.

Hands down, lump sum is the back-tested best. Going forward who knows? The market will go up or down, but up in the long run, hence the superiority of lump sum.

Maybe a way of thinking this (as articulated above) is to lump sum invest to a lower, but still acceptable asset allocation. As you experience its volatility, re-evaluate your ability, willingness and need to take risk. Perhaps you might be tempted to shift some fixed to equity during a dip and call it "rebalancing".
Thanks for the reply ,the argument for moderate allocation for windfall is valid here but i don't want to touch those funds before i am 60
My plan calls For investing 20% of the windfall in the each year which is close to the 30% you're suggesting but Lump Summing the whole
Amount is very hard for me to stomach , although i don't want to adjust my DCA rate in case of a market melt up or down cause i really
Want the average.
JoMoney wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:54 am Are you sure you'd be willing to stick with a 90% stock portfolio once you've DCA'ed in?
Why would you be willing to hold the allocation in the future, but not all at once now?
Thanks for the reply ,Yes for my windfall portfolio i will forget about it once i start DCA into the market as for why
DCA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa8MqIcMAfM
Outer Marker wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:11 am Another way you could look at this is to invest 100% now at a very conservative AA.

Then, once a month, "rebalance" 10% toward your ultimate target allocation. 40/60, 50/50, 60/40, etc.

Stop when you start feeling anxious. I would personally suggest that point be around 70/30, but its a very personal preference.
Thanks for the reply, i thought about doing that ,placing the funds in short term treasury bonds and moving to stocks but then i thought that i might Be Placing myself at the mercy of interest rates and the very unpredictable environment of pandemic monetary policy where short term bonds might Go negative i don't know really.
dbr wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:35 am Placing the money by a DCA scheme is not a replacement for figuring out the right asset allocation. If you can't stand the possible consequences of being 90/10, then that is the wrong asset allocation. It is that simple.

There are two possible ways out:

1. Realize that 90/10 is not for you, figure out an asset allocation that makes sense, and invest in it now.

2. Better understand what the consequences of 90/10 are, recognize that it is ok, and invest in that now. How can it be ok? It can be ok because in spite of market crashes the market moves on and the long term investor who does not panic and pull out benefits from the growth and innovation of the industries that you own through stocks. If you fear this may not really be so, then see 1. What does not work is to think you can see where the market is going and time when to get in or that there is a scheme for skipping market risk.
nimo956 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:36 am DCA is never the right answer in my opinion. The most important thing you need to do is figure out an asset allocation that you can hold through thick and thin.

You mentioned a 90/10 stock/bond split, but if you aren't comfortable holding that fully right now, what makes you think you'll be able to hold that in 5 years (when the market is likely higher)?

Once you come up with an asset allocation plan, it doesn't make sense to deviate from it because that tells you you aren't actually comfortable with it. Choose something more conservative and lump sum immediately.
Thanks for the reply, i can a stomach a 50% drop in the market and then a rebound within a 5 years period, my main concern was regarding
A very extended bear market like in 1929 where even DCA won't work.
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:57 am When I hear DCA, I just have to ask.....

What are you doing with the money while you're waiting to invest it? I would hope that you put 100% of it into the market with the amount you're scared to invest in equities going into bonds. This will at least get you something while you're waiting to invest. If it's sitting in a 0.1% account, I have to ask.....what are you thinking? Even if the market tanks and takes years to come back, that's such a low % chance, that it really isn't reasonable to hedge against it.

I mean, what if the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor again? (Animal House reference) Are you hedging against that? What if we get a Covid 21? What about the current circumstances where semiconductor companies can name their price and are seeing both sales and margin records. Have you hedged to take advantage of that?
Thanks for the reply, the funds will stay in a money market fund till the end of the DCA cycle , yeah 0.1% is horrible but a possoble
Negative return for the funds that are awaiting to be DCA in case of short term bond investing is horrible too , i don't really know
Where i will place the funds until i finish the DCA cycle.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

With a windfall of that size, and a very high income, I would suggest that 90/10 portfolio is nowhere near necessary or appropriate. You've "won the game" no need to keep playing. I would hire Vanguard PAS to help you set the course and stay it while you figure things out. If you fear tiny drop in NAV from a short term bond fund while you're DCA'ing to 90/10, that AA is almost certainly not a good fit.
Topic Author
ARK2021

Post by ARK2021 »

Outer Marker wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:49 pm With a windfall of that size, and a very high income, I would suggest that 90/10 portfolio is nowhere near necessary or appropriate. You've "won the game" no need to keep playing. I would hire Vanguard PAS to help you set the course and stay it while you figure things out. If you fear tiny drop in NAV from a short term bond fund while you're DCA'ing to 90/10, that AA is almost certainly not a good fit.
I am considering Vanguard PAS, I know that fear is paradoxical, funny enough i don't have that fear when i am investing from my salary.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

You don't need to take so much risk, OP. Somewhere between 75/25 and 50/50 will be just fine for you. How about 60/40? Remember what else Jack Bogle said: don't peak at your account balance until you're getting ready to retire. And make sure to have a cardiologist on hand when you do.
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
wetgear

Post by wetgear »

I think reducing risk by having a more conservative AA instead of an extremely long DCA plan is likely to serve you better. What if there is a run up over the next 5 years and then a crash? In that situation you'll lose a lot of your portfolio after you finally got it all in the market at a higher cost of initial purchase. At 90/10 you'll always be at risk of a big drop but @ 60/40 - 70/30 you'll be better protected in a market crash while not significantly reducing your returns. Your chance of a successful FIRE is very good as long as you don't take too much risk and the biggest risk you have is your AA not your time to get into the market.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

In this situation, with more money than most mortals will ever spend, 50/50 would likely serve you well. Jack Bogle held 50/50 and noted that “I spend half my time worrying i have too much in stocks, and the other half worrying I have too little.” You only need to go 90/10 if you really want a Gulfstream 700 personal jet.
audioengr

Post by audioengr »

ARK2021 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:29 pm
Outer Marker wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:11 am Another way you could look at this is to invest 100% now at a very conservative AA.

