Oxford Club Recommendations

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
golfer292

Oxford Club Recommendations

Post by golfer292 »

I recently watched the infomercial selling the Oxford Club newsletter with Alex Green. Doing research i realized that this pitch has ben around for many years. Not much recently discussed on Bogleheads. I thought about putting around 10% of my total assets into the 4 recommended stocks. This 10% would be in my Roth IRA left to my heirs and never touched by me. The Roth holdings currently are ITOT Ishares core S&P Total US stock market ETF.
The 4 Oxford recommendations are:
CLVT CLARIVATE PLC DRNA Dicerna Pharmaceuticals Inc GRWG GrowGeneration Corp LBTYA Liberty Global PLC Class A.

This is my current allocation: I recently went more to cash and Spaxx to get closer to age in bonds/cash. I am 72.
Symbol Percent (%) Fund Name and location held
FXNAX 32% Fidelity US Bond Index Fund in TIRA
FSKAX 33% Fidelity Total Market Index Fund TIRA
SPAXX 20% Fidelity Government Money Market in TIRA
ITOT 10% ISHARES CORE S&P TOTAL US STOCK MARKET ETF in Roth IRA
CASH 5% In Credit Union checking/ savings account

I have a government pension and social security covering my essential expenditures. I welcome thoughts on Oxford Club, their recommendations to help me decide my path forward.
barnaclebob

Re: OXFORD CLUB RECOMMENDATIONS

Post by barnaclebob »

Why do you think their picks will improve your portfolio's goals?
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

I recently watched the infomercial selling …
You can probably just stop there and move on to something more useful.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

golfer292 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:48 am I welcome thoughts on Oxford Club, their recommendations to help me decide my path forward.
Hi golfer292,

I've never read their newsletter but I have read plenty of other stock investing newsletters. Nowadays I find them to be a waste of time (I guess some people might like them if only for entertainment purposes).

It's extremely unlikely Oxford Club happens to have special insight into which stocks are good/better investments going forward compared to a broad-based fund like S&P 500 or Total Stock Market. I hold no hope that those 4 stocks are a particularly good idea for you or anyone.

Some people set up a "fun" investing account, maybe just 1 or 2% of their overall portfolio, for trying out ideas from newsletters or wherever. Some people even monitor their performance over the course of a few years to see if the recommendations actually pan out. I think the key thing is to segregate the fun account from your regular portfolio, the idea being that the fun account might just go to zero and perhaps it's best to think of it as a expense rather than an investment. Maybe you could try this approach if you can't resist buying individual stocks.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

10% of your portfolio into only 4 stocks from some random investing newsletter? And these 4 individual companies are going to be held to be left to your heirs with the hope and prayer that these companies will still be in business some day?

Um, nope. I mean why not bitcoin and lottery tickets?
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Stick with ITOT.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

If they're that good, would they really have to use infomercials?
pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter »

golfer, I think you have to decide if you want to be a Boglehead or not.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

caffeperfavore wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:30 pm If they're that good, would they really have to use infomercials?
And would you take financial advice from someone who named their club after a lace-up shoe? I mean, if they really wanted to go in that direction, the obvious choice would have been “Loafer Club.”
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

I like to think of these financial forecasters as blind squirrels. They may find an acorn once in awhile, but would not want to have to depend on them providing enough over time. I'm happy with returns that are just a couple basis points below the market average because it will supply more than a blind squirrel over the long run.
Rocket science is not “rocket science” to a rocket scientist, just as personal finance is not “rocket science” to a Boglehead.
Monster99

Re: Oxford Club Recommendations

Post by Monster99 »

Buy and hold for the long term - I would go for VTI or similar as total world market exposure will give good results. Moonshot would be crypto but which one?🥴
GG1273

Re: Oxford Club Recommendations

Post by GG1273 »

Hey, Alex Green can't be all bad - he's got a Vanguard Lazy Portfolio (with Templeton Dragon component) but it has 11 funds in it!

Most of the stock recommendations are Big Caps - like Merck, Verizon, CVS, etc. Nothing outrageous. They look at interest rates and other economic indicators for overall health of markets.

But what they really want you to do is sign up for their very expensive trading service stuff. I didn't have a need for it after a year - and didn't sign up for the expensive services. :moneybag
Bmac

Post by Bmac »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:56 am
Lololol. Almost spit out my morning coffee. And totally agree.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Bmac wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:17 am
+1.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

Bmac wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:17 am
This made me smile. Thank you!