Thanks for the reply, i thought about doing that ,placing the funds in short term treasury bonds and moving to stocks but then i thought that i might Be Placing myself at the mercy of interest rates and the very unpredictable environment of pandemic monetary policy where short term bonds might Go negative i don't know really.

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:57 am When I hear DCA, I just have to ask.....

Thanks for the reply, the funds will stay in a money market fund till the end of the DCA cycle , yeah 0.1% is horrible but a possoble
Negative return for the funds that are awaiting to be DCA in case of short term bond investing is horrible too , i don't really know
Where i will place the funds until i finish the DCA cycle.
Have you thought about putting the balance into TIPS (Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities) or even a CD/Bond ladder?
Either one would earn far more than 0.1% interest and you would be shielded from inflationary spikes.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Some things that may not have been mentioned;

1) One option to consider would be to lump sum invest half the money and DCA the other half. That way you would be at least be half right. :D

2) You did not mention your housing situation. If you have a mortgage then you could pay it off then invest your freed up mortgage payment each month.

3) You should also look into a mega back door Roth.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/After-tax_401(k)

There are a couple of general things that I usually mention when people post about having a windfall.

1) Be sure that you have ample car insurance and a large umbrella policy. Now that that you have have more money you are more likely to be sued.

2) It is just my pet peeve but be sure that your cars are reasonably safe. Car safety has improved a lot especially in the last five or ten years. People sometimes post about having a lot of money but they are also driving a 10+ year old car that does not have many safety features that are standard equipment today. I am not saying that you should buy a high end luxury car will all the safety bells and whistles but if you are driving a car that is more than about 5 years old then you may be able get a significant safety upgrade by buying a new car for a reasonable price. With the way the used car market is so crazy now it may not cost you that much to upgrade if you are looking at a new car model that there is not a shortage of.
Topic Author
ARK2021

Post by ARK2021 »

mikejuss wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:11 pm You don't need to take so much risk, OP. Somewhere between 75/25 and 50/50 will be just fine for you. How about 60/40? Remember what else Jack Bogle said: don't peak at your account balance until you're getting ready to retire. And make sure to have a cardiologist on hand when you do.
wetgear wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:27 pm I think reducing risk by having a more conservative AA instead of an extremely long DCA plan is likely to serve you better. What if there is a run up over the next 5 years and then a crash? In that situation you'll lose a lot of your portfolio after you finally got it all in the market at a higher cost of initial purchase. At 90/10 you'll always be at risk of a big drop but @ 60/40 - 70/30 you'll be better protected in a market crash while not significantly reducing your returns. Your chance of a successful FIRE is very good as long as you don't take too much risk and the biggest risk you have is your AA not your time to get into the market.
Outer Marker wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:44 pm In this situation, with more money than most mortals will ever spend, 50/50 would likely serve you well. Jack Bogle held 50/50 and noted that “I spend half my time worrying i have too much in stocks, and the other half worrying I have too little.” You only need to go 90/10 if you really want a Gulfstream 700 personal jet.
I am starting to lean toward a 60/40 DCA five year plan since it looks like the best risk mitigating plan in case of a long bull market after i finish DCA.

audioengr wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:48 pm Have you thought about putting the balance into TIPS (Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities) or even a CD/Bond ladder?
Either one would earn far more than 0.1% interest and you would be shielded from inflationary spikes.
Tips are a possibility i was actually under the impression that you can only buy tips with 5 year duration but i checked again and they are available For all durations now, as for A CD/Bond ladder i am also considering a short term bond fund.

Watty wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:14 pm Some things that may not have been mentioned;

1) One option to consider would be to lump sum invest half the money and DCA the other half. That way you would be at least be half right. :D

2) You did not mention your housing situation. If you have a mortgage then you could pay it off then invest your freed up mortgage payment each month.

3) You should also look into a mega back door Roth.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/After-tax_401(k)

There are a couple of general things that I usually mention when people post about having a windfall.

1) Be sure that you have ample car insurance and a large umbrella policy. Now that that you have have more money you are more likely to be sued.

2) It is just my pet peeve but be sure that your cars are reasonably safe. Car safety has improved a lot especially in the last five or ten years. People sometimes post about having a lot of money but they are also driving a 10+ year old car that does not have many safety features that are standard equipment today. I am not saying that you should buy a high end luxury car will all the safety bells and whistles but if you are driving a car that is more than about 5 years old then you may be able get a significant safety upgrade by buying a new car for a reasonable price. With the way the used car market is so crazy now it may not cost you that much to upgrade if you are looking at a new car model that there is not a shortage of.
My house is fully paid for i have no mortgage and no debt, i will look into the mega Roth.

As regarding the car i am not really a car guy and i am not about to run and make a regrettable big car purchase.